toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader View Post
    I though fairy dust came from fairy butts.
    Nah, I'll tell you where it REALLY comes from...

Spoiler:
    You know that trail of sparkles she makes as she's flying around?

Well, let's just say that generic brand dandruff shampoos don't always work...

Wanna buy that book NOW?

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: The Thief and the Cobbler
    I review stuff on HubPages.

8tucker7 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitschensyngk View Post
    Nah, I'll tell you where it REALLY comes from...

Spoiler:
    You know that trail of sparkles she makes as she's flying around?

Well, let's just say that generic brand dandruff shampoos don't always work...

Wanna buy that book NOW?
    So, it's dandruff? Is that what your saying?

Lonestarr is offline Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Long and boring"? Was I rerouted to the IMDb message boards by mistake?

I don't know what movie you saw, but the Paulie I saw was a sweet movie. Why should the Nostalgia Critic bother with this when he hasn't even touched Cop and a Half? Doesn't seem right to me.
    I feel that a big problem with today's society is that we don't listen to our fellow man -- especially when I'm talking.
    "Never be afraid to borrow from those wiser than yourself." - Mr. Jimmy (voice of David Arquette) on "Pelswick"
    "What do I care what some yahoo like Lonestarr posts on the internet?" - President Skroob (voice of Mel Brooks) on "Spaceballs: the Series"
    Links in a chain: DeviantArt | Fanfiction.net | Mr. Cellophane

8tucker7 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. B. Warner View Post
    As far as I know, it did not - unless it's in one of the Comic Zone specials that I didn't bother to collect.
    It ran in the February 2005 issue. I checked myself.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 8tucker7 View Post
    It ran in the February 2005 issue. I checked myself.
    Well, I'll be damned. You're right! (My mistake - I don't really have the 2000s issues as ingrained in my mind as I do the 1990s issues.)

Speaking of which, let's jump into an issue that has lots more to say than the last one did. Presenting my longest article to date: September 1993!

Spoiler:

This was the third regular issue I ever got, and so it's one of those that seems to have a nostalgic memory on every page. It helps that there's just so much packed into this one, too...

Spoiler:

It's like a cross between Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter, only with wrestlers and samurai warriors. What's not to love?

Spoiler:

Angela DiNello and Andrew Graham practice the age-old art of sucking up to the DA editors to ensure that their letters get printed.
    Sounds like Lindsay Reese is in the midst of a tornado warning. She can't die yet, she doesn't even know what century it is!
    And yet another name-drop of The Good Son before it actually came out. Before you tell a 12-year-old to see a movie, you should first probably make sure Macaulay Culkin doesn't swear in it.

Spoiler:

First time I made chocolate milk with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, I made the mistake of refrigerating the syrup first, so it all just sat there at the bottom of the glass in big brown clumps. What a m_r_n.

Spoiler:

Finally, Slang Patrol has some legitimate phrases in it! Although I don't know if anyone's ever said "grandma's teeth" in an effort to be cool.
    "Hey, hey, hey"? I'm guessing the kids at Haleiwa Elementary are very into either "What's Happening!!" or "Fat Albert".

Spoiler:

More info about Radio AAHS, which resurfaced in DA in 1995 through an advertisement that appeared in several issues. Wow, the DJs make five whole bucks an hour! No wonder they're ridin' around in limousines all the time. "To the arcade, Jeeves!"

Spoiler:

Knowing that Pauly Shore gets his clothes out of his mom's closet makes me very uncomfortable. It might explain some things, though.
    Also, DA tries and fails again to predict which movies will be awesome, this time with Jon Lovitz and North. But we all forgave him for that anyway, after we discovered "The Critic".

Spoiler:

I'd like to scarf down an entire bag of Skittles at once, just so I could be known as the guy who invented graporancherlemolime.

Spoiler:

I know it's just a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. T did spend most of his time polishing his gold chains. (Or "changes", whatever.)
    I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that Chekov "manned" the Enterprise. I think the most he ever did was stand around enough to get a cameo in Generations.

Spoiler:

Joey Lawrence turns out to be surprisingly literate for a teen heartthrob. That word association thing reveals some interesting tidbits, though - Julia Roberts = mouth? Hmm...

Spoiler:

This was my first glimpse of "Bonkers". Looking at it now just makes me want to watch the show again even more. It may not have been stellar, but it probably didn't deserve all those potshots on "Animaniacs" either.

Spoiler:

Part two of the Mickey Mouse thriller "Return to Blaggard Castle" is in this issue, and once again, it's just so much fun. Its only handicap, really, is being a sequel to a story that ran in 1933 - surely, I couldn't have been the only kid who was wondering when Mickey had been in this castle before.

Spoiler:

I'd love to see this get animated, though with Disney's current squeaky-clean image, I know it wouldn't have a chance in hell. I'm sure the Mickey of this story would gag if he ever laid his pie-cut eyes on "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse".

Spoiler:

Yep, this is how kids dressed in the '90s. If they somehow had boatloads of cash to blow on Rodeo Drive, that is.

Spoiler:

The Dunckins - not Archie, but an incredible simulation. Look, they've even got the "thinly veiled parody of a real-life facet of pop culture" thing going on.

Spoiler:

If I know REM, they'll only read if those books are printed on recycled paper.

