Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    ToDandy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Overall I liked the season...but that final episode kind of bummed me out due to the excessive amount of

DEUS EX MACHINA!!!!!!!!

So much of it. Sure the Avatar series has always had a bit of deus ex machina before but this is some new record. First off Rava disintegrates but conveniently reappears inside Vaatu near the end of the battle. Then Vaatu's prison just happens to have the magical power to turn Korra into a blue giant with equal powers to Vaatu DISPITE Korra no longer being in possession of the light spirit. Then when Korra is loosing...again. Jinora just happens to appear at the right time to unleash a weird mega spiritual attack. Where the hell did she learn that? How did she do that?

Also there was the awkward shift where Bolin is suddenly in love with Eska again just so he can honestly convince her to turn against her father....which she and her brother do at the most convenient moment.

I was really liking it all the way up to that last episode. Studio Mir definitely brought in some gorgeous animation and stunning fight scenes. It's unfortunate that so much of Korra's victory was the result of the writers making up stuff at the last second.
    Last edited by ToDandy; 11-16-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Lerkero is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The writers if Avatar are very bad at coming up with believable endings. Deus ex machina all over the place.

I thoroughly enjoyed the civil war aspect of Korra season 2, but the spirit stuff really brought it down. Also, the last two seasons have not matched the original series in terms of the stylish display of bending. For the most part bending is just a means of throwing projectiles. Unalock vs Tarlok was a good battle, but I can't think of anything else.

Korra as a character has shown no earned progress. Every time she does something beneficial it is because the plot demands it and not because her character was progressing to it.I don't even see how successive seasons can do much better. This season ended with two gods fighting. Anything after that might seem underwhelming in terms of scale.

If it weren't for good characters like Mako and Varrick this season would have been a complete letdown for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me it was the Spirit stuff that really worked and the Civil War that got shoved in the corner and really didn't have a chance to reach the forefront. It wasn't really the civil war that was interesting...it was Verrick who was easily the best character in this season. I really did like his role as an unconventional anti-hero.

I just wish we saw more of the Spirit World and Spirits because The Beginning Part I & 2 and A New Spiritual Age were some of the best episodes . Really fantastic and those where the only ones that really let the spirits and the world shine.

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know, it was mentioned that season 2 finale of TLA was the only one that didn't rely on Deus Ex Machina...which really only highlights the problem further: the one time DEM isn't used, the good guys lose. So in other words, they can only write a victory if DEM is involved...
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart View Post
    You know, it was mentioned that season 2 finale of TLA was the only one that didn't rely on Deus Ex Machina...which really only highlights the problem further: the one time DEM isn't used, the good guys lose. So in other words, they can only write a victory if DEM is involved...
    In a perfect world that would be the writing staff's commentary that heroes suck. Sadly we live not near Walgreens, but in a place where we are without such intentional poison.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i have to question the wisdom of korra leaving the portals open koh or spirits like him can go freely attack humans and any people like jinora or professor zei go looking for the spirit libary wan shi tong who will proably never stop hating humans will tear them apart.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Keeping the worlds linked forces them to learn to get along lest they seek an eventual mutual extinction. The goal isn't to prevent individual deaths. This mess was started in the first place because humanity was largely ignorant. Now that problem is being amended. Should another problem raise up in its wake "Oh well" is all that can be said before setting out to find another solution.

Or everyone dies a horrible death. Frankly I'd prefer a little Tomino up here.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Monte is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToDandy View Post
    So much of it. Sure the Avatar series has always had a bit of deus ex machina before but this is some new record. First off Rava disintegrates but conveniently reappears inside Vaatu near the end of the battle.
    That wasn't deus ex machina, that is what we were told would happen back in Wan's story. Vaatu and Raava can not destroy eachother; if one wins the other will just start anew growing from within the other. Vaatu likes to THINK its possible to be rid of Raava, but its just wishful thinking on his part

Quote Originally Posted by honorableninja View Post
    i have to question the wisdom of korra leaving the portals open koh or spirits like him can go freely attack humans and any people like jinora or professor zei go looking for the spirit libary wan shi tong who will proably never stop hating humans will tear them apart.
    Actually closing the portals was not really that good of an idea sorta. I mean all they did was segregate the humans and the spirits to keep them from conflicting; that's rather ignoring the real problem and finding a quick solution. When it comes down to it, the vast majority of Humans seem to not care one wit about the spirits and that is often what caused conflict. Heck, if Humans had learned to respect spirits long ago, Admrial Zhao might have never turned out like the kind of man who would burn down a section of Wan Shi Ton's library and fueled his hatred for humans; in a world where the spirits and humans live with mutual respect, humans are less likely to commit such gross offenses. You could even say that the only reason Won Shi ton is even a problem is because humans and spirits never learned to get along. Korra's father aswell; if he had be raised to respect the spirits, he would have known better than to destroy that forest and anger all the spirits.

In a sense, the only reason why the avatar needs to act as a bridge between humans and spirits, is because they never learned to get along with one another. If Spirits and humans could learn to get along the world would have greater harmony. Now granted, this season would have been A LOT better if that was the central theme and focus of the season, instead of just kinda being shoved in at the very end.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerkero View Post
    The writers if Avatar are very bad at coming up with believable endings. Deus ex machina all over the place.

I thoroughly enjoyed the civil war aspect of Korra season 2, but the spirit stuff really brought it down. Also, the last two seasons have not matched the original series in terms of the stylish display of bending. For the most part bending is just a means of throwing projectiles. Unalock vs Tarlok was a good battle, but I can't think of anything else.
    I felt the opposite. The Civil War was just not interesting since it all seemed predictable with Unalaq and I couldn't really care about Korra's parents. The Spirit World was interesting and if they focused on that throughout the series instead of the tail end, it could have been even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerkero
    Korra as a character has shown no earned progress. Every time she does something beneficial it is because the plot demands it and not because her character was progressing to it.I don't even see how successive seasons can do much better. This season ended with two gods fighting. Anything after that might seem underwhelming in terms of scale.

If it weren't for good characters like Mako and Varrick this season would have been a complete letdown for me.
    I agree that Korra hasn't shown any earned progress and that Varrick was a good character, but I wouldn't consider Mako a good character. Even before the annoying love triangle, he just felt bland and his subplot wasn't really that interesting aside from Varrick being Varrick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    That wasn't deus ex machina, that is what we were told would happen back in Wan's story. Vaatu and Raava can not destroy eachother; if one wins the other will just start anew growing from within the other. Vaatu likes to THINK its possible to be rid of Raava, but its just wishful thinking on his part

I'm more referring that she showed up again so soon. What is the point of their 10,000 year regular duel if the other just regenerates in a matter of minutes? Seriously. Rava was dead for a whole ten minutes and then conveniently showed up again right when Korra needed her to.