Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

WHO remembers LINUS THE LIONHEARTED?

Like This Thread!
    A brilliantly hilarious & well written animated series of the early 1960's , made by the ED GRAHAM STUDIOS(Whatever happened to THEM? ), and starring the voices of SHELDON LEONARD (In the Eponymous Lead Role), CARL REINER, & STERLING HOLLOWAY (The former two never before & never again to perform in animation; LEONARD, by the way, was a B-movie gangster..and later was famous for creating/producing/financing classic series like "I SPY", "The ANDY GRIFFITH Show", et. al. ; REINER is STILL a name of much renown having worked extensivley with SID CEASAR & IMOGENE COCA in early TV)

The series was sponsored by POST CEREALS..indeed the characters featured in the series were also "mascots" for the various POST brands out at that time..which ultimately was the "kiss of death" for the series..when the FCC decreed that it was "nothing more than a 30-minute long commercial advertisement" (When you think about contemporary shows such as "SONIC The HEDGEHOG", "TRANSFORMERS", etc.---all you can say is "HOW MUCH HAS CHANGED!" )

The series has NEVER, EVER seen ANY type of rebroadcast (Due to the fact that the ads & programme proper were so VERY closely intertwined, & therefore, pretty much unable to have the ad parts edited out) anywhere in the States....I DO pose the query: Has this show been exhibited at any animation conventions anywhere in the USA or abroad?

It would indeed be a GAS to take a little nostalgic trip back and enjoy this programme in SOME form or other once again..
    Last edited by HannaBarberaFan; 01-30-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Ickis is offline Classic Directors Cut Edition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't really remember it as I wasn't alive 'til 1990,I do remember looking it up though and it looked okay.

Sharklady is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember that show. My favorite character in it was Sugar Bear- nothing could shake that guy.

Viper is offline I'll Never Forget You Two!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I, too, have never seen it but am familiar with it. I did mamage to snag a few ads from a collector.(Crispy Critters, anyway.) It sounds like it was a great show. I also have a few Sugar Bear ads with his enemy, Granny Good-Witch. Hilarious!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Give THIS website a try: http://www.toontracker.com and click on the various LINUS The LIONHEARTED video & audio links, there's the Theme Song fro the show; and episode called "REMEMBER The BRIDS?" (It just HAD to be one that I DISTINCTLY remember from childhood, eh?)...

Just ENJOY, eh??

Mackaybear is offline Never too old for this stuff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I loved that show as a kid. Funny as all get out. It may have been mostly to push Post cereal but still was a funny, and wel scripted show. Lots of grown up sort of aside comments by Linus and gang made it even funnier.

I'd love to see someone run it somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaybear View Post
    I'd love to see someone run it somewhere.
    Would INDEED be GREAT to see, effendi...

Even the show's original producer/director ED GRAHAM was apparently keen on the idea....for sometime in the 1980's he tried to get an EDITED* version of all 39 episodes of LINUS syndicated ..

(*That's "EDITED" as in all the references to then-sponsor POST/GENERAL FOODS would be expunged from the programmes [ALL of the characters were POSST CEREAL mascots from the box fronts - and ironically, of all of them, only SUGAR BEAR ,SUPER <GOLDEN> CRISP still survives today..])

GRAHAM died several years ago...and I've no idea WHO owns the rights to the show to-day...

Ennyhoo, here are the ORIGINAL FULL-LENGHT OPENING and CLOSING SEQUENCES....in GLORIOUS MONOCHROME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4JSNC_wLg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XEm7dEpykg

As an aside, the Signature Tunes & Incidental Music were all composed by HANNA-BARBERA composer HOYT CURTIN..

And, as a kind of slap in the face towards rival cereal giants KELLOGG, the studio enlisted the services of one THURL RAVENSCROFT - better known as the Original TONY The TIGER - to provide back-up vocals....