Spoiler:

"The afternoon sun glittered off the barracudas" is one of those sentences I didn't expect to read today, but in the back of my mind I kinda hoped I would.
    Really, if you swim into a school of barracudas, odds are they won't hurt you. More than likely, they're just on their way to a Heart concert.

Spoiler:

"The Perils of Mickey" must have been a comic book series or something in the '90s - not only did we get that great Blaggard Castle story, but there's also all this merchandise. We may never see stuff like this again - I can't imagine the Phantom Blot being too marketable to today's kids.

Spoiler:

Thank you, Joe Rocket, for explaining why wavy hair exists. Now I know exactly why no matter what I do, it always looks like there's a Jack Russel terrier sitting on top of my head.

Spoiler:

AAH, I'M TRIPPING -- Oh, it's just the graphic designer getting artsy. Never mind.
    All in all, this article makes surfing sound like a lot of fun. Now I just wish the only beach near my house wasn't up against a toxic, bacteria-laden river littered with landfill runoff and a fine layer of motorboat fuel.

Spoiler:

Oh c'mon, that's more than a little ridiculous! I mean, if you had a yard that big, wouldn't you at least put a trampoline or something out there?

Spoiler:

In part two of "Automania", Max and PJ somehow survive the car crash, and Goofy manages to put the car back together with bubble gum. (He could just as easily have used duct tape - the Mythbusters proved it's possible.) Pete dons the Rad Rat costume for a publicity stunt at the car lot, until the genuine article shows up, and high-speed hijinks ensue.

Spoiler:

Ha ha, now it's stuck in your head!

Spoiler:

Also in this issue is "The Power of the Pyramids", a neat little "DuckTales" story with more of that great A. Lavaradori artwork that I love so much. This isn't the first time Magica's tried to horn in on Scrooge's subconscious, though - you'd think the old girl would remember that it didn't work the first time, either.

Spoiler:

This Weird Yet True has stayed with me for years. On days when it's really buggy, I always stay far away from bananas. Mosquito bites bug the hell out of me. Also, I have successfully used "floccipaucinihilipilification" in a sentence - on several occasions. It's the new "antidisestablishmentarianism".

Spoiler:

This series of Lego ads appeared in several 1993 issues, and I always glanced right over it. Legos are cool, but I don't want to read comics about them - I just wanna play with 'em. (I still do, actually. I remember I had this one Lego set that was like a flying pirate ship; it was the coolest thing ever, man!)

Spoiler:

It's a very important job being Michael Jackson's fashion designer. When you have to appear in court so much, you wanna look your best.

Spoiler:

I remember Double Dragon, and I remember Battletoads, but Plok completely escapes me. Anybody?

Spoiler:

Another puzzle with an illustration that makes me laugh. Also, is it just me, or is Ms. Wyks stoned off her gourd?

Spoiler:

We've seen this before, but at least this one's not drawn on. There's that long-forgotten light brown M&M, nestled away in Michigan and just waiting for blue to come along and bump it out of the candy rainbow.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. B. Warner View Post
    Spoiler:
    San Diego: "Carmen? Who's Carmen? I don't know any Carmen! Dios mio, ever since that typo in that issue of Disney Adventures, that's all anyone ever asks me!"

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: The Thief and the Cobbler
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    To this day I've never read "Return to Blaggard Castle" because I was being punished at the time and wasn't allowed to buy either issue of DA. Quit saying how great it is!

When Lawrence said "Julia Roberts = mouth," he was referring to her oversized mouth. That's her celebrity deformity.

DA is great and all, but Cricket is the greatest magazine ever printed. Whoever had to choose between the two and picked DA is an idiot.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: At long last, site updates are resuming! And We Bought A Retrode!

mobo85 is offline This space for rent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    IT'S A CRACK BABY, FOO!

Disney not wanting to take Mickey back into his older adventurous direction? I think "Epic Mickey" would disagree with that.

I remember Plok, for what it was. His schtick was that his limbs were removable. Yeah, maybe that's why no one remembers him.

Is Carmen, San Diego anywhere near Hannah, Montana? (Checks M&M advertisement) Oh, no, it isn't. I temporarily forgot my American geography to make a stupid joke about names and places. Incredibly dumb, as San Diego isn't even a state.
    "If you take away our cartoons, we'll grow up without a sense of humor and be robots."
    "Really? What kind of robots?"
    -Lisa and Bart Simpson, Itchy and Scratchy and Marge

Planty is offline Hix Nix Pix, Flick Needs Fix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a bump, because numero uno, I have a question, and numero two... I don't wanna see this thread disappear in the oblivion of the unknown abyss..... Anyways, I remember seeing, somewhere, an issue with Yakko, Wakko, and Dot, (from Animaniacs) on the cover.... Does anybody have this issue, and does it even exist? Thanks

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planty View Post
    This is a bump, because numero uno, I have a question, and numero two... I don't wanna see this thread disappear in the oblivion of the unknown abyss..... Anyways, I remember seeing, somewhere, an issue with Yakko, Wakko, and Dot, (from Animaniacs) on the cover.... Does anybody have this issue, and does it even exist? Thanks
    There was no issue with the Warners on the cover, as they are WB characters and nearly all cartoon characters on DA covers were Disney properties. The closest they ever came was the Kids WB ad on the backs of some September issues.

The thread isn't dead; JB has just been busy.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: At long last, site updates are resuming! And We Bought A Retrode!