toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Evolution of KPTV and KPDX

Like This Thread!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPTV

Here is a general evolutionary timeline of KPTV and KPDX:
    9/20/52: KPTV 12 is established in Portland, OR as KPTV 27. Affiliates include CBS, ABC, NBC, DuMont and Mutual
    10/15/53: The CBS feed is moved to newly-established KOIN 6.
    3/8/55: The ABC feed is moved to another new establishment, KLOR 12.
    12/15/56: KLOR 12 relinquishes the ABC feed to KGW 8, thus turning KLOR into an independent ("indie" for short) TV station.
    4/30/57: KLOR airs its last broadcast; will merge the next day with KPTV to become the KPTV 12 we know and love.
    4/26/59: KPTV swaps affiliations with KGW; with the ABC feed back at KPTV for the first time since 1955, and NBC to KGW. KGW's sister station, Seattle, WA's KING 5, also switched channel feeds from ABC to NBC during this time.
    3/15/62: KATU 2 is established as an indie station; it will share the ABC feed with KPTV for two years.
    3/1/64: KPTV relinquishes all ABC programming to KATU, beginning KPTV's 22-year quest as an indie station.
    10/9/83: KPDX 49 is established as an indie station. Originally, its call letters were to be KLRK.
    10/9/86: KPTV signs on as an affiliate of the new FOX cable network
    8/29/88: KPTV relinquishes the FOX affiliation to KPDX (the result of a poor fall 1987 Saturday night ratings season when FOX was under KPTV); KPTV goes indie again for the first time in only 2 years.
    1/16/95: KPTV signs on as an affiliate of the new UPN network.
    9/2/2002: KPTV aligns itself with FOX for the first time since 1988; with the UPN feed going to what is now (as of 2006) PDX 49 (UPN itself would also cease to exist in 2005-06 in favor of the CW Network, which itself is allocated in Portland under KRCW (formerly KWBP) 32; as a result PDX in 2006 aligned itself with MyNetwork TV as an affiliate). Both stations at this point are owned by Meredith Corp., the result of an interesting "duopoly" move.

While I know there is lots of classic information specific to KPTV and its short-lived KLOR counterpart (see this website for details: http://kptv.home.comcast.net/~kptv/), I wish there would be much more information specific to its 1983-founded counterpart, KPDX 49. Like, what were all the general scheduling lineups (not including short-term alterations) from the fall of 1983, '84, '85, etc.?

For example: I remember KPDX used to broadcast the 1975 Tom & Jerry cartoons (this Hanna-Barbera effort, originally a part of the ABC (KATU)-broadcasted The (New) Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show, had to meet the PTC guidelines; as a result, the titular duo were seen as buddies, rather than as enemies which both their classic 1940-67 MGM period and their 1980-81 Filmation-produced period -- y'know, The Tom & Jerry Comedy Show -- had witnessed). Besides these, old reruns of Scooby-Doo (also from Hanna-Barbera) were also a part of the early KPDX cartoon lineup at 7 in the morning and, initially, also at 3 in the afternoon. In 1985, new episodes of The Jetsons (originally on ABC in the 1962-63 season), another well-known H-B product, were seen.

KPDX was also the original home (in P-town, that is) to the two Filmation-produced, Mattel-licensed franchises: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983-85) and his female counterpart (and obviously, his own sister), She-Ra: Princess of Power (1985-87).

In 1989, KPDX aired the DiC-produced, Nintendo-licensed Super Mario Bros. Super Show (which had Legend of Zelda episodes every Friday; SMBSS was also well-known for guest appearances, during the live-action segments, by such A-list stars as Nicole Eggert, Cyndi Lauper and "Magic" Johnson).

~Ben
    Last edited by ClassicTVMan1981; 04-08-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nice work. I'm not sure the SMSS aired on KPTV, though. I could be wrong but I think that was on KPDX. I know the Chipmunks came on KPDX and after school, me and my cousin would watch whatever they had on afterward.

