Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    rockorockorocko is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Lawson View Post
    This week's Cynopsis Kids showed that Nick had 9 of the the top 10 Kids 2-11 shows. The list was dominated by Spongebob airings, with SJC in the #2 spot. As rockorockorocko mentioned, the other 2 animated shows Nickelodeon mentioned in their press release, BW and TMNT, ranked lower as they don't appear in the top 10.

In Kids 6-11, Disney had 8 of the Top 10. Spongebob was predictable to be one of the Nick shows in the Top 10 (#4), but it was Paul Blart: Mall Cop as the surprise of the week at #8. That bodes well for future airings of the movie on Nick.
    What I find interesting is how slight the gap is getting in K6-11. So although Disney was still 13% more, there were moments last year where it was 30-40% - pretty crazy if you think about how much Nick has caught up. I may be the only one here who generally finds this important, but the week the KCAs, Disney has no premieres and Nick will have a KCA lineup of SaC/SBSP/KCA/IM. Considering how low Disney ratings have been getting (this week's 1.3M is almost CN-like numbers), it would be great if Nick could knock Disney off, even for just one week.

Regarding Mall Cop, I think it's fantastic that Nick has been investing in movies. It's something Disney and CN has had great success in, and it's about time Nick puts more effort in developing. It helps diversify the lineup and gives opportunities to reach out to new viewers. Cheaper by the Dozen 2 is the next movie premiere and I think that's another great pick (especially with the live action returning the next week). Just hope Nick gets some animated ones soon. Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, Smurfs, Monsters vs Aliens, Cat in the Hat all come to mind.

OTOH, seems like Disney has focused a bit too much on their movies for ratings. Some of their recent movie showing have been very average. Probably exhausted some movies by airing them too much for ratings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockorockorocko View Post
    What I find interesting is how slight the gap is getting in K6-11. So although Disney was still 13% more, there were moments last year where it was 30-40% - pretty crazy if you think about how much Nick has caught up. I may be the only one here who generally finds this important, but the week the KCAs, Disney has no premieres and Nick will have a KCA lineup of SaC/SBSP/KCA/IM. Considering how low Disney ratings have been getting (this week's 1.3M is almost CN-like numbers), it would be great if Nick could knock Disney off, even for just one week.
    I was thinking about this too. I don't want to get my hopes up, but if Disney's ratings stay down or fall further and the KCA buzz boosts Nick's overall ratings enough ... who knows. Even if Nick can just reduce the margin to single digits it would still be a great milestone, since Disney always brings up the double digits thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope so, The programming vacuum isn't going to help DC in any way. They can't rely on 2 or 3 shows to run the channel. They key for Nick here to maintain the K6-11 demo is to have a decent amount of live-action programming that works well for them. They got 3 good live-action shows right now. All of which are running a short hiatus for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wi-fi Calcium View Post
    I hope so, The programming vacuum isn't going to help DC in any way. They can't rely on 2 or 3 shows to run the channel. They key for Nick here to maintain the K6-11 demo is to have a decent amount of live-action programming that works well for them. They got 3 good live-action shows right now. All of which are running a short hiatus for now.
    Exactly. It's gonna be Jessie, AaA, DwaB, LaM, IDDI and FH. I guess you can throw in WLD as well. But it's one of the weakest overall Disney lineups in years. But they'll always be at an advantage in the K6-11 since they basically air live action (like how Nick has the edge in K2-11 since it basically airs animation). But if Disney's overall ratings drop far enough and Nick's gets enough boost with it's live action returning and the KCA week (as Hail the Whale mentioned), Nick may be nab a week or two this month - historic moments should it happen.

SaC/THH/TTM is a solid trio of live action. I just wish Nick aired them more - maybe moving into the 8 p.m. hour, giving SaC a full hour at 7 p.m. and TTM/THH single episodes at 8 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. In reality, Nick is one or two live action hits away from challenging week-to-week in the K6-11 demo. SaC/THH/TTM aren't really too far from Disney off and even the animation at times makes up some ground.

J21697 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Exactly. Animation is only helping Nick secure the K2-11 demo, but the only way they are going to get a hold of that K6-11 demo is with their live action programs, no other way to put it.

