toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

This is not going to end well

Like This Thread!
    There's a new social network around. (That's bad enough, but it gets worse.)

It's now registering more traffic than YouTube, Google Plus or Reddit. What's its secret? Is it catching on with those young, hip, skateboarding, breakdancing twentysomethings? No....it owes its success to the complete opposite. It's the Lawrence Welk of social media, unabashedly unhip and whitebread, and proud of it. Its userbase is nearly entirely craft-crazy food-obsessed probably-plump females. There are simply more of them than of you.

If this is the first time you hear this word, be prepared to hear it about 324,231,019 more times before the year's out. "Pinterest."

How's it work? In a nutshell:
    it's like rarified tumblr
    like if you distilled a blog down
    you'd get a tumblr
    and if you distilled tumblr, you'd get pinterest
    like how deep does the rabbit hole go
    It's a good question. How simplistic can social media get? And if it gets any bigger, is everyone gonna be forced to get a Pinterest account or be locked out of society? Is TZ going to have to have a Pinterest button to remain relevant? Is every post going to have one installed in 2013?

On to why this isn't going to end well. The Web as a whole is an ugly alley where the immature and the cruel reign supreme simply because the better of us get tired of fighting them and give up. Pinterest is very different from any other kind of gathering site that has ever happened. It's heavily censored and filled with sheltered people (Mormons make up a large percentage of users currently). It's the equivalent of a happy 7-year-old girl skipping into a biker bar full of Hell's Angels, sitting at the center table, opening her Smurfs lunch box and cheerily singing "Isn't it the most loveliest day?"

It's just screaming "Invade me, hack me, fill me with the worst things possible." The moment 4Chan finds out about this it's all over.

They have no idea how evil people can get, and they're about to find out. It might be fun to watch from a distance, though.

http://www.pinterestyouaredrunk.com
    Here's how you can see the worst of it so far without actually having to wade in there.
    Last edited by Peter Paltridge; 02-22-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

Aquadementia is offline That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    What, the internet isn't big enough for wedding planers and scrapbookers?

It's kind of like saying you're looking to get hacked for those funny little drawings you do.

After a brief browsing of it, it's kind of a clever site. It's basically a cute way to do bookmark sharing.

It looks like a trivial use, but I can see the value in it. I've been in the spot where I wasted a lot of time finding something on the internet the hard way, when nearly everyone else knew about it. But since everyone was keeping that information private, they all probably wasted just as much time looking for it.

Sorry, but you look past that it's kind of middle class and woman orientation, it's a smart site.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Kitschensyngk is offline back in the running
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've seen the homepage. Looks like what would happen if Tumblr collided with Etsy.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: The Wizard of Speed and Time
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Dynamite XI is offline Whoa, where have I been?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True story: the first time I saw the logo was in a friend's Facebook post, and I thought it was some brand of beer that I hadn't heard of.
    Troper!

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Obama's on it now.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/p...191419508.html

I don't think he really knows what this is.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

Kiddington is offline tut tut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They're (Yahoo mostly, with other randomly assorted internet writers thrown in for good measure) already calling it the next Facebook killer. You know, as if Google+, Twitter, tumblr, and the like simply don't cut it.

I don't see how that's even remotely possible given that the demographics between this and the aformentioned are totally different, but I guess at this point, I can believe anything.

Aquadementia is offline That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    All the comments are like "Obama needs to quit screwing around on Pinterest and focus on important things like finding me a job! Now, what's this other Yahoo article about Lohan going back to court?"

But, is there something I'm missing about Tumblr by not being a member?
    The Pinterest interface looks considerably better.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just saw a human interest story on NBC Nightly News about Pinterest.
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...