Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Antiyonder View Post
    Yeah, I really don't get Desna and Eska. With Zuko we knew that there was no pretense of Ozai loving him, and Zuko's willing to turn on him worked because he realized that fact as well.

The twins' reaction to Unalaq's behavior indicated that it wasn't the norm for him, and as such, even with the severity of how he acted, it should have been harder for them to see their father's fall.
    His behavior should have been what caused them to change sides. Bolin's sudden confession being what made them turn against their father, despite how far he was gone and how he disregarded his own son's life, was just plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiyonder
    Even more problematic is that it feels like Bryke actually tried to retcon the relationship a bit. It seems to play off the idea that Bolin left her for the fear of commitment and not because she was abusive.
    That's true and that's a really horrible way to play off their relationship. Eska was treating Bolin like a slave and was being emotionally abusive/manipulative. Bolin actually falling for her and just being afraid of commitment after what she did is just a terrible message to send to the audience. Not to mention it's just bad writing for Bolin and this entire subplot. I'm still hoping that they'll stop with the romance for awhile after it's been handled in this season, but that most likely won't happen.

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    His behavior should have been what caused them to change sides. Bolin's sudden confession being what made them turn against their father, despite how far he was gone and how he disregarded his own son's life, was just plain stupid.
    That might have been just the final nudge they needed

That's true and that's a really horrible way to play off their relationship. Eska was treating Bolin like a slave and was being emotionally abusive/manipulative. Bolin actually falling for her and just being afraid of commitment after what she did is just a terrible message to send to the audience.
    emotions are complex
    he may have loved her despite the abuse

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan View Post
    That might have been just the final nudge they needed
    That's still pretty weak, especially when they seemingly hadn't considered anything wrong with how their father was willing to let Desna die. Plus, the confession would only affect Eska and Desna would just follow suit, which is just bad writing in my opinion. They were blindingly following their father and it really should have been them realizing how far gone their father was rather than a love confession. That just comes off as contrived and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan
    emotions are complex
    he may have loved her despite the abuse
    The complexity of emotions is a weak excuse for another bit of bad writing in my opinion. Plus, Bolin loving her despite the abuse doesn't make sense. He hated spending time with her practically instantly, was trying to find a way out before being forced into an engagement and there weren't any positive interactions between them to make his love actually seem reasonable. She was treating him like her own personal slave and trying to play off that he loved her despite all of that is still a terrible message to give out to the audience.

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^^^This. And here's the dialogue incidentally:
    "No, I was scared. I was scared of my true feelings for you. Gah, I should have never left you. I'm sorry. And I'm sorry that we'll never have the chance to rekindle the dying ember that was our love into a big fire of love flames."

Sounds more like a stereotypical guy who dreaded commitment and not a guy rightfully in fear of his safety.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought Bolin's claim of love to her was a ruse so the twins would free him and Mako. It would've been a good tie-in to his whole acting career. So I was disappointed that his feelings for her was genuine. It was a missed opportunity to show clever writing.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I thought Bolin's claim of love to her was a ruse so the twins would free him and Mako. It would've been a good tie-in to his whole acting career. So I was disappointed that his feelings for her was genuine. It was a missed opportunity to show clever writing.
    Ehhh. The problem I find with it is that I felt that Boleska's ending should be a result of Bolin standing firm, with dignity and speaking his mind on wanting to break up without any tricks or emotional outbursts.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Neo Yi is online now The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My recap for "Light In The Dark."

For what it's worth, the finale ends well.

Like what Ed did with his Book 1 recap, I actually have a Book 2 recap coming up where I talk about, well, Book 2.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    My recap for "Light In The Dark."

For what it's worth, the finale ends well.

Like what Ed did with his Book 1 recap, I actually have a Book 2 recap coming up where I talk about, well, Book 2.
    I thought that was a good write-up. Korra being able to access her inner spirit seemed a bit too quick and easy. It isn't on the same level of Korra learning Airbending or Aang restoring her bending completely, but it seemed a bit easy for someone who hadn't been that into her spiritual side and this season didn't particularly show that she grew significantly in that regard. Jinora's role could have been explained a bit better. There was enough to guess that she just pointed out where to find Raava due to her own spiritual gift they already established, but it was still a bit unclear. Still, the final fight was engaging and cool to watch. It does make one question how they'll top that for the next two seasons though. A giant Korra fighting the giant Vaatu merged with Unalaq kind of sounds silly, but it was kind of fun at the same time. I'm not sure if they would go for a Dark Avatar cycle, but it's possible, even though there would need to be a significant time skip for that to play any role in the future seasons.

The fact that the lost connection with the past Avatars only works with those familiar with the previous series is one of the main reasons I have an issue with it. People who have only watched Korra probably wouldn't feel anything and Korra herself didn't really lose something important to her character. She barely talked to any of her past lives before, so there wasn't as much of a personal connection as there could have been. She was sad about it, but mostly for feeling like she had lost the battle and for Tenzin due to not being connected to his father anymore. In contrast, losing her bending in the last season was a personal loss for Korra. Her bending was her identity and without it, she was even more depressed. That's why her fear of losing her bending was affective. Korra's connection to her past lives wasn't really as important to her. Plus, Korra being the first of a new line of Avatars doesn't appeal to me, but if she was more of a capable leader or showed more signs of being such, then maybe that wouldn't bother me as much.