---

I also find it odd how Nick wanted Breadwinners to be a hit with K6-11 year olds. I don't know what 'research' they've been using, but it's been obvious for a long time that live action dominates that demo. Look at how Sanjay & Craig couldn't even touch 1M in that demo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Animation can do well in 6-11, even Disney has shown this. Phineas and Ferb used to dominate over many of their live-action series and so did Gravity Falls. I think part of the problem with most animation is the maturity factor.

I guess Nick sees it becoming popular in that demo because it is fast paced, internet like and has original music. Seeing it being on of the least mature cartoons on regular Nick it's not the kind of show older kids would want to tell their friends about.

Here's the ratings.

Son of the Bronx: Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., NickToons, TeenNick and Nick at Nite ratings (February 24-March 2, 2014)

Thursday 2/27/14
    7:00PM Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2.893 Million

Saturday 3/1/14
    9:30 AM Spongebob (rerun) 3.156 Million
    10:00 AM Spongebob (rerun) 3.414 Million
    10:30 AM Sanjay and Craig 2.975 Million
    11:00 AM Breadwinners 2.375 Million
    11:30 AM Spongebob (rerun) 2.237 Million
    12:00 PM Power Rangers Super Megaforce 1.811 Million

Sunday 3/2/14
    10:00 AM Spongebob (rerun) 2.748 Million
    10:30 AM Spongebob (rerun) 2.730 Million
    11:00 AM TMNT 2.652 Million
    11:30 AM Kung Fu Panda 2.121 Million
    Last edited by Wi-fi Calcium; 03-09-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: fixed times

J21697 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Animation can do well in 6-11, even Disney has shown this. Phineas and Ferb used to dominate over many of their live-action series and so did Gravity Falls. I think part of the problem with most animation is the maturity factor.
    It probably does have to do with maturity factor, but TMNT is a very mature cartoon compared to the other cartoons Nick has, yet pulls in not so great 6-11 numbers. Most of its audience consists of adults, and the show (surprisingly) skews to the younger side of the demos, no matter how hard Nickelodeon tries to make the show appeal to the older set of kids with some of the 'dark' promos/trailers.

Judging by the weekly demo charts, animation (excluding Spongebob) is getting over taken by live action in this demo. I think it'll be interesting to see another animated program score some good numbers in the 6-11 demo, and that hasn't happened (again, excluding Spongebob) since last summer.
    Last edited by J21697; 03-09-2014 at 03:59 PM.

CoolEric158 is online now Sibling Rivalry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can see why animation isn't as strong in 6-11. There are a lot of kids that think they're too old for cartoons, and prefer the live-action for the big kids. I know this from experience with two younger sisters.

Anyway, for the Breadwinners episode, is that considered good ratings? SJC and TMNT did much better.
    Thinking of something to write down.

J21697 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolEric158 View Post
    Anyway, for the Breadwinners episode, is that considered good ratings? SJC and TMNT did much better.
    It would be "good" for a show that doesn't get promoted much like Rabbids Invasion, but considering the amount of promotion that went into this show, it really isn't good, but its decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One important factor is the overall viewership. When it's high, a cartoon will likely do well in the K6-11 demo due to the large audience. Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls were hitting 3.5-4.0M plus behind Jessie (when it was doing well) and would regular make the K6-11. But when TMNT was regularly over 3.0M, it would too. Fish Hooks made that list this week, but it aired behind DwaB, which was No. 1 in the demo. Right now, SJC/TMNT/RI/BW have posted great numbers, just not enough of an audience to crack that K6-11 regularly. Still, Nick's cartoons have basically locked up the K2-11 for the network. It hasn't even been close this year. And besides, we all know SBSP is the No. 1 kids show period. Once SBSP premieres Saturday mornings again, everything will be elevated (although it may be awhile).

I do agree that live action is key in that K6-11 demo. But Nick has caught up in that demo MAJOR, closing a 30-40% gap to 12-13% at times this year. It's coupled with Nick's premiere and overall ratings doing well, and Disney's premiere and overall ratings dropping. The one thing that keeps Disney is ahead is they air live action 85 percent of their Disney-dedicated hours. SaC is the No. 1 rated kids show so far this year, but even TTM/THH have made the demo lists as well. I don't think either are strong enough to propel Nick forward (the superpowers/ghost storylines are kinna too kiddish IMO), but they are right there with Disney IMO.

