0 Post(s)

"The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones" Talkback

Like This Thread!

"It's the time machine, Mr Spacely - It's kaputt!" - Fred Flintstone
    "Yeah, and they can't kaputt it back together again!" - Barney Rubble

Release Date: November 9, 1987
    Studio: Hanna-Barbera Productions
    Director: Don Lusk
    Starring: Henry Corden, George O'Hanlon, Jean Vander Pyl, Perry Singleton, Janet Waldo, Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Hamilton Camp, Frank Welker, John Stephenson, Don Messick

Plot Summary: Elroy Jetson invents a time machine that takes him back to prehistoric times, where he meets the Flintstone family.

Comments?

This movie airs today on Boomerang at 4:00 pm EST.

Anthonynotes is offline Halloween, Looney Tunes-style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw the movie when it first showed up in syndication in the mid-80's, and seen it occasionally over the ensuing years. Yes, I liked this crossover...

My two cents:

- The movie, as often cited, contradicts the Jetsons episode where a classmate of Elroy's is watching an episode of "The Flintstones" on an oh-so-clearly-never-could-come-to-pass portable wrist-TV device.

- The Jetsons apparently live in a time-era between the 21st and 24th centuries (since they originally wanted to go into the future to the 25th century).

- One of the few times we actually see the passengers/driver of the Flintstones' car power it with their feet (vs. the usual moped-like operation of the vehicle with their feet only used for stopping/starting/occasional acceleration). Also one of the film's most amusing scenes (liked Judy's way of "cheating")...

- No sign of Orbitty (hooray), but RUDI (from the 80's Jetsons episodes) plays a big part. On the Flintstones' side, there's no sign of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm; my assumption is it takes place between "The Flintstone Comedy Show" (the last appearance of the kids as teenagers) and "I Yabba Dabba Do" (first TV-film to show them as adults), and that they're probably away at college. (Alternatively, could take place before they were born, but since the film came out between the two above shows' releases, it just seemed neater to me...).

- The Flintstones have a satellite dish in the movie. Wonder how Stone Age satellite technology worked...

- Liked Fred's rationale for making the dinos dig for him and Barney while they ditched work: "Those dinosaurs have been doing that same digging for years"... gee, wonder why they went on strike later in the film. ;-)

- First use of "sexy" in a H-B cartoon, I gather (which surprised me hearing it said in a Flintstones/Jetsons thing as a kid... yeah, it was the 80's, well before the "South Park" era).

- Mr. Slate here's first name is "Nate", just as it was in the then-currently-running Flintstones series "The Flintstone Kids."

- "One of our favorite activities is dancing on the ceiling": A popular mid-80's hit song was "Dancing on the Ceiling", IIRC by Lionel Richie (with the video showing him doing as such).

- "Sears and Roebrock" = "Sears and Roebuck", also known as "Sears, Roebuck and Company", both the full names of the Sears department store.

- "Honolurock" = Honolulu, the capital of the US state of Hawaii. The gang's been to Hawaii at least once before (in a second(?)-season episode).

- Saw an episode of the "Fred and Barney Show" where the parrot-radio was shown before (there it was "playing" a baseball game, doing play-by-play with a pair of binoculars...).

- Previous time-travel instances by the Flintstones: to various spots between the Stone Age and the 20th century (in the World's Fair episode); to 25th century Bedrock (in a Great Gazoo ep); Wilma and Betty IIRC travelled with Capt. Caveman to the 20th century (possibly 20th century Bedrock) in an episode of "The Flintstone Comedy Show" (the "Futuro" episode of Capt. Caveman; however, only saw this one in Spanish, so my translating skills/memory might not be perfect...).

- The "Bedrock Rock" dance scene numbers look like they were copied/traced from the teenage Pebbles-and-Bamm-Bamm dance numbers they showed on a few episodes of the "Flintstones Comedy Hour" (the Bedrock Rockers song numbers), only updated for their Stone-Age-80's look of the rock star and his crew.

- Apparently, despite it all being "ancient history", Judy knows how to use a rotary-dial telephone and record player (which puts her one-up on most current teenagers who've probably never used such things ;-) ).

- Oddity: the bird on Slate's phone complains about the bell not being invented, despite a bell showing up on Barney's phone...

- A futuristic Johnny Carson is shown, as well as "Jet Rivers". Carson = the host of "The Tonight Show" from the early 60's through early 90's, and US TV's most famous late-night talk show host. "Jet Rivers" = Joan Rivers, actress, who had a talk show on the then-brand-spanking-new Fox TV network for all of one season (said show presumably referenced here in the movie).

- "Dan Rathmoon" = Dan Rather, longtime CBS reporter and (since taking over from 1981 from Walter Cronkite) anchorman of the "CBS Evening News" until his, erm, "retirement" last year.

- Cogswell's robot dog showed up in a few 80's Jetsons episodes.

- "Bloomingstone's" = Bloomindale's, the upscale department store. Appears in "Flintstones Christmas Carol" as the more catchy-named "Bloomingshale's" (written in a parody of the Bloomingdale's logo).

- "Tower rock records" = Tower Records, a record company (don't think it exists anymore?)

- "Aerobrocks" = aerobics, which was a huge/defining exercise craze of the 1980s.

- Wonder what Elroy bought with his share of the family's loot (ownership of "Shell Labs"? "International Boulder Movers" (IBM)? ;-p)...