Korra's decision to leave the portals open really doesn't make sense. I agree that it comes off as sudden and given how they didn't even know the full extend of Unalaq's plans until just before the Harmonic Convergence, it doesn't make sense that she'd consider his points more. This decision could have worked if there had been much more focus on the spirits throughout the season, instead of in primarily the later half, and they were aware of Unalaq's plans earlier, instead of trying to keep it mysterious, so that Korra and her friends could consider his points some more. I think that playing Unalaq as a mysterious villain, or attempting to do so, was one of the major issues that hurt the season the most, especially when he's just generically evil. Plus, the Avatar not being the bridge between the two worlds doesn't quite sit right with me because of how that has been one of the key roles of being an Avatar. If the change in the status quo felt more natural, then that probably wouldn't be a problem.

I'm also glad that Korra broke up with Mako and she does come off as being more mature about it at least. I wouldn't give Mako any credit for telling her about their argument before she said anything. There was still no good reason to keep it a secret from her in the first place. Not wanting to hurt her again is a weak excuse, especially when it was at the expense of Asami's feelings, and he didn't tell Korra about getting back with Asami either. I'm hoping that Asami broke up with Mako off-screen rather than saving that relationship drama for next season. Although, I'm hoping that they just stop the relationship drama altogether. It is one of the major problems with this season and working on individual characters and friendships instead of romance would be a welcome change of pace. Either way, I hope that the Mako and Korra pairing stays dead and buried. Their relationship has been absolutely horrible and hasn't really put either character in good light, although more so with Mako than with Korra, but I don't want them to get back together again after this mess. Same goes for Bolin and Eska's relationship since that just sends a terrible message to the audience and Bolin being in love with her is just bad writing in general. Hopefully, the twins won't appear again. Even without counting the relationship, they haven't been that funny aside from a couple of lines or that interesting.

Despite my issues with it, I agree that this is better than the previous season finale. It's much less rushed and the deus ex machina isn't as annoying, although Jinora's powers in that fight are confusing, and it does benefit a lot from serving as a setup for a future season rather than a rushed attempt to tie everything up. I'll also give them credit regarding learning from the first finale since they have something stay lost this time, although I wouldn't be against Korra working on some way to restore her connection to her past lives at some point. I'll be looking forward to your Book 2 recap.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I thought that was a good write-up. Korra being able to access her inner spirit seemed a bit too quick and easy. It isn't on the same level of Korra learning Airbending or Aang restoring her bending completely, but it seemed a bit easy for someone who hadn't been that into her spiritual side and this season didn't particularly show that she grew significantly in that regard.
    I don't think it was too quick or easy. There's a definite progression and consequence for Korra's actions, especially if you remember the overall theme of finding Light within Darkness. Korra's "dark" overtook her when she let anger consume her better judgment, forcing her to go off the edge far more than she should have. She suffered severe consequences for it in "Peacekeepers" before getting a Plot Amnesia to calm her down long enough to undergo a definite spiritual journey in "A New Spiritual Age." That particular episode is important because it very thoroughly explored Korra's current flaws and strengths, creating a refined personality she carries for the duration of Book 2. It was most definitely her zenith point. No, she hasn't reached an "Airbending-mediative-Buddha-ish-level-of-inner-peace", but I never expected her to - she still has two more Books left! What Korra did learn was to stop being a self-entitled jerk and eventually find herself - her inner strength, what makes her Korra and I think in that front, it worked and I totally can accept that she built enough character progression to become Neon Genesis Evangelion Giant Rei Korra.

In short, I think the growth is much more organic. I certainly like it better than her Sudden Airbending she got in Book One because her pwecious, pwecious Mako was in trouble.

The fact that the lost connection with the past Avatars only works with those familiar with the previous series is one of the main reasons I have an issue with it.
    I have issues with this, too. If I had never watched Avatar, I don't think it would have hit me as emotionally.
    Stuff of Opinions:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    I don't think it was too quick or easy. There's a definite progression and consequence for Korra's actions, especially if you remember the overall theme of finding Light within Darkness. Korra's "dark" overtook her when she let anger consume her better judgment, forcing her to go off the edge far more than she should have. She suffered severe consequences for it in "Peacekeepers" before getting a Plot Amnesia to calm her down long enough to undergo a definite spiritual journey in "A New Spiritual Age." The last episode is important because it very thoroughly explores Korra's current flaws, her strengths, and a refined personality by end. It was most definitely her zenith point. No, she hasn't reached an "Airbending-mediative-Buddha-ish-level-of-inner-peace", but I never expected her to - she still has two more Books left! What Korra did learn was to stop being a self-entitled jerk and eventually find herself - her inner strength, what makes her Korra and I think in that front, it worked and I totally can accept that she built enough character progression to become Neon Genesis Evangelion Giant Rei Korra.

It's certainly more organic and much more believable than sudden Airbending in Book One because her pwecious, pwecious Mako was in trouble.
    I agree that it works better than how she suddenly learns Airbending just because of Mako being in danger, especially when they had all but dropped her Airbending training plot early on in the season, but finding her inner strength seemed a bit too quick and easy to me because of her difficult time with practically anything spiritual and her journey in this season didn't seem to drastically change that aspect of her character that much. It's not unbelievable per say, but the solution just happens a tad too quickly for my tastes. Maybe it would work a bit better for me whenever I rewatch the whole season.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A lot of why I think it works also hinges on Book 2 dealing strictly with Spirits, so it's an unavoidable element Korra would have to face sooner or later. Better sooner.
    Stuff of Opinions:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Overall, I'm liking how Korra did at least grow, but a problem I find is that it speaks of how she had to look within herself for the solution, when she still hasn't developed an identity outside of being The Avatar.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5