toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

"The Five Best Sets Ever" Talkback

Like This Thread!
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: You've read about the creation of Cow and Chicken from Dave Feiss....now hear an alternate side to the story, courtesy of ex-wife Pilar Menendez!

Neo Yi is offline GANNONDORK!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh, god, DVDs and extra content are like sweet music to my ears. It's not that I'm not fine getting a DVD with only the episodes just for the sake of owning them, but they usually tend to be series I don't care too much for its behind-the-scene contents and more just to own and watch. However, I'm largely in the same boat as you, Peter. I'd rather there be bonus contents than none at all if I was given a choice. Especially for a series/movie/whatever that I love in which case, yes, I do want extras and goodies! That said, some of my personal favorites:

Moulin Rouge: I actually have the Baz Luhrman Red Curtain Trilogy which has their own set of contents here and there, but the Moulin Rouge DVD (outside of it being my favorite of the three) is the one with all the extras I look at all the time. Galleries of the many costumes the characters wore, interviews, trailers, camera comparisons during the dance scenes, the scripts, etc. It's jam-packed with doo-dads.

The Incredibles: Honestly, looking at that Toy Story DVD set ya got there, I don't think The Incredibles has as much. And the blu-ray version I heard contains more (which I plan to nab), but there's a lot of stuff to view and seeing this is my personal favorite Pixar film, all the better.

Back to the Future DVD set: I don't know if the blu-ray version has more content (but I'm probably going to nab that, too) but I generally enjoyed the goodies when I got the DVD set ages ago. Most especially an FAQ answering pretty much all the plotholes and/or general confusion from the movies. Cleared up a great hell of a deal.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    I talk a bit about How To Train Your Dragon 2.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You have no idea how much it hocks me off when DVDs of something I love come out with no special features. What's the point of all that storage space on the disc if you're not gonna use it?!

I would love that Zim set, if it weren't nigh impossible to find now. I wish I had that Toy Story Ultimate Toybox, too - but I do have the 2-disc Monsters, Inc. DVD, which is just as comprehensive. I also own the Back to the Future set that Neo Yi mentioned, and I've watched the hell out of it over the past year; everything is on there, even the Universal Studios ride.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Dsneybuf is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let me admit first that I won't count DVD sets that contain more extras than I have time to watch, although their rosters sound very promising.

Beauty and the Beast
    Diamond Edition Blu-Ray/DVD: Not only are the documentary great, the commentary entertaining, and the deleted scenes, trailers, and Work-in-Progress version treats, but this is one of the only Disney Blu-Ray discs in our collection to support bookmarks.

Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy DVD: I own the version from 2002/2003, and couldn't stop repeating the extras back in the day. I consider Blade Runner, Back to the Future, and Spirited Away my top three movies. Unfortunately, since some of my cousins have the Blu-Ray version of BTTF, I got to see for myself what my copy lacks, and might have some trouble going back.

Psycho Universal Legacy Series DVD: The 90-minute documentary and archival publicity material probably would have felt satisfying enough, but the rest of the bonus disc's content really sweetens the pot, as does the lavish case. I consider this one of the only DVDs in this post not to leave me wanting something more. (Thanks to the bonus episode of Alfred Hithcock Presents, I can even boast that this has more extras than the Blu-Ray!)

Iron Man Ultimate 2-Disc Edition Blu-Ray: Actually, I've yet to replay the main documentary, but factoring the whole platter (namely that documentary, the special effects tests, the deleted scenes, and the inclusion of RDJ's screen test and some HD trailers), this might be the most enjoyable live-action Blu-Ray I've bought yet. The second movie's Blu-Ray has an even better set of bonus features (Genndy Tartakovsky's storyboards!), which makes me wish Paramount sold them together, but then again, this movie also has a higher number of boring/tedious scenes than the first one.

Fifth place is a toss-up between:
    Blade Runner Four-Disc Collector's Edition DVD: It has a longer list of extras than any other set in this post, and I enjoyed comparing the 1982 theatrical cut and the 2007 final cut, but some of the extras have less replay value than those from the four sets previously mentioned.

West Side Story 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray/DVD: The two hours' worth of extras prove more comprehensive than the running times suggest, but the restored movie itself has a handful of scenes with subpar picture quality. (It's a small handful of scenes, but they really stick out to me.)

If physical media dies, I'd miss, in addition to bonus features, the ability to watch movies in places that don't contain free wi-fi, such as a car, a hotel room, or an airplane. My laptops don't have enough room for digital copies, and I feel dirty watching them on my iPhone.

EDIT: I felt awkward becoming the first person in this thread not to say anything about Pixar (especially since my current avatar has a Pixar character), so...(spoiler tags added to keep this post from looking like it goes on too long)
    Spoiler:
    My top three Pixar movies include WALL-E, Toy Story 3, and The Incredibles. Regarding the DVD/Blu-Ray releases, WALL-E and Toy Story 3 could have used some more variety like the DVDs of Monsters, Inc, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles; it seemed to me like they had too many talking heads and not enough galleries, flyarounds, test footage, etc. (The WALL-E Blu-Ray apparently contains some of that, but I didn't have a Blu-Ray player back then.) Toy Story 3 doesn't even have a deleted scenes section. I didn't mention The Incredibles in my list because for years, we only had a barebones bootleg copy, and in the time since we bought the actual 2-Disc DVD, I still haven't finished watching everything.)
    Last edited by Dsneybuf; 03-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.

John Pannozzi is offline 30 Years of Turtle Power
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have the Zim and Real Ghostbusters sets and they are excellent. I have the Alien collection on DVD and I've been meaning to upgrade to Blu-ray eventually.

I'd add the King Kong Collection (Best Buy Edition), Nightmare on Elm Street Platinum Series Boxset, the Powerpuff Girls Complete Series Collection, the Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes, the Batman: TAS and Batman Beyond Complete Series sets and the E.T. Ultimate Gift Set to the list.

Zorak Masaki is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dont forget the ultimate superman collection. All 5 superman films, plus multiple documentaries,commentaries, the richard donner cut of Superman 2, every fleischer/famous studios superman cartoon, and even oddities like superman's 50th anniversary (an INSANE special which treats superman as if he was a real person), Superman vs the Mole Men, and The Adventures of Superpup tv pilot.Even if you only like the first 2 films, those extras make it worth it.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorak Masaki View Post
    Dont forget the ultimate superman collection. All 5 superman films, plus multiple documentaries,commentaries, the richard donner cut of Superman 2, every fleischer/famous studios superman cartoon, and even oddities like superman's 50th anniversary (an INSANE special which treats superman as if he was a real person), Superman vs the Mole Men, and The Adventures of Superpup tv pilot.Even if you only like the first 2 films, those extras make it worth it.
    Ehhhh, man I can't bring myself to owning Superman 3 and 4 so that just brought this set down a couple notches for me. Same reason I didn't go and get the Batman set because of "Forever" and "& Robin". I give kudos to WHVfor splitting up the options, cause I'm sure they saw the handwriting on the wall with those stinkers in the collections.

Okay, by the way I loved the list. The only thing I never owned was the Alien boxset.

I would've added the LOTR Extended Editions, (as mentioned) Blade Runner 5 disc collection, Dawn of the Dead- Ultimate Edition, (R2 ONLY) The Fly - Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you forgot

Popeye Vol 1-3

and

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 1-6