Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SpongeBob to debut tenth season next year

Like This Thread!

Looks like the mighty Sponge isn't done yet. I found this article that says that a tenth season is now in production and is currently expected to debut next year. So season nine probably has more episodes ready to air, it's just that Nick is taking awhile to air them. With 17 more episodes from season nine, and a tenth season ordered, SpongeBob isn't going anywhere for at least the next two or three years.

Go visit my new blog, Cartoon Central for reviews, games, fun and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was there any doubt that SBSP would be renewed. The show is the biggest property in kids and has been #1 in the K2-11 demo since 2000, by a wide margin. Nick doesn't have enough proven hits to rid away with SpongeBob. They have FOP (which is likely in its last season and is being reserved), TMNT, and SJC. We could also go back and forth on SaC but the show is too vunerable to be considered a "hit." Until Nick can find a show that performs over 3M every time and can be reliable in a variety of areas, SBSP will continue to be on air.

Pac-Attack is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Had a feeling it would be renewed, FOP will likely be renewed next.

rockorockorocko is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great find.

Season 10 in 2014 seems unlikely to me. But I think its safe to say season nine will likely be spread out until the movie premieres in 2015. Then season 10 will begin after the movie, which will greatly elevate the franchise.

But that's good to hear, Nick could premiere about 34 segments through out 2014 and really get some huge ratings all of next year if season 10 is just around the corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The most recent official source (flyer from this year's Licensing Expo) lists the premiere of season 10 under "2015 & beyond". So there are plans for it, but I'm not sure if they've ordered it officially yet. They definitely haven't started working on it yet, because they have to finish the movie and then season 9 first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree that we won't see it next year. While the article does say season 10 is in production, a 26 half-hour episode season will likely take more than a year to produce and then there is the second sequel which will stretch out Season 10 as well.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Only 10 seasons? The show has been on the air longer than that!

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indeed.

Spongebob Squarepants is now Nickelodeon's longest running original series (previously, it was Rugrats, which ran for a total of 13 years, although it did end production at one point, but was then brought back).

On the other hand, it's not NICK's longest aired series. The live action series Mr. Wizard's World premiered in 1983, and ended production in 1990, but reruns continued to air until 2000 (making it the last pre-1990s series, as well as the last pre-Nicktoons series to still air on NICK during that time). So, in total, it was broadcast for 17 years, which Spongebob has yet to beat...
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since the current season is on a slow hiatus off and on for the movie, it's possible we'll have enough episodes to last us. When 2014 gets here and we're out of episodes, sure season 10 would be nice. It would keep us occupied until the movie. I'm not going to say any longer that I'd prefer the show to end after the movie. I have no idea how the movie will turn out, all we can do is hope it will do amazing based off the behind the scenes recording we've seen so far.
    ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    Spongebob Squarepants is now Nickelodeon's longest running original series (previously, it was Rugrats, which ran for a total of 13 years, although it did end production at one point, but was then brought back)..
    The ironic thing is that SpongeBob also ended for a while (It wasn't on hiatus, as seen in an article. The show had ended for good and the plan was for the movie to be the series finale. It was revived at the last minute) but then brought back due to rerun ratings and the success of the merchandise.

Anyway, I honestly can't see the sponge lasting for longer. The SpongeBob craze (Except the first 3 seasons) has long died out and I don't know anyone who's talked about the show since 2012 or so. SpongeBob is still on because unlike Rugrats before it, there isn't a Nicktoon with the strength to be able to take over the sponge as flagship Nicktoon. Rugrats has seen an underground popularity in recent years thanks to nostalgia and the 96-97 episodes have been reevaluated (as opposed to when they were on. They were hated back then as the more recent SpongeBob episodes today), but it's no longer the huge Nicktoon juggernaut it once was.

I imagine if Sky Rat goes well, it could be able to replace the sponge. SpongeBob in my opinion has had it's time and it's about time another Nicktoon comes along to pass the torch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    SBSP has a lot of episodes, which is probably part of the reason they air the show so much. They can't effectively burn the episodes,as long as every episode seems "new" to kids. They may be able to get a new series to pass the torch to. I wouldn't expect it to dominate the ratings in the first few seasons because it would need to build an adequate episode library which Spongebob has now. It's definitely possible for a Nick show to surpass Spongebob. iCarly did just that in it's hayday. I think it's possible for a Nicktoon as well, it just has to last long enough.

rockorockorocko is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Until any of Nicks new shows can hit 5.2 on a weeknight premiere and regularly top 3.0M on reruns, I doubt SBSP will go anywhere. It's what drives the network and keeps people watching. I don't see a problem with SBSP continuing as having as many slots as it does as long as it continues to benefit the network and the rest of the shows, and as long as kids continue to watch SBSP and purchase its merchandise. I don't see either ending any time soon, nor any show overtaking it. Although shows like FOP, SJC, TMNT and SaC are strong in their own right.

Besides, IMO, the quality of the show was greatly improved season 8 and 9. Much less crude and much more classic SBSP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly, Seasons 8 and 9 haven't changed the show that much in my opinion. I watched some episodes and it still feels like it did a few seasons back.

I don't know...like I said, I feel the show has had it's time and it's time for new blood to take over. The only thing is there isn't a show strong enough to take over. Fairly Odd Parents isn't too strong now because of it's severe loss in popularity.

However it's okay if people like the show. I have nothing against them if they do .

Then again there are new streams of Nicktoons coming out so....

Lacucarachas is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    IMO the quality has been greatly increased. I love the older series though but the essence of SB is never been better. Since I was a kid I watched this show on Toon Nick and I'm quite grateful they still have it on air. I hope the next seasons would be more hilarious so that I can share it with my kids.

trance2009 is online now Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not Normal is probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen in animation.