toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
    TenPoundHammer is offline Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I wanted to show the Top 10 New Toons article from September 1998 in its entirety, so here goes:

Spoiler:

I love how they pick "Brats of the Lost Nebula" as a "Top 10". I didn't watch WB anything at the time, so I had never heard of it until this issue. Turns out it only made it as far as January 1999.

"Ed Edd n Eddy" always nauseated me for some reason. Their voices combined with the squigglevision literally made me sick in the same inexplicable fashion that Toaster Strudels do. That and one of the kids (I think it was Kevin) sounded just like a mean kid on my bus.

Spoiler:

"From the Files of Flying Rhinoceros" must've been a working title, because the actual show was called "Flying Rhino Junior High".

I already posted one of the Flying Rhino guy's other works in the YouTube thread. It was a shopping mall kids' club tie-in called "Get Muggsy!"

I was always embarrassed to watch Powerpuff Girls because it was a "girls' cartoon". But then I became a brony.

Note the sig on "Secret Files of the SpyDogs"? I know Jim Benton mainly as the creator of "It's Happy Bunny", that sarcastic bunny character you see on all sorts of merchandise.

Spoiler:

"Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain" is also presented with its working title, which is rather unwieldy. I hated "Animaniacs" growing up, so I figured I would also hate "Pinky and the Brain" by proxy. It got to the point where I wouldn't even touch anything WB related.

"Walter Melon" is actually adapted from a Franco-Belgian cartoon called "Achille Talon". You'd think the animation world in general would've learned from how badly "Marsupilami" tanked that adapting Franco-Belgian comics shouldn't be done unless it's Tintin or the Smurfs.

I would still take a Marsupilami movie over any more Smurfs stuff any day, though.

Spoiler:

"Histeria!" escaped my radar as well, due to it falling under my aforementioned "I hate Animaniacs, so I'll hate anything else WB and/or FOX related too" mantra. I might like it. (As an aside, my "No FOX" mantra somehow failed me long enough for me to catch a few episodes of "Ned's Newt".)

"The Wild Thornberrys" I remember being good. And yet whenever I think back to late-90s Nickelodeon, I keep forgetting it ever existed.

"Pepper Ann" I remember sort of watching for a time, but turning against it because my 11-year-old Asperger mind wouldn't accept that a character could be named for a food. And a food that I really liked, no less.

Spoiler:

And the rest of that One Saturday Morning ad. I thought Recess was all right at first, but then I saw "Great Jungle Gym Standoff" and relayed the "Uncle Mary" joke to my mother — I didn't pick up on the context, so it didn't make sense to me. She said it didn't make sense either, since I didn't give her the context that I didn't pick up on in the first place, and that was enough to turn me off from the series.

Obligatory "Doug sucked after they moved to Disney, even though I know a lot of the staff didn't change" rant in 3... 2...

Spoiler:

I wish I had thought to actually check out the Dumb Bunnies cartoon. I loved those books when we read them in 3rd and 4th grade.

Never was into superheroes, so Batman in any incarnation was completely off my radar. This must've extended to all action cartoons, because I don't think I was aware of even "Gargoyles" until maybe 5 years ago.

I found "The Lionhearts" on Hulu. It takes a famous lion (in this case, the MGM lion) and builds an animated sitcom around it — sound familiar? However, "The Lionhearts" is family friendly. Also, the theme song is catchy. And I don't think anything with Betty White in it can possibly suck, except for that "Just Men!" game show she did on NBC in the 80s.

The "Godzilla" cartoon got 2 seasons, which is about one-and-a-half more than I would've expected.

"Bad Dog" is listed on TV Tropes' "So Bad It's Horrible" page. It remains the only cartoon based off a screen saver, although I'm told they were once in talks to make "The Flying Toasters Show".

Spoiler:

"War Planets" was actually called "Shadow Raiders" by the time it made it to series.

