Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jinbo71 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolEric158 View Post
    Nick never intends to interest adults. They never have, and that includes Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Hub Network, and all the other kid networks. Kid networks don't pick up shows because they think it'll have an adult following, they pick up shows because they think it'll have a child following. After all, Animaniacs was canceled because there were too many adults watching rather than kids. Shows that get adult followings essentially get lucky.
    I'm not so sure about Cartoon Network and The Hub. CN has had an active role in YouTube's "geek week", their main shows really cater towards adults, and the many shout-outs their marketing gives to various older cartoons. The Hub is an even better example, considering they picked up Animaniacs for re-runs.

Disney might be better, but their content is also pretty friendly towards adults like Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder.

It seems like Nick really has something against adults who watch cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonzatch View Post
    I theorize that kids have less interest in action cartoons because of the increase in violent video games; why watch a half-hour of other people fighting bloodlessly when you can first-hand blow peoples' brains out for hours?

Another reason to ban that genre...
    I was thinking more along the lines of big-budget blockbuster movies like what Marvel puts out.
    Slowly going away.

Goldstar Neo is offline Straight cash, homey!
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinbo71 View Post
    I'm not so sure about Cartoon Network and The Hub. CN has had an active role in YouTube's "geek week", their main shows really cater towards adults, and the many shout-outs their marketing gives to various older cartoons. The Hub is an even better example, considering they picked up Animaniacs for re-runs.

Disney might be better, but their content is also pretty friendly towards adults like Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder.
    If The Hub were trying to target adult viewers by acquiring Animainacs, they would aired the reruns of A! at night alongside ALF and Happy Days. Just because adults aren't discouraged from watching the shows on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, The Hub and Nickelodeon doesn't mean that adults are the target audience for any of them. CN and Nick have programming blocks which are specifically tailored for adults (Adult Swim and Nick at Nite, respectively). Note how their Nickelodeon and CN's hits don't air on either block.

Why is the fact that Nickelodeon favors kid viewers a surprise? Nickelodeon has been a kids' channel since Day One. Nick has never targeted adults in any of it's programming, which is why Nick initially signed off at 8 PM. It's not that they have a grudge against adult viewers, they just don't care if adults are watching the channel or not. They never have. Adults are considered to be Nick at Nite's problem, not theirs. Saying that Nickelodeon ignores adult viewers is the equivalent to rap enthusiasts saying that CMT has a grudge against hip-hop or that the Oxygen and WE channels both ignore male viewers. It's a hollow complaint because these so-called neglected audiences were never being targeted in the first place.
    Last edited by Goldstar Neo; 07-27-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' twisted take on the world of cartoons and all things geeky.

aegisrawks is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinbo71 View Post

I was thinking more along the lines of big-budget blockbuster movies like what Marvel puts out.
    But that is exactly what Cool Eric said. Nick has never been for adults and they arent going to start now.

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel may have shows that can appeal to adults, but the main audience they cater to, and most concerned with, are children.
    And maybe you weren't around for the 90s, but Nick has put great emphasis on the fact that they are a kids network focusing towards kids programming and that will likely never change.

Toons These Days
    Now on ChannelAwesome.com
    New episodes return December 16!

Website | Deviantart | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon |

FriendlyMushroom is offline Knight of Sidonia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nickelodeon has never been big on action shows. Prior to Danny Phantom and Avatar: The Last Airbender, I don't know if they even had any action cartoons. The Avatar franchise cartoons are arguably the only cartoons they've had that that are serious drama action cartoons with a bit of comedy thrown in, as opposed to action comedy cartoons with a bit of drama thrown in. Avatar co-creator Bryan Konietzko remarked at Comic-con on how Avatar is "not typical Nickelodeon fare". So I think it's a combination of Avatar not really fitting in on whole, lack of knowledge on how to handle the franchise, and action cartoons not doing well all around right now. I'd apply Hanlon's Razor here -- never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

And it truly is incompetence to pull Korra off the air entirely. Yes, lots of people were watching it online, but that's the thing -- it was already online. Back in Book 2 new episodes would get posted to Nick.com late at night after they were aired, available to watch the very next day. That was working fine, Nick just screwed that up by keeping the episodes from being posted online until several weeks later with the first 7 episodes of book 3. It seems like Nick heard everyone complaining about that and decided ok, we'll put the episodes back online, but only online. No, no, no, no. What about people who don't have good internet data bandwidth or data caps? Who like to DVR and watch it easily? Punt it to an even worse time slot than 8 PM, fine, but keep it on the air, for Pete's sake.

mikkej2k is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to agree with you FriendlyMushroom , why not put TLoK in front of as many eyes as possible? Now , even though I pay for a cable package with NICK , I can't watch an episode of The Legend of Korra on my main TV without some inconvenience. It seems like this is a very BAD decision that will undermine the shows following.

No automatic DVR'ing. No "On Demand" .

I understand the show had some "leaks" online earlier in this season but the following decisions by NICK have been far MORE HARMFUL than any "leak"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12