toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is online now Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Electric Wonderland "Valentine's Day Massacre" Talkback

Like This Thread!

http://www.platypuscomix.net/electri...ssue=13&page=1
    Guess what? 14 pages again. I can't do that twice in a row -- I had to break it up. One week had to get the short end of the stick and it was this one.

There are no specific web cartoonists being targeted here -- just lame tropes that a lot of amateur ones tend to embrace. For instance, "Historical Humors" is NOT based on "Hark! A Vagrant!" because that doesn't suck. It's referring to the kind of lazy joke you see published in the papers.

I could have gone the "make fun of Popular Webcomic X" route, but I didn't think it was wise....a couple years ago, I wrote a Keiki script called "The Beefiverse" where Beefer started his own webcomic, and there were plenty of jabs at the more infamous strips out there in it....but since I wasn't familiar with many of them myself, I had to look them up. And if I couldn't get it at first, what hope did anyone else have? It wasn't funny enough. Eventually I came up with having Beefer be a video reviewer, and did that instead.

This is the problem with jokes about webcomics...you can't make them too specific because everybody's list is completely different save for two or three like Penny Arcade or PVP. There's one exception in this cartoon, though....the "eyelid guy" strip is a true story. Someone E-mailed me a few years ago asking if I would take a look at his comic strip. That is essentially what I saw -- same joke, same drawing style, and that freaky deformity for no explained reason. I had to admit to him I didn't think it was good enough, and that is what he told me: "It's the eyelids, isn't it? But that's what makes him unique!" He really thought that looked good. I hope he doesn't still read the site, 'cause if he sees this....
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first and most vital step to becoming a successful webcomic artist is making people realize you don't suck. Because when people think "webcomic", it's stuff like "Beacon of Truth" and the eyelids guy that come to mind first. You really have to sift through the dregs to find gems like Brentalfloss and 2GAG.

Can't wait to see where this goes! I love NJ's complete lack of patience here, as well as the lampshade he hangs on EW's abundance of female characters.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Aquadementia is online now Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Gross. Eyelids don't do that. I was trying to figure out if it was hair or eyelashes or something,

Bad web comics make you appreciate the unfunny newspaper comics.
    Well, not really.
    I think the important thing is to actually having something to say, or a really good joke.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Funky Al is offline I ate the WHOLE PLATE!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. B. Warner View Post
    gems like Brentalfloss
    I spent more time than anybody rightfully should puzzling over the nature of this statement. Its meaning still eludes me, and I remain at loss as to what my response should be. The best I can think of is to leave some choice urls here.

*ahem*

WEBCOMIC GEMS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

http://www.bobwhitecomics.com/

http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php

http://achewood.com/

http://gunshowcomic.com/

http://rice-boy.com/ <---(Read this one)

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php
    I have a comic it is here

http://buffetoflies.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.platypuscomix.net/electri...ssue=13&page=7

I think there's a hunger amongst Electric Wonderland fans for more adventurous, action-packed storylines (or at least that's the impression I get), so when I deliver stuff like this instead, I feel like I'm betraying people. But this time, my advice is to suck it up and quit whining, because this is actually one of the most important EWs I've ever written.

Whenever you're starting a series, one of the things you can't control is how well the various characters will complement each other in the future. You don't really know how they'll flesh out, so you can't predict how well their chemistry will be as a group. That's how we start out with things like Jeff+Britta, and wind up with things like Jeff+Annie, because writers just don't know yet what'll work. It's one of the more dangerous aspects of writing a series, and if you discover no chemistry you can wind up with a dead series if you're not careful.

This is a bottle episode based on the simple premise "people act weird when they get attracted to someone." I took Trawn, Aerynn and Shroomy's personalities, turned them up to 11 and ricocheted them off each other -- and it turned out very good. It turned out hilarious in fact; I especially liked Shroomy's pathetic attempts to woo this guy by using moves she absorbed from the media; that reveals a lot about her (and some people actually do this).

This was a very important one because it revealed to me the group played well off each other, which is a huge relief to discover. You can't force this kind of thing. It either happens or it doesn't.

The story had to be done and it HAD to be written -- you'd be much worse off reading EW without it. More adventure next time. Maybe.
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Dsneybuf is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First of all, I didn't mind this comic not having much action. The humor made up for it in spades (especially Aerynn's "love" panels).

Secondly, I find it nice to read about you acknowledging the importance of chemistry in a show about random people adventuring together. One of the main reasons The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes became my favorite contemporary children's cartoon involves the fun I have seeing how well the superheroes do (or don't) get along in between those long and epic fight scenes. I'd say the interactions in this comic proved about as much fun to watch.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't understand the ending.

Spoiler:
    What is the girl at the end lying on? Did someone get hit by a car or what?
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I don't understand the ending.

Spoiler:
    What is the girl at the end lying on? Did someone get hit by a car or what?
    Spoiler:
    A shopping cart. Lululu can't afford a wheelchair so she gets around in a shopping cart, remember?
    www.platypuscomix.net

Aquadementia is online now Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I liked the sudden black and white change and Shroomy trying the old yawn-n-stretch.

Where does foot washing as a flirting technique come form? The Bible?

I also was left confused as to exactly what happened at the end.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow.....A scene from this story just went up as the illustration for Meet Cute. I have to say I'm really flattered to see this happen. And it works!

Also....really? Nobody here got this reference?
    www.platypuscomix.net

Dsneybuf is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After one day passed without you going back and coloring the page in, I got the feeling it referenced a manga, but I don't read enough to know which one.

Like I said, the other Tropers who like your comics very, very rarely help me update the articles. Either no one got it, or someone did get it, but didn't take note of it for reasons I can't figure out. (I intentionally put off adding entries for "Bottle Episode" and "Everything's Better With Sparkles" to see if one of them would at least add one of those. No dice. )
    Last edited by Dsneybuf; 02-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First of all, let me just say your Scott Pilgrim shout-out is hysterical.

Second, as a fellow writer/character-creator, I truly do appreciate stories like this, where everyone's personalities are just banging off each other nonstop. The laughs always come fastest and funniest from these sorts of stories. Bravo and well done!
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Wow.....A scene from this story just went up as the illustration for Meet Cute. I have to say I'm really flattered to see this happen. And it works!

Also....really? Nobody here got this reference?
    I got it. Very clever.

Just as cool in the game. Not as cool as the "Kiss Kim Pine" attack, but what the hell is?

Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.