Mst3k Guest

Classic Cartoon turn to movies

Like This Thread!
    Whats everybody favorite classic cartoon that turn into a live action movie? You like Scooby Doo had two movies,and the Flintstones, Popeye, Garfield, Josie and Pussy Cats, Dennis the Menis and so on. Only live action movies not the cartoon ones I know most of them are bad but you got to at least one of them.

Mines got to be the first Flintstone and Dennis the Menis one of thoses two movie

Kentaro Doe is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Popeye - IMO, it has the best casting out of all of them. The plot and the songs are great too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Scooby Doo, the animation used to make Scooby is mind blowing.
    Scooby is my hero
    When times get rough just ask yourself........
    W.W.S.D.
    What.Would.Scooby.Doo

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I liked Scooby-Doo. The Flinstones were alright but I don't remember much.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

DrTooth is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found both Flintstone movies to be entertaining, though I really think both times they got Barney wrong. I LOVE Rick Moranis, don't get me wrong, but he seemed way too neurotic to fully execute the role right. And Steven Baldwin played him like a Moron. More like Giligan to the Skipper than Barney to Fred. Plus, while Rosie got the giggle down, I didn't like her as Betty at all. And Alan Cumming pretty much stole the second film, if you ask me.

George of the Jungle and Bullwinkle were the best of the jay Ward movie bunch, I say. George didn't follow the story to the letter, mind you, but it did have the same spirit. And John Cleese as an ape named Ape? No better casting unless Paul Frees was still alive. Bullwinkle wasn't as good, but had it's moments. It was very true to the original series (even going as far as singing the Pottsylvanian national anthem that was only used in one episode). But a few conceptual things kinda ruined it. I still enjoyed it, though.

Popeye is a classic. While many critics slammed it, I feel this is the strongest live action adaption yet. Robin Williams IS Popeye. And Shelly Duvall IS Olive Oyl (as Mad magazine put it when they paroddies the film, she actualy talks, looks, and acts like that in real life). In fact, I say this movie was so true, it was truer than the cartoon series was to Thimble Theater. Indeed, this film is made to tell the story of Popeye the way it was meant to be told.

Both Scooby Movies were fun, but it had that Brady Bunch movie feel where they basically just satire the characters. Though the sequal did it much lighter, and even referenced monsters that appeared in the series. Though I'm not too thrilled how Sarah Michell Gellar and Freddie Prinz Jr. performed their characters (thankful Freddy Prinz didn't do the voice of Casey Jones in TMNT for that reason), making them more like their Pup named Scooby Doo counterparts. But Mathew Lillard and the woman who played Velma (name escapes me) were dead on both times. You could tell whoever wrote the films were fans of the show.

Now for the negatives

Inspector gadget (both) just didn't work. They were fun the first time, but subsequant viewings just pointed out more and more I hated about the film. A Talking Gadget mobile and Brain not actually doing anything? Please! Mathew Broaderick made Gadget a lovable lug, and not the oblivious and slightly egotistic character he was meant to be, while French Stewart was a little close...but very very whiney. At least the sequal referenced MAD agents from the cartoon series, and was a trifle more faithful (a hidden Dr. Claw for one). But still, Talking car. Dic apparently liked that horrible idea so much that 2 animated movies had the talking car (though bernie Mac stole the show in the CGI one). However, they did have the original theme song which DIC wants to disavow or not pay the rights to.

Dudley Do-Right also didn't sit too well. Conceptual nightmare rings a bell. They set it in modern times, and everything was just off. The actor that played Snidely and the actor that played Inspecotr Fenwick were close. Brendan Fraiser wasn't bad (but not right for the role) and Sarah Jessica Parker was the wrong Nel.

And while I didn't see it, Underdog fails at life.
    "Borgoroth of Coolswordoroth shimmies for no Man!"- Strongbad

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've only seen both Scooby movies and Popeye in the theatre, and have George of the Jungle on VHS. Hence:

Popeye absolutely ruled. I'm not sure if that is out on DVD, but if it is, I think I'll invest in one.

Scooby? Fuhgeddaboutit. Linda Cardellini (late of ER) played Velma to perfection, and Matt Lilliard's Shaggy was so spot on, it's a sad shame WB didn't ask him to do the current cartoon, since Scott Menville doesn't have Shaggy's voice down, even with Casey Kasem himself in the cast (from what I've read). The first film was clearly written for the internet fans who've hated on Scrappy for forever, and the 2nd was a homage to the original series, and one of the last films of Peter Boyle. Both, however, merit B+'s from me.

stephane dumas is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kenan Thompson did a good acting in the live-action Fat Albert movie. The best part was the Bill Cosby cameo.