But Nick obviously knows they need to cultivate their live action and I think this year and next will address that (much like 2012-2013 addressed the cartoon lineup). Look at all the upcoming shows - five live action pilots ordered last year, Schneider's new show, Mowry's show, that crime procedural show. And what I think works is all the pilots seem very family oriented with less quirks like aliens, super powers and ghosts. I'm particularly confident in Twang, Nicky/Ricky/Dicky/Don, and whatever Schneider and Mowry have. Plus, we know that SaC/THH/TTM will all be back for at least one more season each. And looks like EWW was revived for a second. Yeah, I know EWW had corny effects for with powers, but at least there was drama/romance. It did better than SaC at times in the K6-11 demo.

The Upfront should really tell us where Nick is going in the live action department. I'm pretty excited. There will probably be a couple new cartoon pilots, but we all know live action is priority - especially with how strong Nick's cartoons are. But given where Disney is - Girl Meets World is the only upcoming show Disney even has in production - I wouldn't be surprised if Nick can reclaim the K6-11 here and there or maybe regularly if Disney continues to drop. In all honesty, Nick is two live action hits away from completely taking off in the K6-11 and I would think it a pool of 10 pilots, at least one or two will be hits - especially with the talent behind some of them.

Kinna getting ahead, but I think Nick could win the K6-11 demo the week of the KCAs. Disney has no premieres, their weekly ratings are down, and Nick has a killer lineup of SaC/SBSP/KCAs/IM.

----

As for BW, 2.4M on it's third episode isn't good, but not bad either. We won't really know how weak or strong the show is until 5-6 episodes in. I will say this though, RI was basically 2.0-2.2M for most premieres, but it obviously resonated well enough for Nick to renew it AND give it a weekday slot - which has been going on now for over three months. If BW can post consistent numbers like RI, I'm sure it'll be renewed and likely get a weekday spot when it has a high enough episode count.

Rex Kamex is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I know EWW had corny effects for with powers, but at least there was drama/romance. It did better than SaC at times in the K6-11 demo.
    I do wonder how significant the drama/romance matter, but I can imagine they did help the show. Not to say kids would watch any show with drama/romance, but Every Witch Way's the only non-sitcom live action Nick show (that hasn't been confirmed cancelled yet) when it comes to that show, Sam & Cat, The Haunted Hathaways, and The Thundermans. The picture/film/whatever quality for Every Witch Way in particular looks much different, IMO, from those of the other three shows, making Every Witch Way stand out more. I'm not saying the ratings for Every Witch Way got to be as high as they were due to simply those things, but I do think those things should be considered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The one thing that keeps Disney is ahead is they air live action 85 percent of their Disney-dedicated hours.
    This. Disney Channel airs the same live action trash every day, pushing the cartoons aside. Wander Over Yonder hasn't been repeated since late January, Gravity Falls airs on the network once or twice a month and Phineas & Ferb and Fish Hooks are shoved to the 5 a.m. graveyard hour. Nick, on the other hand, has been and is focusing on both live action and animation. TDC is basically a live-action tweeny-bop network.

It should also be noted that TDC has been overplaying their shows (mostly live-action) for several years. It's 15 airings of Jessie one day, 15 airings of Liv & Maddie another and 15 airings of Austin & Ally the next. This may most likely be a reason why TDC is entering a ratings slip. Whatever happen to diversity? At least Nick is going through that path again (sure, there's still a lot of SpongeBobs, but that has decreased a but lately).

As for BW, 2.4M on it's third episode isn't good, but not bad either. We won't really know how weak or strong the show is until 5-6 episodes in. I will say this though, RI was basically 2.0-2.2M for most premieres, but it obviously resonated well enough for Nick to renew it AND give it a weekday slot - which has been going on now for over three months. If BW can post consistent numbers like RI, I'm sure it'll be renewed and likely get a weekday spot when it has a high enough episode count.
    Yeah, Breadwinners did OK during its third episode. And for a decent buddy comedy that brings throwbacks to older Nicktoons with the likes of KaBlam!, it deserves a second season and a weekday strip (as long as ratings remain decent).