KPTV had the Disney shows, and eventually the Disney Afternoon.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: Rampaging through Portland soon, and on the Internet now....it's the Super Summer Issue of BANG, crammed with quality entertainment including a brand-new Mulberry story! Watch out for that tree!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Nice work. I'm not sure the SMSS aired on KPTV, though. I could be wrong but I think that was on KPDX. I know the Chipmunks came on KPDX and after school, me and my cousin would watch whatever they had on afterward.

KPTV had the Disney shows, and eventually the Disney Afternoon.
    Yes, Peter... KPDX did have SMBSS and KPTV the Disney Afternoon block.

Of course, Alvin & the Chipmunks originally aired Saturday mornings on NBC (KGW 8) from 1983-90.

~Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure, but I think KPDX was also the original place in Portland to catch both Inspector Gadget and Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats, both DiC productions (along with the previously mentioned Super Mario Bros. Super Show). They aired every Saturday morning, rather than five days a week like SMBSS would.

~Ben

KE7JFF is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Per the old timers I know, they mentioned when KPDX first signed on, it showed like 95% all movies and actually...decent movies that people have heard of. This apparently was enough programming to actually make a dent in KPTV's ratings!

I also know from the start to about 1998 or so, the whole operation of KPDX was a skeleton crew! They could do some in-house production stuff, but they used KOIN for most studio work until they got a real studio out in Beaverton, which is now KPTV's studio.

Chris is online now Corn is good and good for you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any plans to update the videos section? I think it's been over a year now. I'd like to see more ads from 1981 or older if possible.
    My comic! Now updated daily!

See Thelma and Franklin This and more in the KWVT Video Zone! Ringing in 2014!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Any plans to update the videos section? I think it's been over a year now. I'd like to see more ads from 1981 or older if possible.
    Among them, how about these:
    *News of FOX switching affiliations from KPTV to KPDX (1988)
    *Married... with Children KPTV promos (1987)
    *Scooby-Doo on KPDX (1983-90)
    *The (New) Tom & Jerry Show on KPDX (1983-88)

Also... were there any game shows that aired on KPDX in its early years (1983 to 1988)?

~Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Baskin-Robbins in Portland, Oregon

Do any of my fellow Portlanders remember anything about the history of Baskin-Robbins "31 Flavors" Ice Cream Stores in this city and its outlying suburbs? They would have established their first couple of stores here in the years after 1959. All logo captures used are sourced from Logopedia.

The most eye-catching aspect of this company was its old-fashioned logo they'd used until 1990. It once looked like this:

It changed in the mid 1970s to look like this:

From 1990 until 2006, it then looked like this:

So, would anyone happen to have any grand opening or other related B-R 31 ads extracted from vintage newspapers (The Oregonian, The Oregon Journal, etc.) from the '60s, '70s and '80s?

The Oak Grove location at 13735 SE McLoughlin Blvd., Milwaukie is still going strong at 40 odd years. The Gladstone location at 19510 McLoughlin Blvd. was established about a decade or so later after the Oak Grove store, because I remember it having a newer variation of the original '50s logo (a pink circle with white 31, look at the 2nd logo here). A location in Oregon City exists within the Fred Meyer complex at 1839 Molalla Avenue (opened in August 1981), south of the Hilltop Mall.

I also want to ask whether or not there were any Baskin-Robbins stores within the food courts of any of Portland's major malls in the '70s/'80s/early '90s, such as Lloyd Center, Eastport Plaza, Mall 205, Washington Square and Clackamas Town Center??

~Ben

Chris is online now Corn is good and good for you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I heard Mike Donahue (longtime anchorman from KOIN 6) is retiring soon. Anyone know his last day, or has it passed already?
    My comic! Now updated daily!

See Thelma and Franklin This and more in the KWVT Video Zone! Ringing in 2014!

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I heard Mike Donahue (longtime anchorman from KOIN 6) is retiring soon. Anyone know his last day, or has it passed already?
    According to the new Portland Tribune, June 1, with a retrospective on May 31.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: Rampaging through Portland soon, and on the Internet now....it's the Super Summer Issue of BANG, crammed with quality entertainment including a brand-new Mulberry story! Watch out for that tree!