toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I Learned Something Today

Like This Thread!

No matter how old you get, you never stop learning new things. When you learn something new, share your knowledge with the rest of us by posting it here.

Today I learned why crows divebomb at squirrels. I see this a lot and it's appalling how they pick on small rodents who can't fly. On the local news today, they showed a crow that was actually divebombing people, right in front of a bridge walkway. I thought they just did it because crows are mean, but it turns out, the crow on the news was defending a nearby nest. He just happened to build the nest on the tree right next to the bridge.

So there you have it. If a crow divebombs you, it thinks you're a threat to its nest, so....just walk away.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today I learned not to eat barbecued food with rice. Most of you probably haven't done it, so you don't know that potato chips and fries perform a role in erasing the burnt smoky aftertaste from your mouth. Rice absorbs nothing. My mouth tastes nasty right now.
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Chris is offline Corn is good and good for you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today I learned I like strawberry-flavored marshmallows. I've always wanted to try them, so I did,
    My comic! Now updated daily!

See Thelma and Franklin This and more in the KWVT Video Zone! Ringing in 2014!

TenPoundHammer is offline Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last Friday I learned that Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is awesome.

...What? I didn't watch CN for most of the 2000s.
    My Twitter

We'll leave the light on for you.

http://tehshigelisok.deviantart.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wander Over Yonder looks awesome too.

Anyway....it's time for YOU to learn something:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...6821--oly.html

Because this girl's from Oregon, I already knew who Mariel Zagunis is, and yeah, it does annoy me when deserving Olympians get the shaft. Don't get me started on Lindsay Jacobellis, the OTHER woman who won gold in skiing but was completely ignored while Lindsey Vonn got all the advertising. Lindsay was FAR better; she had a real personality. When she aced her run she flopped onto her back and kicked into the air; I loved how undignified she was about everything. Vonn was just so boring.

For those who are having a hard time remembering due to the similar names, Lindsay was the one with the tiara. That was another thing. She actually wore a tiara when she skiied. And it had cheesy flashing lights on it! Lindsay ruled, man.
    www.platypuscomix.net

Chris is offline Corn is good and good for you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I learned that Arctic Circle fry sauce is yummy and goes great on microwave White Castle cheeseburgers. I bought a bottle of the stuff because I went there Wednesday.
    My comic! Now updated daily!

See Thelma and Franklin This and more in the KWVT Video Zone! Ringing in 2014!

Shawn Hopkins is online now TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Wander Over Yonder looks awesome too.

Anyway....it's time for YOU to learn something:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...6821--oly.html

Because this girl's from Oregon, I already knew who Mariel Zagunis is, and yeah, it does annoy me when deserving Olympians get the shaft. Don't get me started on Lindsay Jacobellis, the OTHER woman who won gold in skiing but was completely ignored while Lindsey Vonn got all the advertising. Lindsay was FAR better; she had a real personality. When she aced her run she flopped onto her back and kicked into the air; I loved how undignified she was about everything. Vonn was just so boring.

For those who are having a hard time remembering due to the similar names, Lindsay was the one with the tiara. That was another thing. She actually wore a tiara when she skiied. And it had cheesy flashing lights on it! Lindsay ruled, man.
    Lindsey Jacobellis is a snowboarder. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Julia Mancuso? She wore a tiara. Anyway, Lindsdey Jacobellis is hilarious, because she is the showboat who blew a gold medal doing a celebratory method air on her snowboard run. Seriously, watch this, it's one of the dumber moments in Olympic history.

Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Lindsey Jacobellis is a snowboarder. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Julia Mancuso? She wore a tiara. Anyway, Lindsdey Jacobellis is hilarious, because she is the showboat who blew a gold medal doing a celebratory method air on her snowboard run. Seriously, watch this, it's one of the dumber moments in Olympic history.

Oops. Yeah, I got them mixed up. That's the one thing I remember that other girl for.
    www.platypuscomix.net

Aquadementia is offline Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What I learned in the last 24 hours is that I find the grunting in womens tennis really annoying.
    Now I can scratch that off the list of ways I might be some sort of freaky pervert.

Also, bleach is a good way to get things clean. I knew that already.
    The new thing I learned is that for something like a water cooler that never gets to dry out you can rinse with a little vinegar to get rid of the the chlorine.
    Then to get rid of the lingering vinegar essence you can use a baking soda solution.
    All of which takes a really long time. But still somewhat less time then rinsing repeatedly with water to get rid of that chlorine taste.
    Maybe next time I can try lemon juice instead of vinegar. That would save a step because if the water has a slight lemon taste that's something I might even pay for.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Shawn Hopkins is online now TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Today I learned that Bananas Foster is incredibly dangerous. People have been maimed during the preparation of this flaming dessert. Probably better to go with something a little less flashy and inflammable.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...severe/1174963

http://www.tampabay.com/features/foo...cident/1175097
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today I learned of a glitch in the Donkey Kong arcade game. I was watching a guy play it and on the fourth level, he walked up to DK and repeatedly jumped in place over and over next to him, getting 100 points each time. I had no idea that was possible.

I saw this at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, which I did not know existed last year until it was too late...this year I managed to go. The people who promised they'd be there in the linked video were not there....maybe they show up later in the evening. There were many many games to drool at, but most were overpriced unfortunately. There was more amusement for free anyway (besides the $20 cover charge): plenty of playable games were on the show floor, every famous arcade game and every console up to the fifth generation; they sold games up to the sixth. There was a working Apple II I got to mess with. If you wanted to walk home with an Apple II, by the way, they were $200. Yeah. Never pay more than $50 for one.

In the end I couldn't justify overpaying for old games when I knew I wouldn't have time to play them, and I also know several excellent ones are coming out next month on the 3DS I'd rather save my money for (999 sequel!!). Ah well.
    www.platypuscomix.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today I learned the voice of Wallace (from Wallace and Gromit) is 92 years old. (!!!)
    www.platypuscomix.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today I learned the name Samantha, while having 19th century origins, was not popular until the debut of "Bewitched." The writers selected that name because, at the time, it sounded as archaic and mystifying as "Endora." Now "Darrin" sounds goofier.
    www.platypuscomix.net