Could we add also European cartoons: the adaptations of Asterix into live-action like Asterix & Cleopatra was very good. Christian Clavier and Gerard Depardieu performed Asterix and Obelix very well.

Tobias is offline Who you gonna call?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Underdog was a lot more faithful to the cartoon than Gadget was. I actually liked it. A few things about the movie that made it stand out for me:

- The opening sequence (which showed clips of the cartoon) had UD saying 'These adventures came later, but this is how it all started'.

- It wasn't in the trailers, but Underdog's rhyming and the power pills were both in the movie, although the power pills were more or less a deux ex machina, but they were still there.

- The kid and his father who took Underdog in didn't drag the film down as bad as one would think.

- There was no real toilet based humor to ruin the film.

- And finally, you can't go wrong with Patrick Warburton.

Underdog wasn't the best cartoon to film adaption, but it was one of the better ones.

Kolbar is offline @Cinecrisis on Twitter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Underdog was a lot more faithful to the cartoon than Gadget was. I actually liked it. A few things about the movie that made it stand out for me:

- The opening sequence (which showed clips of the cartoon) had UD saying 'These adventures came later, but this is how it all started'.

- It wasn't in the trailers, but Underdog's rhyming and the power pills were both in the movie, although the power pills were more or less a deux ex machina, but they were still there.

- The kid and his father who took Underdog in didn't drag the film down as bad as one would think.

- There was no real toilet based humor to ruin the film.

- And finally, you can't go wrong with Patrick Warburton.

Underdog wasn't the best cartoon to film adaption, but it was one of the better ones.
    I couldn't agree with you more. "Underdog" gets a bad rep for no reason. It was a good, clean family movie that was more faithful to the source material than a lot of other cartoon adaptations. They only used one or two toilet jokes that were said and not heard that were actually funny after being said by Jason Lee.

"Alvin and the Chipmunks" on the other hand was alright but nowhere as bad as people claim, although it was much less enjoyable than "Underdog." Here, they tried to modernize them by having them sing rap and hip hop music, and it just didn't work. I personally don't like the movie, but I don't hate it or shudder when I think about it.

I also happen to like the Scooby-Doo movies, but mostly the second one. It's reference to past continuity and the appearances of several classic monsters really appealed to my inner Scooby fan. Although the movies suffer from too much toilet humor, modernization, and self-parody.

I happen to prefer the animated feature versions of classic cartoons more than these live-action updates. It's probably just the nostalgia talking but I absolutely adore "Jetsons: The Movie" because it reinvigorated the classic feel of the show but upped the scales, along with some really nice animation. The story could have used some work and I still get upset about Tiffany's involvement, but overall I like it.

Other similar movies are "The Man Called Flintstone" and "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear," although these two were made in the sixties. "The Transformers: The Movie" is also similar in that it was a continuation and part of the original series. Television adaptations always appeal to me more if they involve the same creative forces from the show.

DrTooth is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolbar View Post
    "Alvin and the Chipmunks" on the other hand was alright but nowhere as bad as people claim, although it was much less enjoyable than "Underdog." Here, they tried to modernize them by having them sing rap and hip hop music, and it just didn't work. I personally don't like the movie, but I don't hate it or shudder when I think about it.
    Well, that part bothered me at first, but then again the Chipmunks have always sung at the moment type material. With the exception of the Alvin show (where most the songs they sung were public domain, and most of them were nursery Ryhme type songs). Seeing this film makes me wonder about Alvin show fans that saw "Chipmunk Punk" albums, as well as them rapping quite a few years before this movie came out. In fact, that was a plot device in the Chipmunks go to the Movies episode "Back to Alvin's Future" in which the 90's chipmunks in the 50's time period start talking about "Wrapping paper and putting a Moose on [Dave's] head."

Plus, a lot of the things I hated from the trailer came from the part of the film where the Chipmunks become sell outs, which actually worked better in the context of the film. In fact, I think the movie is an allegory of the music industry of today. Heck, I enjoyed it a hundred times more than I thought I would. Though to be fair, that's basically because David Cross carried half the scenes.

Fat Albert was another great one I forgot (someone mentioned it). I found it funny that Bill Cosby penned the script, and he never actually wrote anything for the series. Maybe his comedy monologues during breaks in the action, but it was a lot of other writers that put the show together. in fact, I found the ending
    Spoiler:
    Where the people who inspired the characters stand over the grave site of the real Fat Albert, paying their respects
    especially touching.

Didn't like the thing about they're only hungry if the writers say they were, but other than that, the film was almost flawless. And Kel was Fat Albert. he even had the right face for it.
    "Borgoroth of Coolswordoroth shimmies for no Man!"- Strongbad