Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Neo Yi is offline Time, the everlasting fool
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Having recently watched the latest Korra episode (specifically "Old Wounds"), I am agreeing more and more with Ed's assessment of Mako. He IS an utterly superfluous character. He spends much of Book 1 as a shallow love interest and much of Book 2 solving a mystery that never affected the central plot and certainly didn't advance his character any (even though it involved the awesome Varrick.) Book 3 so far has him doing painfully little (I completely forgot about him until he popped up in "Old Wounds".) You can cut off a lot of Mako's subplot and lose little grounds and anything he's involved in I bet Bolin could have carried alone in his own way; he's a far more intriguing character and his personal journey are much more plentiful and intriguing.

Thanks, Ed, I needed another reason to dislike Mako. ;P
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    Whimsically Tedious, I review Wakfu, season one.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I noticed that Mako didn't even get any lines in The Original Airbenders and had pretty little appearance in Old Wounds, which does help the argument that he's a superfluous character. His subplot in this season being pretty unnecessary, even with Varrick being so awesome, helps with that a lot as well. The only good thing about his appearance in season three is his moments with his family, although I could kind of laugh at him in a couple of other cases. If he was written out of the show, I don't think much of anything of value would be lost. While I'm not much of a fan of Bolin, I could see him carrying his weight on his own relatively well.

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Mako and Bolin always seemed like they were meant to be this series version of Zuko and Sokka. Except they're just weaker characters. Is Bolin even useful?
    I still feel the whole series would've been better if they never existed and it'd just be about Korra and Asami (and give her a chance to be fleshed out). In fact, ever since they were first introduced they were meant to just be there to attract a male demographic, because boys wouldn't watch an action show with a lead female character.

Toons These Days
    Now on ChannelAwesome.com
    New episodes return December 16!

Website | Deviantart | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon |

Neo Yi is offline Time, the everlasting fool
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I heavily disagree on Bolin. Unlike Mako, he has character, he has development and flaws to work out. Granted, he may not specifically contribute the greatest portion to the central plot, but Bolin at the least represents a different side of Republic City (at least doing Book 1 when everything was introduced) than Asami (who has her own thing) and has his own personal hang ups to deal with. Of course I admit partial bias because Bolin is one of my favorite characters and I actually prefer him to Sokka. My complaint about Mako is that he possess none of these defining traits; he's just there. Even if his subplot in Book 2 doesn't relate to the main plot, it wouldn't be an issue (well, maybe a bit given everyone was under stupid pills in that subplot) if it wasn't lead by a painfully underdeveloped, boring character. That's my problem with him. Imagine Lin carrying his role in Book 2; I think I'd be 200% more invested.

I also don't believe for a second he and Mako were created to specifically target boys to the show (and they made it clear the leading lady appealed heavily to both genders) and if there's any mishaps on how either were handled, it's just bad writing.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    Whimsically Tedious, I review Wakfu, season one.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Bolin is okay and he's usually fairly likable, which is more than I can say for Mako, but he never really seemed that much of an interesting character to me. He seems primarily there for comedy relief and basically comes off as Sokka lite. Sokka was also clearly there for comedy relief, but was a much stronger character by comparison in my opinion. To be fair though, I think that the main characters in the original series are stronger than the majority of characters in Korra.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12