Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Electric Wonderland "The New Adventures of the Nettropolis Narvel" Talkback

Like This Thread!
    http://www.platypuscomix.net/electri...ssue=15&page=1

This one's been cooking for a long time. I wanted to introduce the idea that it was possible in this world for someone to live an entire life that was scripted or pre-programmed by someone else, without their knowledge....but it took me quite a while to figure out what this guy was going to be. Was he a knight? A wizard? A pirate? I settled on a superhero, since that way I could fool people by starting the story out in the normal setting, like it was actually taking place...with the slight intended feeling that "wait, things don't seem entirely right...."

By the way, you have my promise that I won't ever throw the twist in that EVERYTHING in this series has been a Sim Life. That would be a horrible payoff for all the time people have invested in it. I would never do that to you. It's a good thing Electric Wonderland isn't a mass-produced Marvel or DC legacy comic book, or writers would be abusing this device all the time. "I don't like everything the guy before me just wrote, so I'm saying everything he put down was a Sim Life! There! Nyah!"

You might have noticed this one took longer than usual to come out. The truth is, I've been busier than ever, and haven't had as much time to devote to the cartoons as of late. (Next week, you'll know why.) You may have to wait longer for part two to appear as well. As you might have figured given how close to May it is, this is the last one of the season anyway.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: In the newest (relatively speaking) Misfit Christmas Special, someone stole Santa Claus! Can a bestselling author and her talking mouse get to the bottom of this?

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm liking this one a lot! Good choice for a season finale, too.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've had this idea for a Freakazoid cameo in my head for years, but until now, I never found the right situation to use it in.

http://www.platypuscomix.net/electri...sue=15&page=13

Spoiler:
    Do you know why I'm proud of this one? I feel like I just wrote the Theory of Relativity or solved the Millennium Puzzle or something. Do you know how hard it is to write a love story that DOESN'T have a predictable ending?

It's really hard since all the elements are set in stone. They have to meet, they have to grow close, there has to be some complication, one party has to realize their mistake and get on a horse and ride across a majestic valley to the airport just in time to stop the other party from boarding a plane and leaving for North Korea forever.....the ending is just a foregone conclusion. The only way most writers know to make a love story unpredictable is to have them lose each other in the end, which isn't as satisfying.

But I did it. I solved the problem. I wrote a story where the reader can't see any way for the relationship to end in anything other than tragedy, and then flipped it around. This is why EW is such a good world to work with -- I couldn't pull this kind of stunt in any other series I do.

I enjoy tackling story problems like this, and solving them is even better. Ahh.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: In the newest (relatively speaking) Misfit Christmas Special, someone stole Santa Claus! Can a bestselling author and her talking mouse get to the bottom of this?

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That might just be your best ending ever. Were I not in a public computer lab right now, I would have stood up and shouted "YAY!" upon reading it. Bravo, good sir!
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Dsneybuf is offline Behold.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Congratulations, Mr. Paltridge! Neither Narvel nor Vicky seems to have more flaws or imperfections than the other. I think the events of the last few pages turned this into one of my favorite Platypus Comix stories.
    Also, I wondered if anyone from the Nettropolis Free Press would ever appear in this comic, and I think you chose a perfectly appropriate way of fitting Aerynn in.

Unfortunately, I might have to warn you now that I might not have time to comment on the next season of Electric Wonderland ​like this.

Scirel is offline WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I completely did not expect that ending, Totally great and amazing, plus exactly waht I needed after such a blah da at work. IMO, with a bit of tweaking this could be a legit movie.
    I am the squid of the vapor surrounding your dreams, sorrow, nightmares, and bootie pants. So watch out about that.

- Raocow