- "Mr. Goldbrick": "Goldbricking" is a term for laying down on the job... ironic name for an investor. Granted, note he didn't get George's name right, calling him "Jetstone". :-)

- George has seen a car before---in a 60's Jetsons episode (Henry Orbit had a 60's-era car he was trying to restore, with George laughing off the idea of anyone riding in one of those...)

- I'd imagine the automobile company that made the Flintstones' car would be long out of business by the Jetsons' era, thus making its design aspects/plans/etc. public domain material---so Cogswell could make his own Stone Age-style cars, just not in the exact same style as Spacely's. Granted, this is based on current day laws regarding public domain material and patents; given the way current patent and copyright laws are *going*...

- an episode of "Dexter's Lab" features George and Fred together again (in a throwaway gag).

-B.

Anthonynotes is offline Halloween, Looney Tunes-style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To throw in a few more tidbits I missed earlier:

- "We'll get you home quicker than you can say 'Jack Robinstone'": Another "rock" pun, this one on the old expression "quicker than you can say Jack Robinson".

- George's erroneous bazooka-and-military-duds outfit might be a reference to Rambo, the popular Sylvester Stallone films of the 80's (along with its similar imitator films).

Does anyone know who the writers for this film were? Any current-day big names (like Tom Ruegger, Paul Dini, etc.)?

-B.

tb4000 is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was written by Arthur Alsberg and Don Nelson, who worked on Pirates of Dark Water, Paw Paws, Tom and Jerry Kids, and a few sitcoms in the 1970's era, according to IMDB.

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tower Records actually does still exist, i visited one a couple of months ago.

STARTOUNZ is offline Best buds since the Stone Age
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainatra View Post

- The Jetsons apparently live in a time-era between the 21st and 24th centuries (since they originally wanted to go into the future to the 25th century).

- Previous time-travel instances by the Flintstones: to various spots between the Stone Age and the 20th century (in the World's Fair episode); to 25th century Bedrock (in a Great Gazoo ep).
    Actually, the episode "The Long, Long Weekend" was set in the 21st century, at the same time as The Jetsons, not the 25th. I saw the episode recently. The interpretation for this episode was to show what Bedrock would be like in the future, which would be more of an aberration since it's unlikely it would still exist that far in the future. It's certainly unlikely a Rock & Gravel company would exist in a sky-high future city and run by a man who looks exactly like Mr. Slate, even if he is a descendant of the original. From what we see in this movie, what was Bedrock in the Stone Age will eventually be Orbit City in the 21st century, assuming the Jetsons landed in the exact same spot in the past where their apartment will be eventually located a million years from that point.

- The "Bedrock Rock" dance scene numbers look like they were copied/traced from the teenage Pebbles-and-Bamm-Bamm dance numbers they showed on a few episodes of the "Flintstones Comedy Hour" (the Bedrock Rockers song numbers), only updated for their Stone-Age-80's look of the rock star and his crew.
    Not just that, but a few episode of The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show as well, the actual origin of those dance sequences since that series preceded The Comedy Hour. Also notice they used a few video sequences of The Jetsons episode "A Date with Jet Screamer", particularly the part with the flying light discs and when Iggy and the dancing girls were grouped together.

- "Bloomingstone's" = Bloomindale's, the upscale department store. Appears in "Flintstones Christmas Carol" as the more catchy-named "Bloomingshale's" (written in a parody of the Bloomingdale's logo).
    I noticed that, too. It's too bad they didn't used "Bloomingshale's" for both. It would have made more sense to use that name for better rhyming.

- "TowerRock Records" = Tower Records, a record company (don't think it exists anymore?)
    It only exists now as the online Tower.com. You can order CDs and DVDs from that site, some of which can be at low prices if you're lucky.

- Wonder what Elroy bought with his share of the family's loot (ownership of "Shell Labs"? "International Boulder Movers" (IBM)? ;-p)...
    Since The Flintstones is set in the "modern" Stone Age, it's likely society would have child labor laws in effect. It's doubtful Elroy would have been allowed to run a major business on his own. Judy, being older, could.

Silverstar is offline Pac It Up!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For me, the high point of that movie was seeing Judy in a cave-girl outfit.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Doyng is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As a child, I've looked forward to seeing HB's famous families meeting each other. Sure enough, it happened over 20 years ago. I saw the movie on New York City's Fox 5, Saturday afternoon at 1pm, and recorded it too (too bad I don't have that network airing anymore, but I did purchase a used VHS copy). I enjoyed this movie more than the other HB Superstars 10 movies.

What have I enjoyed here in the movie?
    -The interaction between the families
    -The families switching eras
    -The closing instrumental theme of both shows together

This is a great family TV movie, enjoy!

Steve Carras is offline SUGAR RUSH!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolbar View Post

"It's the time machine, Mr Spacely - It's kaputt!" - Fred Flintstone

"Yeah, and they can't kaputt it back together again!" - Barney Rubble

Release Date: November 9, 1987

Studio: Hanna-Barbera Productions

A spinoff aND division of Warner Bros.Entertainment.

SF4Ever is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I happen to own The Jetsons meet the Flintstones on VHS cassette. It's still a watchable movie, 22 years after it's initial premiere. I wonder if Warner Bros. is even considering making something of a follow-up movie to the original? It's something to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast