toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Free Spirit "Love That Winnie" Talkback

Like This Thread!
    Free Spirit #7 - Love That Winnie (Page 1)

This is another cartoon based on an episode, but probably the last one for a long time. I do eventually want to adapt "Two For The Road," in which both Robb and Winnie learn to drive (because that situation has to happen again).

The original "Love That Winnie" was kind of a weak episode. The TV Guide mentions in the listing that it was postponed from an earlier airdate, leading me to theorize they didn't like how it turned out and shoved it away from sweeps, into December (the trees are still brown in the exterior shots). The problem is that it takes about eleven minutes for the plot to get going, mainly because this is the episode they stuck that 1950's sitcom daydream into.

Despite that, this was the episode I wanted to redo out of all the others, because as I mentioned when I discussed this show before, it asked a question I thought was worth exploring. This was actually the second script I wrote. And it turned out much better than its source in my eyes, good enough to bump it to the "season finale." I had to cut Part 1 off in a weird place because it wound up so big that it had to be separated into THREE parts.

In 1989, Winnie is watching Donna Reed and then daydreams about fifties sitcoms. So in 2014, she's watching eighties sitcoms -- and daydreams about being in one of THEM! The scene, naturally, consists almost entirely of lines stolen verbatim from the 1989 version.

I can't imagine anyone voluntarily watching Donna Reed now. They mock her for it on the show, so maybe not even then.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: The DARK TV VAULT has been opened again and this time we take an exciting, exotic trip to OTHERWORLD! It's good food!

Dsneybuf is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Love That Winnie" actually became the second episode of the show that I watched, but I won't say that I don't think it deserves not to become one of your favorites. Considering how often I expressed anticipation for your version, I think I'll refrain from commenting on it until after at least the second part, when I'll get to see some more of the changes you made.
    All I can say about Donna Reed consists of admiring her performance in It's a Wonderful Life, and admitting that the list of '50s sitcoms I like begins and ends with I Love Lucy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The server problems are still being worked on. Though I think they will be fixed by July, I gotta be honest. It's been long enough now that I regret putting Part 1 of this story up, as opposed to shelving it for the fall.

It went up less than an hour before server maintenance began, but at the time I thought this would be a simple deal that'd be resolved by the next week. It's turned out to have far more complications. Right now, it's officially summer, and I'm not in the mode to crank out one a week. I'm deep into production of the next BANG issue, and performing my usual summer experiments and projects that are invaluable to the growth of my own skills.

When I can update my site again, it'd be smarter to call June 1 the official finale and continue "Love That Winnie" in the fall. It's an important story I want to craft perfectly.
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: The DARK TV VAULT has been opened again and this time we take an exciting, exotic trip to OTHERWORLD! It's good food!

Dsneybuf is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How long have pages 9 and 10 been up? I didn't read them until today.
    Also, I planned to show the first seven comics to some people I know who never saw a full episode of the TV show, in hopes that their feedback could help figure out why no one other than me posts comments on this series. How urgently would you want such feedback, urgently enough that I should let them read this story even while it remains incomplete?

To comment on one of the most vital differences I noticed between this comic and the episode that inspired it: All this talk about the trophy makes me imagine Gene sounding more like Tara Strong than Edan Gross, but even if I already correctly predicted the trophy's significance, it sounds like something that could still feel poignant in this context.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Uh, 9 and 10 went up by accident. I was going to cut off access to this issue and delink it from the main page until the fall when I could start it back up. That required some new main page graphics. Then I got distracted by my birthday.

If you want to introduce some people to the comic, it'd be smarter to wait until then.
    www.platypuscomix.net

wizard55 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Had to post once I saw all the discussion. thanks to your review of the first two episodes and me randomly watching the series on YouTube I ended up purchasing the entire series and pounded through the whole thing over the last two days. I love it for its quirky weird 80'sness and Winnie is awesome. Lol. just like you I would love to track down the unaired episode, I heard it aired in Canada possibly. I also joined in on fanart and drew this little picture which while I don't think it's the greatest likenesses, any free spirit fan art is better than nothing.

http://wizard55.deviantart.com/art/W...irit-480925266
    Last edited by wizard55; 09-07-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    She just completely revealed her secret to Thomas there. ....Or maybe not; he's pretty thick.

Stick around; the comic resumes in two weeks.
    www.platypuscomix.net