The "RoboCop" cartoon was, like "The Lionhearts", one of the last things put out by MGM's animation arm. I honestly have never seen a lot of movies, "RoboCop" included. I'm sure it did not translate well to cartoon.

Even when I first saw this issue at age 11, I was shocked to see "CatDog" listed on here. As big as that show was, you'd think its afterthought nature in this article would've put it in the same dustbin that "The Brothers Flub" fell into. (Seriously, why no love for Flub?)

Spoiler:

"Mythic Warriors" sounds more 1988 than 1998.

And I'll spare any "Ratatouille" jokes with "Anatole" because well, I haven't seen "Ratatouille" either. I won't watch a movie that I can't spell. (Kidding.)

And the #1 reason I scanned all this:

BIRDZ.

Seriously. I was able to watch the whole series, and it is very sadly underrated. It has an original premise (as it says, Eddie often carries a camera with him and films everyday life), but it defies many conventions of slice-of-life cartoons with child protagonists, namely:

* Not all of the episodes are set at school and/or with friends.
    * Authority figures are actually portrayed as reasonable. Eddie doesn't always agree with his parents, but the series never makes them out to be mean or draconian.
    * Eddie's teacher reminds me of my third grade teacher: laid back, friendly, and big on supporting creativity. However, his teacher is far hotter.
    * The voice actors are great. I think my favorite is the scratchy voice Julie Lemieux gives Batty.
    * The series has a good sense of atmosphere, with all sorts of avian touches that don't seemed shoehorned in (for instance, one episode is about their migrating for the winter).
    * The writing is loaded with puns and jokes that work incredibly well, even if some of the pop culture references are now dated. One of my favorite jokes was Eddie's dad saying he went to school with a peacock who went into television.
    Last edited by TenPoundHammer; 06-20-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    My Twitter

We'll leave the light on for you.

http://tehshigelisok.deviantart.com/

Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Why did you hate so many good things?
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TenPoundHammer View Post
    I love how they pick "Brats of the Lost Nebula" as a "Top 10". I didn't watch WB anything at the time, so I had never heard of it until this issue. Turns out it only made it as far as January 1999.
    It was actually cancelled after three weeks.
    (Insert plug here)

TenPoundHammer is offline Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Why did you hate so many good things?
    Silly Asperger's thing, I guess. Anything new or unfamiliar was sure to be off my radar. Even tangential associations were enough to turn me off from anything.
    Last edited by TenPoundHammer; 08-29-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    My Twitter

We'll leave the light on for you.

http://tehshigelisok.deviantart.com/

Kitschensyngk is offline back in the running
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Powerpuff Girls was the MLP:FIM of its time in that it was a show that threw target demographics out the window. ANYBODY could watch it. I was a college male with Asperger's and I NEVER felt ashamed to turn it on.

Actually you could say that about all of the original Cartoon Cartoons.
    I sometimes wish our cable company picked up Cartoon Network sooner. These shows certainly undid the FCC-mandated damage that shows the likes of those on One Saturday Morning caused.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: The Wizard of Speed and Time
    I review stuff on HubPages.

iheartmovees is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First post on the forums, and I wanted to thank you JB for all the awesome memories! I remember a friend of mine had a copy of the Atlantis issue from 2001 and I loved the movie as a kid and the comics included too. I do have a small request though. Would you be able to post the last scan from the magazine too? To be more precise, it would be page 84 from the magazine. I'd really appreciate it!

Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    He might be too busy at the moment, but I can give it a shot. Did you mean the page that implied boy bands are grown on an island instead of made? Because it's probably true.

Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

iheartmovees is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    He might be too busy at the moment, but I can give it a shot. Did you mean the page that implied boy bands are grown on an island instead of made? Because it's probably true.

Haha I appreciate that, but it wasn't quite what I meant. I should've been more specific in my post; I was referring to the last scan of the Atlantis stories in the magazine. Thank you for your help!

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

LinkBacks (?)