Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chris is offline Corn is good and good for you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does Wal-Mart really censor CDs?

Like This Thread!
    I bought 'Love To Love You Baby' by Donna Summer at Wal-Mart for $5.88, and all the moaning sounds were in-tact. I just wanted to see if they would censor them. Apparently not. But I did get a tape years ago at Wal-Mart and they did censor a word or two out of an ESPN song compilation song. So I'm confused. And by the way, look up "Love To Love You Baby" on Wikipedia if you have no idea what I'm talking about.
    My comic! Now updated daily!

See Thelma and Franklin This and more in the KWVT Video Zone! Ringing in 2014!

Tay the Cat is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, all the censoring is decided by the record labels. There's no requirement, regardless of what people think.
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/CassieHikari (I'm far more active there these days)

EinBebop is offline Kneel Before Zod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "We do not argue with anyone's right to sing what they want," says a spokesperson for Wal-Mart. "But we reserve the right to sell what we want."

They censored my Creed CD.

Creed!

I don't have a problem with Wal-Mart being selective on what they sell (though I do find it hypocritical that they sell uncensored movies). But since you don't know it's been altered until you get it home, I won't take the risk of buying CD's there anymore.
    "He lived hard and died stupid."

Dynamite XI is offline Whoa, where have I been?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I purchased my copy of The Darkness' debut album, Permission to Land, at Wal-Mart back in late 2003. At the time I was still under 18, so I couldn't get the regular version anywhere else and had to settle for the edited version. The Darkness didn't even bleep the words in the edited version; they just put in a different vocal track with creative substitutes (such as "that dog don't give a duck").

In some cases Wal-Mart only censors the album artwork and not the album itself. Willie Nelson's album Countryman originally had a marijuana leaf on the cover that was switched to a palm tree for the Wal-Mart stock, and the cover for Wolfmother's debut album was edited to contain nothing but the band's name on a black background.
    Troper!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite XI View Post
    I purchased my copy of The Darkness' debut album, Permission to Land, at Wal-Mart back in late 2003. At the time I was still under 18, so I couldn't get the regular version anywhere else and had to settle for the edited version. The Darkness didn't even bleep the words in the edited version; they just put in a different vocal track with creative substitutes (such as "that dog don't give a duck").

In some cases Wal-Mart only censors the album artwork and not the album itself. Willie Nelson's album Countryman originally had a marijuana leaf on the cover that was switched to a palm tree for the Wal-Mart stock, and the cover for Wolfmother's debut album was edited to contain nothing but the band's name on a black background.
    As I said, these decisions ARE NOT made by Walmart.
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/CassieHikari (I'm far more active there these days)

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How do the edited lyric sheets work on the edited cds? Are they the same as always, do they scratch out the swears, or do they simply not include a lyric sheet?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorak Masaki View Post
    How do the edited lyric sheets work on the edited cds? Are they the same as always, do they scratch out the swears, or do they simply not include a lyric sheet?
    In the experience I've had buying edited CDs (I absolutely hated doing it), there were no lyrics included at all.

SirLemming is offline a playa in a world of NPCs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wal-Mart doesn't have the power and/or resources to censor the CDs themselves. Not within any sort of practical, profitable margin. The record labels do it. Some artists, like Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against The Machine, seem to have successfully negotiated to not make edited versions of their albums available, therefore you can't find those albums at Wal-Mart, except for the ones that don't have a Parental Advisory to begin with. (See: RATM's The Battle of Los Angeles, despite the pretty strong profanity in "Guerrilla Radio"; and NIN's Broken, which has at least 3 usages of the F-word.)

The Parental Advisory standard varies greatly. Buying a CD from Wal-Mart doesn't necessarily guarantee that it has no strong profanity on it. They don't check every album. It's all a matter of the record company putting the PA label on there. Naturally, they won't just blatantly ignore it, because people would probably get mad at them. But there doesn't seem to be any rule as strict as that for the MPAA with movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorak Masaki View Post
    System Of A Down's latest albums have the words *****ed out on the lyrics sheets. On that note, the edited version of their debut album has a message inside of it explaining why they allowed an edited version to be made (they did it so that kids could buy the album on their own).
    Last edited by SirLemming; 04-18-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    THE CASTLE OF SIR LEMMING
    THIS MONTH'S UPDATE: Christmas Countdown! 25 Christmas songs of interest.

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    SirLemming is right,,i got a cd by the band Lordi yesterday and song #2 is called "bringing the b***s back to rock", only theres no censor on the cd cover or the song. And you can get the offspring's smash and americana cds (both with strong profanity) as well as metallica's master of puppets and justice for all cds (though the profanity in those albums are just for one song), all uncut. I wish they would offer both censored and uncensored versions though, to me that would be much more convienient.

Dynamite XI is offline Whoa, where have I been?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the case of the Darkness' modified lyrics, the new lyrics are the ones on the lyric sheet.

SirLemming and Zorak are right; Wal-Mart doesn't go on rampant censorship witch hunts. I purchased my Steve Miller CD at Wal-Mart, and the line "funky $#@! in the city" was left intact in "Jet Airliner."

It's likely the same case with "Money" on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon," and "The End" on The Doors' first album. The usages are so insignificant now that they won't cause moral panics.
    Troper!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast