toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"Most Memorable Nintendo Power Moments" Talkback

Like This Thread!

Most memorable Nintendo Power moments

Get the clues that you can use: Nintendo Power!

What are your favorite moments, if you have 'em?
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The comics, for sure. Especially the awesome Metroid comic. Never had much use for the news or reviews but I liked those.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Dsneybuf is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My favorite regular features that you didn't mention include a caption contest, and a yearly "awards" program in which readers could vote on polls regarding their favorite game of the year, their favorite video game score, the best character from a new game, etc. I remember finding the most satisfaction in seeing Super Smash Bros. Melee sweep the 2001 awards, and seeing Super Mario Sunshine get declared to have the most messed-up video game story of its year.
    Regarding individual moments: The letters column once featured a letter that began, "Nintendo should have a magazine," then said some things it should contain. The person editing the letters column declared it Letter of the Month, and replied something like, "Nintendo should have a magazine. That would be kewl.(sic) It could have reviews, tips on winning levels, cheat codes, information on Pokemon, and even previews of future games! Nah, that'll never happen. It's a nice dream, though. Maybe someday..." I also remember when they said to feel grateful that the Nintendo Gamecube can't play DVDs, because if it did, your relatives would spend so much time watching movies on it, you would never get to play the games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsneybuf View Post
    I also remember when they said to feel grateful that the Nintendo Gamecube can't play DVDs, because if it did, your relatives would spend so much time watching movies on it, you would never get to play the games.
    Yeah, I remember that. How sad. I also remember when EGM put out that fake Sonic and Tails in Melee rumor, and NP said in response "This is proof you should only trust US for your gaming info." They were also pretty bitter toward abuse of Missingno. For a time they were kind of like scolding nannies, which I never touched on.

To be honest I was up against deadline and now I'm thinking of more things that should have been in there, so I'll probably add to it tomorrow. Like for example, I just remembered I had a letter published in it. Whoops, that was important...
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember subscribing to Nintendo Power through my teen years. Of those video tapes Nintendo sent to subscribers, I remember getting the N64 preview one, because I was hyped for the system, because I wanted to play Star Wars Shadows of the Empire when it came it. Yes, my Star Wars fandom has led me to buy video game consoles. I primarily got the Gamecube for the Rogue Squadron games.

As for the tape, I think I lost it a long time ago. My family pretty much got rid of videotapes when we converted to DVD.

MadMan400096 is online now Social Outcast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Om my God, yes. I subscribed to Nintendo Power for about a year, and I have to say, I was quite amused to finally rediscovered that fanart with Link puling off a Marylin Maneuver. That one in particular was part of one of the issues during my time as a subscriber (mid-2004 to early 2005, when I was around 8 or 9) and I remember loving that one. My brother actually ran into me reading this article when I got to that part, and he asked me to e-mail it to him, which I did. He'd honestly thought he'd never see it again. So thank you Peter, for finding this gem from my childhood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never subscribed to it, but I would habitually go to the magazine rack and read each issue when my mom was grocery shopping. I remember their coverage over the Gamecube launch, and they had a list of "why the Gamecube kicks the pants of PS2 and Xbox. They listed its stupid purple color as a positive because that meant that dust didn't show up on it as well.

Chris is offline Corn is good and good for you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I started in 1993 and quit sometime in 2007, so I was subscribed for about 15 years. What led me to stop subscribing? Many factors, but the main one was I could now get all my news from the Internet. I was 9 years old when I bought my first NP issue (August 1992 and I still have it.) My parents bought it because I was looking for stuff about Mario Paint, and it was on the cover.
    My comic! Now updated daily!

See Thelma and Franklin This and more in the KWVT Video Zone! Ringing in 2014!

Neo Yi is online now The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ahh, memories. I actually wasn't aware of Nintendo Power until around its midway point in 1997 (same year I got into Electronic Gaming Monthly), but it's been a consistent purchase from that point on. I will miss it to the fullest.

Also, when you mentioned fanart, I suddenly remembered (Yeah, I forgot this happened to me - it's been 12 years!) I had one of my artwork printed in Nintendo Power. It really made my day.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    Also, when you mentioned fanart, I suddenly remembered (Yeah, I forgot this happened to me - it's been 12 years!) I had one of my artwork printed in Nintendo Power. It really made my day.
    Which issue was it?
    www.platypuscomix.net

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The first issue of Nintendo Power I ever received upon the subscription starting was the July '91 issue, with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves on the cover. Funnily enough, I never bought (or even played) the game.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the 50th issue as a great moment. That was one of the coolest covers; as James Rolfe said, owls are cool.

Neo Yi is online now The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Which issue was it?
    139. The one with Banjo-Tooie on the cover. Sadly, you can't see it well because this was during the time Nintendo printed fanart as backgrounds in the letters page. Mines is in the last letter page to the right of the Power Charts. It's a group shot of various Nintendo characters. I cringe at the awfulness of my old, ollllllllllld artwork. But I'm still happy.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Hero Ponchin is offline Hai Hai!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The demise of Nintendo Power was so saddening, many gaming personalities actually decided to create an entirely new Nintendo-themed magazine.

Nintendo Force Magazine

The first issue is out now, I suggest that you subscribe to it. My review's coming later.
    "Motivation will always beat more talent."- Norman R. Augustine

"So does a hit-and run. Cleary, a wise man."-Turbo

LinkBacks (?)