Quantcast
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwjakesteel View Post
    Honestly the introduction of the spirits as it appears in this season is akin to adding 3 more species of butterfly to the world and expecting the flapping of their wings to turn the rainbow black and white.

I'm sure the writers have completely forgotten about the "change" that the spirits living among humans would bring to the world, abandoned the idea like how they abandoned the Triads story arc in season 1, and just moved on to the greater more home hitting theme of political and cultural change throughout the world as a result of the Red Lotus.

Not that I mind. I honestly couldn't care less about the Spirits and if they did get any real attention I'd think it would really detract from the show. I'd prefer the spirits remain background but be significant in their background plot. The writers don't want to hand wave anything for us, it seems.
    I would have rather seen them actually focus on the aftermath of the finale and see how different the world is. Despite being considered such a huge game changer at the end of the second season, the world doesn't really seem significantly different with the portal being left opened aside from spirits being in the background and Airbenders being around as a result of Harmonic Convergence. Republic City, as far as we know, is the only place where spirits living there has caused problems for the people, even though it really shouldn't be the only one. While new Airbenders coming about is significant, it also feels like they're pushing the aftermath effects of the season finale to the side, which is disappointing since that was interesting. It isn't too much different from what happened to how they handled the Equalist aftermath in season two. Although at least the search for the Airbenders stems from one result of the last season so there's a bit of a transition there, which is more than I can say for the last season.

Again, this is probably the result of each season having a stand alone story, as well as having a smaller amount of episodes to work with per season, but it just seems like a waste to have something as huge as leaving the spirit portal open so that humans and spirits had to live with each other and then proceed to do little to nothing with that issue for most of the season. They could do something more with it in the remaining episodes of this season, but given what they already have to do with the main storyline, I kind of have my doubts about that. The more I think about it, the more I think this show would have been much better if it had an on-going arc like the original series, as opposed to seasons with stand alone stories.

Lerkero is offline Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like that Korra has had 13 episode arcs instead of the 20 episode arcs in ATLA, but I think that the writers change course as they receive fan feedback. Season 1 wasted a lot of time on pro-bending matches and taking the bending away from people. It was boring. Season 2 was an improvement, but it still lacked a lot of the impressive bending seen in ATLA. Season 3 addresses the lack of airbending and has been the most impressive in terms of bending form returning as the feature of the show. If the writers hadn't wasted so much time on conflicts which take the show away from what made ATLA impressive there would have been more time to focus on the spirits. Although I dislike Zaheer's motive so far I still enjoy seeing highly skilled benders fighting again.

I do wish the spirits were more of a focus or at least had more of a significant change to the world, but perhaps that plotline was saved for season 4.

I also agree that characters like Asami and Bolin have less to do as the plot progresses, but that is the case with many plots. Bolin is comedy relief to lighten the mood and Asami is the resource person. Without her help the group wouldn't have much money, transportation, or technology. It's better than relationship sub-plots.
    Last edited by Lerkero; 08-08-2014 at 08:11 AM.

ShadowBeast is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I would have rather seen them actually focus on the aftermath of the finale and see how different the world is. Despite being considered such a huge game changer at the end of the second season, the world doesn't really seem significantly different with the portal being left opened aside from spirits being in the background and Airbenders being around as a result of Harmonic Convergence. Republic City, as far as we know, is the only place where spirits living there has caused problems for the people, even though it really shouldn't be the only one. While new Airbenders coming about is significant, it also feels like they're pushing the aftermath effects of the season finale to the side, which is disappointing since that was interesting. It isn't too much different from what happened to how they handled the Equalist aftermath in season two. Although at least the search for the Airbenders stems from one result of the last season so there's a bit of a transition there, which is more than I can say for the last season.

Again, this is probably the result of each season having a stand alone story, as well as having a smaller amount of episodes to work with per season, but it just seems like a waste to have something as huge as leaving the spirit portal open so that humans and spirits had to live with each other and then proceed to do little to nothing with that issue for most of the season. They could do something more with it in the remaining episodes of this season, but given what they already have to do with the main storyline, I kind of have my doubts about that. The more I think about it, the more I think this show would have been much better if it had an on-going arc like the original series, as opposed to seasons with stand alone stories.
    Well Rome wasn't built in a day, so just because Korra left the portal open doesn't mean that the spirits will be rushing out like trapped animals and since the avatar lived in Republic city it'd makes sense that a lot of spirits would move in near someone they know they can trust.
    Just wait for the next season maybe we'll get more spirit change then.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBeast View Post
    Well Rome wasn't built in a day, so just because Korra left the portal open doesn't mean that the spirits will be rushing out like trapped animals and since the avatar lived in Republic city it'd makes sense that a lot of spirits would move in near someone they know they can trust.
    Just wait for the next season maybe we'll get more spirit change then.
    I'm not sure if all of there were a lot of spirits that believe that they can trust Korra, or at least I didn't get that impression from the last season and the start of this one. Plus, it kind of makes more sense to have more immediate changes to the world after such a huge turning point in the following season instead of waiting until the last season to do something with it. Not to mention I kind of doubt that they'll do something like that when each storyline has been pretty much stand alone with few elements of the previous storyline carrying over to the new season.

ToDandy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In terms of the episode, I thought this was great!

Good use of comedy, good to see Team Avatar doing there thing without being close to death...for the most part.

Also great use of a cliffhanger ending and the Spirit World. All in all, the momentum to this series really is picking up now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345