And it was the GREATEST AGGREGATION OF TALENT **EVER** ASSEMBLED for ANY half-hour series....live or animated.....JONATHAN WINTERS, CARL REINER, STERLING HOLLOWAY, JERRY STILLER and ANNE MEARA, RUTH BUZZI...and, of course, in the famed lead role...none other than SHELDON LEONARD!

ENJOY!
    WILLIAM DENBY HANNA (1910-2001)

JOSEPH ROLAND BARBERA (1911-2006)

FOREVER IN ALL OUR HEARTS!

"And just what in the Hell does all of this laughter have to do with the making of animated cartoons?" - EDDIE SELZER

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think I looked it up once but I have never seen it.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've not seen this show before either (as I suspect most people on Toonzone who are under 40 probably haven't), but have read about it, and seen the opening/closing credits on YouTube---pretty catchy theme song/opening...

Yeah, all the characters were from the then-contemporary Post cereals... from looking it up online (particularly here: http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-post.html) :

- Linus promoted "Crispy Critters", which they apparently brought back in the 80's (with a Jimmy Durante-sounding mascot instead of Linus), as I recall from childhood... also recall they tasted awful (apparently unlike the 60's version, the version from the 80's didn't have much sugar...).

- So-Hi, a stereotypical (judging from the looks of him/the cartoon's introduction) Asian youth who promoted something called "Sugar Coated Rice Krinkles", which I assume is something akin to Frosted Rice Krispies (when Kellogg's bothers to produce that Rice Krispies variant).

- Sugar Bear and Granny Goodwitch (Sugar's nemesis) promoted Sugar Crisp (nowadays dubbed "Golden Crisp"), with Sugar the only character on this series still used today (though been awhile since I've seen a Sugar Bear TV commercial...guess his name must be off-putting...).

- Lovable Truly was a mailman who promoted Alpha-Bits (letters... which mailmen deliver... get it?).

- Rory Raccoon promoted Post Toasties (their name for ordinary corn flakes).

The series was sponsored by POST CEREALS..indeed the characters featured in the series were also "mascots" for the various POST brands out at that time..which ultimately was the "kiss of death" for the series..when the FCC decreed that it was "nothing more than a 30-minute long commercial advertisement" (When you think about contemporary shows such as "SONIC The HEDGEHOG", "TRANSFORMERS", etc.---all you can say is "HOW MUCH HAS CHANGED!" )
    That's because the FCC deregulated such children's TV advertising restrictions in the early-to-mid 1980's, thus leading to the spate of 30-minute-commercials-as-TV shows that've come down the pike since then.

Still, I imagine what's probably keeping Linus off the air is either A) whoever it is that owns the series (if it's Post, they probably don't care about a 40-year-old TV show with mascots they mostly don't use anymore, half of them pushing cereals they don't make anymore or have long since stopped using anything cartoonish to promote [see: Post Toasties, which for long as I can remember had a generic "adult" look to the box]), and/or B) a lack of market for old cartoons being aired on TV period (outside of Boomerang, nobody seems to want to air any cartoons older than first-season "Simpsons" these days, if *that* old), and/or C) the character of So-Hi being an unacceptable/dated stereotype by today's broadcast standards.

Eric Brown is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remembered

Yes, I did watch this series in my formidable teen years. My slightly younger brother actually had more interest in the series than I did. He even went so far as to make audio recordings of some of the shows musical numbers. The one I have left, on tape, is "The Coconut" ("do the coconut").

I thought the show was a bit different from the usual Saturday morning fare I was watching at the time. It contained more dialogue, almost as though it was a stand up comedy routine with "off the wall" characters. One written sourse, I have, put their per week budget at $87,000, which was triple the standard Saturday morning program budget.

Two things in particular standout in my memrory of the show. The closing credit sequence where, I think it was Billie the Bird, mops up a spotlight image on the stage floor and one particular commercial where Linus first meets and is teesed by LoLita LaCheeta while Linus is trying to promote Crispy Critters cereal. Otherwise I haven't seen the show since it left the air in 1969.

THANX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast