toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Princess Pi vs. Everything" Talkback

Like This Thread!

Last summer I was brainstorming for new characters and one of the drawings I made was of an Egyptian princess named "Pi." Just the symbol, "Pi." I liked the name "Princess Pi." But then I realized that I couldn't name her Pi, because it was the Greeks that discovered Pi -- the Egyptians didn't know about it.

Then the thought came into my head that grew the whole series: "Instead of changing her name, why don't I make everything ELSE around her not make any sense?"

And as I've developed it over the last six months Princess Pi has become, basically, a satire of storytelling itself. Every stretch of imagination, every suspension of disbelief that we take for granted, every TV Trope there is and then some, is going to be exaggerated in this series as much as possible. I'm going for at least 3 "Wait a minute, WHAAAT?" moments in every story.

I haven't gotten to test this series much, so I'm kind of flying blind. All I know is, I'm having FUN with it. More fun than I've had with anything in a while. I needed this -- a cartoon where I can just take my hat off and not constantly worry about plotting and pacing and just....go nuts. Hopefully, you'll have as much fun reading it.

And HOPEFULLY, you'll say something here, because in the words of the insufferable Lea Michele, "I need applause to live." I'm baring six months of work here for the first time; I need comments to make it pay off. Unfortunately I'm posting this the morning after an extensive downtime and most people don't even know the forums are back up.

Here are some early sketches of Pi. At first she was younger and more wide-eyed and more compatible with the crazy world around her. I had (and still have) concerns that some people were going to pass the series over simply because it had "Princess" in the title. I couldn't think of a better name than the main character's. But why did people not mind that Xena had "princess" in the title?

So I thought then, "Just make her hot, then they won't care." And I grew her up.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

mobo85 is offline This space for rent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm only four pages in and I already want a Princess Pi/Axe Cop crossover. They were made for each other.
    "If you take away our cartoons, we'll grow up without a sense of humor and be robots."
    "Really? What kind of robots?"
    -Lisa and Bart Simpson, Itchy and Scratchy and Marge

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader View Post
    Last summer I was brainstorming for new characters and one of the drawings I made was of an Egyptian princess named "Pi." Just the symbol, "Pi." I liked the name "Princess Pi." But then I realized that I couldn't name her Pi, because it was the Greeks that discovered Pi -- the Egyptians didn't know about it.
    What about the Ptolemaic Dynasty?

Well of course birds can talk: they run a major Yakuza in Japan. Plus on one occasion one of the Bird Yakuza's enforcers fell in love with the head bird's Queen Bee wife (and visa-versa) so the enforce and the queen bee ran away together and started to live under a bridge with a Venusian, a Star, a Kappa, a Samurai Barber, a hulking gun-toting male Nun, a beautiful man-hating sadist, a ex-salary man obsessed with white lines, a clumsy girl, a pair of metal headed brothers, and some others here and there. So yeah: Bees also.

So is Princess Pi's archenemy Ethiopian Empress B. Fuller?

Aren't Pi's clothing also alive? Even her unmentionables?
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...

Blankments is offline The Sparkle Rises!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I rarely read webcomics, and I enjoyed the random humor of this. I'll be reading future installations of the comic if you write more. In fact, I'm looking forward to it!
    I'm reviewing 2011 in film at my blog! Check it out!

Read my P&F and MLP:FiM crossover!

Vote in the Greatest Cartoon Character Ever competition!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyone00 View Post
    What about the Ptolemaic Dynasty?

So is Princess Pi's archenemy Ethiopian Empress B. Fuller?

Aren't Pi's clothing also alive? Even her unmentionables?
    1) I guess that's possible, if they were well-educated.

2) Que?

3) I did think of that, and decided I didn't want to go there.
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1) I guess that's possible, if they were well-educated.

2) Que?

3) I did think of that, and decided I didn't want to go there.
    1) You know the Egyptian ruling dynasty started by the Macedonian general Ptolemy I Soter after Alexander the Great's death. Cleopatra VII (yes that Cleopatra) was one of the last of the Ptolemaic Dynasty.

2) Ethiopia is an ancient and long time rival of Egypt. Buckminster Fuller (you know geodesic domes, fullerenes, and the like) did not like Pi.

3) O.K. then.
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...

TenPoundHammer is offline Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And it already has a TV Tropes page. Clearly you've made it big, Peter.

I think this is your best work yet. It's hard to write rapid-fire randomness well. I've tried.
    My Twitter

We'll leave the light on for you.

http://tehshigelisok.deviantart.com/

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is the best thing ever. I swear, I haven't laughed this hard in a week. Bravo!
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Aquadementia is offline Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like, have you even cracked a Book of the Dead?
    I hope not, because they are painted on Egyptian tombs, and if you cracked one it would be destroying a world heritage sight.
    More relateable keeping things in modern times though.

I think there’s plenty of room to fit in an unknown Ptolemaic princes. I have no idea if it’s an appropriate name or not. It could be the ancient version on Ka$ha.

Then the thought came into my head that grew the whole series: "Instead of changing her name, why don't I make everything ELSE around her not make any sense?"

And as I've developed it over the last six months Princess Pi has become, basically, a satire of storytelling itself. Every stretch of imagination, every suspension of disbelief that we take for granted, every TV Trope there is and then some, is going to be exaggerated in this series as much as possible. I'm going for at least 3 "Wait a minute, WHAAAT?" moments in every story.
    I'm trope ignorant. I've only recently stopped calling them tv troupes. I was off the internet for a very long time and when I came back everyone is using the word “trope.” My dictionary references it to 1533, so it’s not a new word, but I don’t care to know the definition because it appears to be part of this list mania people have these days. So if things are funny because of how they appear on a list, that’s over my head, I can only judge if it’s funny by itself.

It may be a very smart way to advertise your comics though.

Here are some early sketches of Pi. At first she was younger and more wide-eyed and more compatible with the crazy world around her. I had (and still have) concerns that some people were going to pass the series over simply because it had "Princess" in the title. I couldn't think of a better name than the main character's. But why did people not mind that Xena had "princess" in the title?

So I thought then, "Just make her hot, then they won't care." And I grew her up.
    Or you could have give her more adult “attributes” and say she is even younger to appeal to a certain japanime crowd. @_@

I love Pi’s earrings. It’s a great way to give her a regal look. Because of the way they hang they are reminiscent of the gold and blue head scarves worn by pharaohs. The gold bracelets are nice too. The gold collar doesn’t look bad, but it reminds me more of those neck rings worn by tribes women then anything Egyptian.

I was already laughing at the cover page, especially Pi smacking Mona Lisa.
    Really zany stuff. Laughs on every page.
    You went off the deep end from the start. With everything alive I can’t wait to see how you get out of this.
    What I thought really worked well are the weapons, bullets and house.

To be critical, I thought there was a missed opportunity when she ripped the top off the hydrant there was no acknowledgment that it was a living thing and she took it’s head off.
    And I’m not sure what’s going on with the green inflatable wavy thing. I didn’t follow how the He-Man thing exploded her into the air. May be one of those over my head things.

Definitely very good work.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquadementia View Post
    And Iím not sure whatís going on with the green inflatable wavy thing. I didnít follow how the He-Man thing exploded her into the air. May be one of those over my head things.
    That one was a head-scratcher for a while. I wanted the Wacky Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tube Man to shout something before blowing up, as the previous thing did, but using "Allah Akbar" twice wasn't funny to me. And there's no other thing suicide-bombers are known to say. In pencil I tried just having it appear and say nothing before blowing up, but that wasn't funny either. The only other phrase in my head was, for some reason, what She-Ra shouts to power up. But that worked for me. So...shrug. I used it.

The longest thing I spent time on was page nine -- I had to draw several different versions of Pi grabbing an airplane by a rope dangling from its cargo bay, swinging it in a circle and hurling it toward another airplane.....in the end I had to accept that it would never look as cool on paper as it did in my head. Also, I couldn't find a reference picture for the guy who said "I can see their parachutes!" on DBZ. I had to draw a generic Toriyama-style guy instead. It's just as well. He'll be back.

The gold collar doesnít look bad, but it reminds me more of those neck rings worn by tribes women then anything Egyptian.
    Well, the gigantic collars on Egyptian royalty that spread all the way across the shoulders are too ridiculous even for Princess Pi. I don't see how they could move.
    www.platypuscomix.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.platypuscomix.net/princes...ssue=1&page=11

Spoiler:
    I'm kind of annoyed by that cartoon cliche where a bunch of sharp things will hurtle toward the protagonist, only to pin him/her to the wall and all of them miss by molecules. How plausible is that? The last knife is usually delayed for some reason and strikes right near the crotch. Part of the reason why I made Pi indestructible was so I could get away with cliche-breaking jokes like having that final knife actually hit to kill.

Also, her very first story ends with her killing everybody in the entire world.
    www.platypuscomix.net

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Spoiler:
    I'm kind of annoyed by that cartoon cliche where a bunch of sharp things will hurtle toward the protagonist, only to pin him/her to the wall and all of them miss by molecules. How plausible is that? The last knife is usually delayed for some reason and strikes right near the crotch. Part of the reason why I made Pi indestructible was so I could get away with cliche-breaking jokes like having that final knife actually hit to kill.
    Great job on that - I literally laughed out loud when I read that gag. Perfect timing!

Also loved the Toy Story joke near the end. I knew some kind of Toy Story reference was coming at some point in this story, and I was not disappointed!
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Funky Al is offline I ate the WHOLE PLATE!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This isn't bad from what I've read of it, but be warned that you're treading shaky ground when dealing with "random" humor. It's good that you're thinking outside the box for this one, but never attempt random for the sake of random. Be random only if you KNOW a good joke is coming out of it.
    This kinda stuff is what separates the the KC Greens from the Tim Buckleys.
    I have a comic it is here

http://buffetoflies.com/

Cherry_Cake is offline Don't eat me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm liking Pi so far. I'd like to see her and mulberry meet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry_Cake View Post
    I'm liking Pi so far. I'd like to see her and mulberry meet
    Can money buy immortality? Maybe not, but it could sure try.