Still waiting for TMNT getting a weekday spot...

Go visit my new blog, Cartoon Central for reviews, games, fun and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Friday Cable Ratings: ‘Gold Rush’ Wins Night + ‘WWE Friday Night Smackdown’, NBA Basketball, ‘Game of Stones’ & More - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Jessie hit a series low on Friday with 2.008.
    Paw Patrol still doing very well with 5 airings on the list, one of which actually beat Jessie in total viewers (2.166).

J21697 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well it seems like Disney is entering (or has entered) a ratings slump. I feel bad for them. Mind you, Jessie was the show that scored nearly 5 million on its season finale last fall, and nearly 6 million on its crossover with GLC. I don't know what's happened with Disney, but ever since Cloud 9 has aired, everything has just been down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's most likely because all of Disney Channel's current kidcoms are repetitive and are carbon copies of each other (same laugh track, same school setting, same corny jokes, same overused plots, etc.). DC needs to find a show that is way different from the likes of Liv & Maddie and Austin & Ally. How about a sitcom without the laugh tracks or the high school setting for once? Even a dramedy a la Phil of the Future won't hurt.

And as I mentioned, DC is lacking its cartoons in its schedule and pushing them aside for overplays of the live action repeating 15-20 times a day, making kids watching the same reruns over and over again. Will it kill them to place one daily strip of Wander Over Yonder?

I barely watch DC outside of GF and WoY (and PF and GLC to a lesser extent), but the channel really needs some work.

Go visit my new blog, Cartoon Central for reviews, games, fun and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disney should really think about leaving fridays.

kanc is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've felt bad for disney, but this thread needs to talk about nickelodeon ratings, not disney ratings.

J21697 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kanc View Post
    I've felt bad for disney, but this thread needs to talk about nickelodeon ratings, not disney ratings.
    There's nothing wrong with discussing the competitor's ratings once in a while, as long as we don't get too off topic, which I think we are.

But back on topic, Paw Patrol is dominating the competition, and Breadwinners made the list, wonder how the encore of Paul Blart did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would say the same thing about Nickelodeon if they aired new episodes on Fridays all the time. I just don't think it's a good night for live action tween shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon Ruler View Post
    It's most likely because all of Disney Channel's current kidcoms are repetitive and are carbon copies of each other (same laugh track, same school setting, same corny jokes, same overused plots, etc.). DC needs to find a show that is way different from the likes of Liv & Maddie and Austin & Ally. How about a sitcom without the laugh tracks or the high school setting for once? Even a dramedy a la Phil of the Future won't hurt.

And as I mentioned, DC is lacking its cartoons in its schedule and pushing them aside for overplays of the live action repeating 15-20 times a day, making kids watching the same reruns over and over again. Will it kill them to place one daily strip of Wander Over Yonder?

I barely watch DC outside of GF and WoY (and PF and GLC to a lesser extent), but the channel really needs some work.
    The live action shows lack MUCH diversity. And Disney has made it clear that animation doesn't matter with WoY, GF and PaF becoming DXD shows and only "repeating" on Disney. It'll be interesting to see what the Sunday lineup got and how things unravel when Nick's live action returns starting this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by slicknickshady View Post
    I would say the same thing about Nickelodeon if they aired new episodes on Fridays all the time. I just don't think it's a good night for live action tween shows.
    It's not Friday nights - it's Disney's shows losing major viewership and the network hitting a ratings collapse. They've absolutely crushed Friday nights before with the same AF-Jessie-DwaB-FH lineup week after week. Same concept when Nick's Saturday night struggled with it's past and current programming. It wasn't the night - iCarly, BTR, and Victorious all put up fantastic numbers in their peaks, it was the content losing viewership (iCarly/BTR/Victorious), flopping (MM/WaV/SN) or needing time to grow (SaC/THH/TTM). Nick is posting solid numbers again.

----

Nick is in such a good place right now it's ridiculous and they have a HUGE pipeline of cartoons and live action coming up.

Disney basically has Girl Meets World, and if that can't do anything then the network is in trouble. Because it's clearly struggling.

Crazy how much a difference a year makes. My mind is boggled with how far Disney dropped and how much Nick has bounced back.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast