Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILDC View Post
    You don't get that feel from Gravity Falls?
    I got slight Regular Show vibes from it but I still wouldn't say Disney is trying to be Cartoon Network.

Disney does have Craig McCracken though... :P
    Last edited by GPRailroad8794; 06-19-2013 at 06:43 AM.

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRailroad8794 View Post
    By saying that, you're implying that Nick had little to no impact on the industry and that's far from the truth. And what do you mean by "copying CN" when Nick is the one who started the trend of gross out, bathroom humor in cartoons to begin with? If anything, CN copied Nick.

What are you talking about?
    It's true that Nick had their fair share of influence over the industry, but traces of that influence have grown less visible over the years, while the influence of CN remains visible
    For example, Fairly OddParents looks more like a 90s CN show, than a Nick show (helped by the fact that Butch Hartman used to work for CN during the 90s)
    Gravity Falls, Kick Buttowski, My Life as a Teenage Robot, My Little Pony: FiM, Littlest Pet Shop, Sanjay and Craig, as well as the upcoming Wander over Yonder, all were created by Cartoon Network veterans, who brought their significant styles (styled made popular by CN) with them, than then proceeded to influence the other creators at the networks

The last show to draw upon the old-school Nick influence was The Mighty B!

dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Port-O-Party looks gross to me. Lucas is OK.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan View Post

It's true that Nick had their fair share of influence over the industry, but traces of that influence have grown less visible over the years, while the influence of CN remains visible
    For example, Fairly OddParents looks more like a 90s CN show, than a Nick show (helped by the fact that Butch Hartman used to work for CN during the 90s)
    Gravity Falls, Kick Buttowski, My Life as a Teenage Robot, My Little Pony: FiM, Littlest Pet Shop, Sanjay and Craig, as well as the upcoming Wander over Yonder, all were created by Cartoon Network veterans, who brought their significant styles (styled made popular by CN) with them, than then proceeded to influence the other creators at the networks

The last show to draw upon the old-school Nick influence was The Mighty B!
    Alright, I see your point now.

I definitely wouldn't say FOP is anything like a 90s Cartoon Network show, at least not anymore. The closest it was to anything CN put out in the 90s was back during season one. If Nick really is in fact copying CN, then they're doing a terrible job.

ILDC is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRailroad8794 View Post
    Alright, I see your point now.

I definitely wouldn't say FOP is anything like a 90s Cartoon Network show, at least not anymore. The closest it was to anything CN put out in the 90s was back during season one. If Nick really is in fact copying CN, then they're doing a terrible job.
    The artstyle does seem like a cross between Dexter and Powerpuff, and those shows were kind of also about child wish fulfillment gone wrong...

Ickis is offline Classic Directors Cut Edition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think he's talking about the "dudes in wonderland" vibe, to paraphrase Silverstar.

But yeah, for whatever reason, Disney seems to get less flack for being more like CN than before. Maybe it's because they hired actual talent from CN, and generally reek less of flop sweat than Nick.
    "dudes in wonderland" , that phrase about sums up a popular trend in modern cartoons.

I agree with everyone that Odyessy Squad is a caculated shot at rivaling CNs cartoons, I'm surprised that so many people picked up on that though, if not a little flattered.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The artstyle does seem like a cross between Dexter and Powerpuff, and those shows were kind of also about child wish fulfillment gone wrong...
    I stand corrected once more! FOP is more like Dexter in that child wish fulfillment aspect than The PPG though.

As far as Cartoon Network's influence on the animation industry, you can trace most of it back to CalArts. Most animators who have/had a show on any of the Big 3 have come from that school. Cartoon Network served as the launching pad for the careers of Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, Butch Hartman, and Seth MacFarlane back in the 90s and we now have a new breed of talent from the school in Rebecca Sugar, J.G. Quintel, Pendleton Ward, and Skyler Page. There was an article on CartoonBrew many months ago that talked about how CalArts is pretty much a genre of animation in itself and how there is an underlying similarity in each of the artists it has produced's greatest works. CN made a STRONG impact, but it arguably wouldn't have been as powerful without the aforementioned names.
    Last edited by GPRailroad8794; 06-20-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Could you please post a link to that article?
    I'd be really interested in reading it, and I know other people who would be as well.

I also find it rather amusing how all of these creators' careers can usually be traced back to a single project.
    For the 90s wave, it was 2 Stupid Dogs (which was actually a Hanna-Barbera show, but so were the early seasons of Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, and the Powerpuff Girls)
    For the current wave, it's FlapJack

but to bet back on the subject of the thread
    does anyone know of another way to watch those Nick pilots?
    as always, Nick is blocking their non-American viewers (never understood the purpose of this)

Ickis is offline Classic Directors Cut Edition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan View Post
    Could you please post a link to that article?
    I'd be really interested in reading it, and I know other people who would be as well.

I also find it rather amusing how all of these creators' careers can usually be traced back to a single project.
    For the 90s wave, it was 2 Stupid Dogs (which was actually a Hanna-Barbera show, but so were the early seasons of Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, and the Powerpuff Girls)
    For the current wave, it's FlapJack

but to bet back on the subject of the thread
    does anyone know of another way to watch those Nick pilots?
    as always, Nick is blocking their non-American viewers (never understood the purpose of this)
    Are you asking me to link to an article or someone else?

My only suggestion would be to use a different IP or something, I too never understood why Nick blocks foreign viewers.

Judging by other peoples comments I'm not sure if you're really missing out on much.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I always want to see for my self before forming an opinion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast