toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mulberry "Hielten Sich Für Captain Kirk" Talkback

Like This Thread!
    Mulberry #26 - Hielten Sich Fr Captain Kirk (Page 1)

This was the story that I picked to introduce Mulberry to Portland in BANG #1. I had two ideas. One was to write something about Mulberry coming to the city to set up the office for her new paper and the struggles involved with creating one. The other was to use this idea I'd come up with earlier in the year about her using the BBC Cold War telly-film "Threads" as a weapon against someone who'd annoyed her. I ended up picking the "Threads" story, and in the end I think this was the better choice, because I loved building up so much tension regarding this movie's existence.

The best part of this story is that it's something the reader can actually flirt with doing. You do so at your own risk, though. As I said last January in the YouTube topic, I believe I've found the darkest, scariest, most depressing film ever made. It's an uncensored depiction of nuclear fallout and the only point of the movie's plot is to kill everybody in it. And for an extra touch of spookiness, the macabre warning screens that appear on TVs before the bombs drop are the actual screens the BBC had ready in case that really happened!

The first half of the movie is just British people doing things and talking to each other while news about war escalates on their TVs in the background. I tried to copy their dialogue verbatim, but the English English is so thick that at some point it became incomprehensible to me (see the scene on the street; "Doing the moonlight flit, then?" was the best I could translate.)

Yes, that's Nemi and Cyan standing there on page 5. I put them in to see if anybody would recognize them. Haven't heard from anyone who did.

The story was written with newcomers in mind and meant to establish the kind of sly, mischievous person Mulberry is. The fact that she's rich was not revealed to BANG readers until the last page -- you have to know what to keep a surprise for your ending.

Don't forget that no matter where you live, you can now buy BANG #1 (and BANG #2) for your tablet through the BANG E-Market, with lots more content than what is shown here.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I watched some of Threads (skipped the boring parts) after you posted about it earlier and liked it. It's strong stuff, but that's pretty accurate to nuclear war. An even sadder one is When the Wind Blows.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good call on making this the first one for BANG readers - it's one of your funniest ever.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

LinkBacks (?)