Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan View Post
    Could you please post a link to that article?
    I'd be really interested in reading it, and I know other people who would be as well.

I also find it rather amusing how all of these creators' careers can usually be traced back to a single project.
    For the 90s wave, it was 2 Stupid Dogs (which was actually a Hanna-Barbera show, but so were the early seasons of Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, and the Powerpuff Girls)
    For the current wave, it's FlapJack

but to bet back on the subject of the thread
    does anyone know of another way to watch those Nick pilots?
    as always, Nick is blocking their non-American viewers (never understood the purpose of this)
    Here ya go: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-com...ity-74428.html

Jerry Beck posted this back in December; it's a good, interesting read.

EDIT: I agree with Ickis. Nick isn't producing anything worth watching at the moment but I approve of your postponing judgment.

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    However, there is at least some truth to the argument, though it’s less about any particular style and more about the herd mentality of some of its grads. Historically, when a certain TV series or feature created by a CalArts student has been successful, other CalArts grads have jumped on the bandwagon and tried to replicate its success. An example of this followed the success of Cartoon Network’s Dexter’s Lab. A full decade after its super-stylized look had been fully exhausted, Nickelodeon was still commissioning similarly stylized shows like My Life As A Teenage Robot, Danny Phantom, The X’s, El Tigre, and The Mighty B!. Not surprisingly, all five of those shows were created by CalArts grads.
    And yet, those shows had more forgettable writing.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ILDC View Post
    Those shows were forgettable in general.

Rereading the article, I have to fully admit SaneMan is right. In terms of art styles and to a lesser extent, plots, Cartoon Network really does carry a masive influence over the animation world but ultimately, even CN's influence stems from the CalArts 'sensibility'.

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I think that My Life As A Teenage Robot, El Tigre, The Mighty B!, and even the first two seasons ofDanny Phantom were allot more memorable than for example Doug (sorry, but the continuous popularity of this bland and forgettable show continues being a massive pet peve of mine)
    also, I always felt that The Mighty B! was more similar to Ren & Stimpy than to Dexter’s Lab

anyways, thanks for the article, it's been very interesting, alto I will say that the popularity of CN shows may have still played a part, seeing the number of shows imitating the RnS style back during the 90s

Ickis is offline Classic Directors Cut Edition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I disagree on just MLAaTR, I only saw glimpses of that show back when it was on but I still remembered it, though more for its visuals and concepts than the writing.

Thank you for that link GPR, I'm not exactly a huge fan of the heard like mentality that seemingly stems from CalArts students, one show with a certain style does well so they all mindlessly replicate it.

If I;m honest, all of their recent work looks like an angular take on those "Farside" newspaper comics.

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan View Post
    Personally, I think that My Life As A Teenage Robot, El Tigre, The Mighty B!, and even the first two seasons ofDanny Phantom were allot more memorable than for example Doug (sorry, but the continuous popularity of this bland and forgettable show continues being a massive pet peve of mine)
    also, I always felt that The Mighty B! was more similar to Ren & Stimpy than to Dexter’s Lab

anyways, thanks for the article, it's been very interesting, alto I will say that the popularity of CN shows may have still played a part, seeing the number of shows imitating the RnS style back during the 90s
    Maybe those shows will be fondly remembered in ten years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2