mimitchi33 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's the deal with toddlers liking SpongeBob?

Like This Thread!
    Ever since the post-Atlantis Squarepantis episodes and the debut of shows like Adventure Time and channels like Disney XD, I've rarely ever heard any kid in SpongeBob's target demographic of 6-12 year olds talk about the show. When they do, it's usually something about how it's gotten worse within the past few years, but only a handful of kids I've met still like it (not counting the audience of teenagers who watched it as kids). But in those same few years, I've noticed another audience like this show-kids who are five years old and younger! Every time I see a kid in a car with a drop-down TV watch the show, they are always in that age group. In stores selling SpongeBob merchandise, I've seen toddlers always beg their parents to buy it. At the community pool once, a 3 and a half year old wanted to watch SpongeBob instead of going swimming and decided to poop in the pool, ruining everyone's day. This wasn't as common back in the early 2000's. Nickelodeon themselves has stated that the show was never intended for toddlers in the first place, and Common Sense media says that the show is "pause" for kids ages six and up. So why did this start happening?
    I only have three reasons:
    1. When this started happening in around 2007 or so, Dora ended the Nick Jr block and without warning, turned into SpongeBob.
    2. Misaimed marketing-toddler products with SpongeBob's likeness are made when the show's clearly not for them. I read a review on one product and it said "One problem I have with this product is that it's hard to find in the SpongeBob version. I only ever found an Elmo version, but my 2 and a half year old son thinks Elmo's a baby show".
    3. NickMom replacing 4 hours of Nick Jr's channel. The only show that was on when that block started was SpongeBob.
    So, in your opinion, what do you think is causing toddlers to watch SpongeBob?
    Yes, I am lucky. Every one of my friends is that special someone.
    -Mumfie, Magic Adventures of Mumfie

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think toddlers would watch just about anything that is brightly colored and zany. There had to have been preschoolers that watched the show in 2000.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

CoolEric158 is offline Remember who you are...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Spongebob, and most of the Nicktoons for that matter skew younger, and Spongebob is considered a brand that is considered safe and harmless for kids like Rugrats was in the 90s.
    I'm that guy who looked at you funny yesterday! In case you were curious.
    My Twitter
    My Tumblr
    My Youtube Channel

Dr. Daedalus is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolEric158 View Post
    Spongebob, and most of the Nicktoons for that matter skew younger, and Spongebob is considered a brand that is considered safe and harmless for kids like Rugrats was in the 90s.
    Which is ironic when you consider that SpongeBob has quite a few nightmare fuel faces and bits of Getting Crap Past the Radar.

mimitchi33 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I think toddlers would watch just about anything that is brightly colored and zany. There had to have been preschoolers that watched the show in 2000.
    I was one of them, and I wasn't interested in the show, I was just waiting for Rugrats to come on, which is far more appropiate for toddlers, despite the adult humor like Loney Space Vixens.

And about the innapropiate themes, I've heard of one episode, "One Coarse Meal", had a SUICIDE joke in it, yet people complain about Derpy Hooves instead.
    Yes, I am lucky. Every one of my friends is that special someone.
    -Mumfie, Magic Adventures of Mumfie

Toon4Thought is online now Giving a slightly closer look.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mimitchi33 View Post
    I've heard of one episode, "One Coarse Meal", had a SUICIDE joke in it, yet people complain about Derpy Hooves instead.
    Actually, there was two, the other being "Are You Happy Now". In it, Squidward discovers he doesn't have a happy memory and goes into a deep depression. Even though we're clearly supposed to sympathize with him throughout the episode, there are two moments where they set it up to look like he's about to commit suicide, only to have it be a fake-out. It's not as low as "One Coarse Meal", but still pretty dang low.

Also, I wasn't allowed to watch Rugrats as a kid.

Jinbo71 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So, you're saying that even kids 6-12 hate SpongeBob?

Yeowch,

CoolEric158 is offline Remember who you are...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toon4Thought View Post
    Actually, there was two, the other being "Are You Happy Now". In it, Squidward discovers he doesn't have a happy memory and goes into a deep depression. Even though we're clearly supposed to sympathize with him throughout the episode, there are two moments where they set it up to look like he's about to commit suicide, only to have it be a fake-out. It's not as low as "One Coarse Meal", but still pretty dang low.
    Actually, the fake-outs in "Are You Happy Now" did make me laugh. It was kind of clever, if a little twisted, but I love me some dark comedy.
    I'm that guy who looked at you funny yesterday! In case you were curious.
    My Twitter
    My Tumblr
    My Youtube Channel

PapaGreg is offline Getting off from violence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolEric158 View Post
    Actually, the fake-outs in "Are You Happy Now" did make me laugh. It was kind of clever, if a little twisted, but I love me some dark comedy.
    And in those jokes they weren't mean spirited because we thought it would happen versus Plankton actually commiting suicide
    Endless Summer

ABrown is offline Father of twins
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    When you say "toddler", I think you mean "preschooler". I assume you're talking about kids who are maybe 2-5 years old. I've got twin toddlers, they're just over a year old.

As far as the question at hand goes, I don't think that there's any reason that the younger kids can't be watching Spongebob. They might not understand some of the humor that the older kids would. But I don't think that Spongebob really has anything bad in the show that makes it inappropriate for younger kids. I say let the younger kids enjoy the show if they like it.