Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I.R Joey is offline Yep my face got stuck this way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Well played Legend of Korra. One of the strongest episodes of the season is the one episode where Korra hardly has any screen time.

The good.
    +Wow...Varrick slow clap, dudes. Well played LOK writers. I had a sneaking suspicion that the joking, fun loving tycoon was hiding something super shady but this was played masterfully. Even though I predicted that this would happen I was still picking my jaw off the floor.

+ I really felt for Asami in this episode. She has been such a classy, professional, forward thinking CEO this season, and when she cracked it was a very human moment. I groaned a bit when she kissed Mako (Asami you've so taken the high road regarding the break up) but I thought it was a very sincere moment of weakness for her.

+Somehow, someway this show has made me respect Mako. For so long I kind of thought of him as a jerk who didn't deserve Asami or Korra but now he is actually a guy who I can think highly of. He even has to get involved with his former triad...interesting. Nice turn around on that character.

+Post war Fire nation!!! I've been wanting to see how the Fire nation has changed over the last few decades and now I'll get my chance.

What I didn't like.

-Bolin is kind of being a jerk. I find it hard to believe that he would be that cold to his brother.

Notes.
    *Was the island Korra washed up on Roku's island or Ember Island? Where exactly in the Fire Nation island chain is she? I assume it's Roku's island but I'm not sure.

*What was going on with Unalaq and that spirit portal? Was he in the spirt world? Is it true that the light acts as a portal between the north and the south?

Overall this was a very strong episode for me. I think it deserves an A-.
    Question the Answers.

Every time you decide not to go to my artist's blog an angel has its wings viciously mutilated. Do you really want that on your conscience?
    http://stephenpjames.blogspot.com/

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I concur. He's one of the best villains in the entire franchise! Most villians come off as menacing from the start, and those that don't, usually become good in the end. Varrick, started off as fun and goofy and still does! He's still able to mask his villainous demeanor better than anyone else. But then again, no one's really tried. But that's what brings him a breath of fresh air.
    I agree as well. He's certainly a more interesting villain than Unalaq at least with more personality. Masking his villainous behavior and intent definitely makes him more interesting as well and he's still an entertaining character.

ShadowBeast is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Agreed with both of you. I'm so relieved the Big Bad of this season isn't Unalaq after all. The best part is, he can still be funny WHILE being a serious threat. That's something we haven't seen before. (At least, I hope he'll still be somewhat funny and not turn a complete 180 from this point.)

Also, I never would have seen it coming if so many other people hadn't predicted it last week. I'm slow on these things.
    I wouldn't exactly call him the Big Bad of this season since while he is a more interesting villain then Unalaq he'll most likely be dealt with before Unalaq and the dark spirits.

Aldrius is offline Arrogant Instigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed with both of you. I'm so relieved the Big Bad of this season isn't Unalaq after all. The best part is, he can still be funny WHILE being a serious threat. That's something we haven't seen before. (At least, I hope he'll still be somewhat funny and not turn a complete 180 from this point.)
    Best part? he's on KORRA'S side. He's representing southern water tribe interests. That's really complex and interesting. I hope they don't wimp out on that and team him up with Unulaq.

I'm looking forward to next week. The Fire Nation, potentially seeing Kyoshi, Aang and Roku... it's about time.

"You still race in the games, do you... guardian?.. For what!? Putting a show on for the masses are we? The young pretender!? To mend and defend... who will defend you the next time we meet!? Have your fun boy... while you can." - Megabyte

"They took everything, Bruce. My dad, my life... you. I'm not saying it's right or even sane... but it's all I have left. So either help me or get out of the way!"

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah Varrick is an awesome villain, I loved his evil "hello Mako" that was awesome. I told you just because he is anit Unaloq (at least half anti Unaloq, I still think he might be playing for both sides), doesn't mean he is a good guy. The first series had quite a few anti FN villains.

I like that Varrick he is about be cunning, and brains, and no bron. I hope it stays that way, that if cornored, he would wessel beg for mercey,he is like Long Feng only without the bron.

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As someone who utterly despises love triangles especially the one in season one of this show I felt the kiss scene in this episode was well done. It makes sense that Asami has not completely given up on Mako and thinks she might have another chance learning that Mako and Korra broke up. Yes I'm glad Mako did not kiss her back and gave her the indication that they will not get back together just because he and Korra broke up. I feel Asami needed that to truly move on. Mako never really liked her and now she knows it.

Glitcher is offline Lord of the Thundercats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What a lousy episode. This whole season has been depressingly underwhelming compared to the first. With the group so split up, it doesn't feel as if the narrative is tightly woven, and the threat of a few localized riots and piracy doesn't seem as threatening as Amon's campaign. Unalaq and his kids have an inconsequential part in this episode, showing what little presence they have as villains. I don't think Bolin's film career is really going anywhere and it feels as though it should be a humorous sub-plot for one episode, not part of the whole story arc. Korra shows up at the end, but her appearance is too brief to have much impact on the episode.

Overall, I was kind of bored and disappointed with how this turned out. Honestly, this whole season is lacking a strong sense of menace that made me tremble in fear at the Equalists. The writers need to take the civil war up a notch, and it's up to the heroes to band together again to fight it.

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Mako is really coming to be a better character than most would and still think of him, I'll admit that much.

Not a fan of Bolin acting like a jerk, though - that, and he's just being used like trash-able wares by Varrick, who definitely gets to shine here, which is always nice ( he may just be the best villain this show has had ever - Amon was alright, but not this over-the-top and engaging...).

I really hope the whole Korra w/amnesia thing doesn't go too far - it is pretty darn cliche. Hopefully not much comes of it - this show's got enough problems.

Also, I wouldn't take much stock into that kiss, either - the writers would be shooting themselves in the foot to revive something that got the show in trouble in the first place; after all, ratings are dropping on this show for good reasons...

No need to make things worse - thankfully, now the show's so-called "jerk-bender" IMHO, who is unfortunately Mako (but I think Bolin is going to become that now, due to what he's doing to himself!), knows that as well.
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

JCK
    JCK is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitcher View Post
    What a lousy episode. This whole season has been depressingly underwhelming compared to the first. With the group so split up, it doesn't feel as if the narrative is tightly woven, and the threat of a few localized riots and piracy doesn't seem as threatening as Amon's campaign. Unalaq and his kids have an inconsequential part in this episode, showing what little presence they have as villains. I don't think Bolin's film career is really going anywhere and it feels as though it should be a humorous sub-plot for one episode, not part of the whole story arc. Korra shows up at the end, but her appearance is too brief to have much impact on the episode.

Overall, I was kind of bored and disappointed with how this turned out. Honestly, this whole season is lacking a strong sense of menace that made me tremble in fear at the Equalists. The writers need to take the civil war up a notch, and it's up to the heroes to band together again to fight it.
    I see what you are saying. This season for me is certainly not as fun as the last in my opinion for some of the things you've mentioned. But I thought this episode was good! Mako felt important again and so did Asami. Bolin's in a behavioral phase. It will pass. I like the kind of mystery that drove the episode and I don't know how old most of you guys are, but I think some kids would be surprised about Varrick. Things that used to surprise me in TV back in the day don't anymore. I'm not saying kids are dumb. I'm certainly not a proponent of that mindset. But as I can only really speak for myself, I remember going back through old posts of shows I liked as I kid and being surprised that the members saw plot points coming that I hadn't. It's just a thought I had, which could be way off but it is a thought.

All in all, I think this is the best episode this season, and with a new epic two-part special scheduled for next Friday animated by the original Legend of Korra animators, I feel it won't be for long! And that's a good thing! In the beginning I was feeling very bored and not hooked on the show, but my loyalty to Korra keeps me coming back every time. I certainly don't think this season was better than the last and I wonder about your opinions. Mine is that this season is not as exhilarating and that's a shame. Still, these guys work hard and put out an excellent series. I'm just glad the old animators will be coming back full time soon! All in all: a really nice episode.

And what's wrong with a good anmesia plot? Wanting new things is fine but if it's handled well, which it will be, I don't see any problem.

ToDandy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm hoping that Verrick being the person behind everything is a Red Harring.

#1- because I like the character and although he's a slime ball I don't see him being that devious. Also I see his character working best as an Anti-Hero and less of a full blown villain.

#2- It's a little too obvious. My bet is still on the President pulling strings.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast