Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Neo Yi is offline The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

It's been a long time coming, but I write a blog that talks about Book 2 as a whole. Enjoy.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    It's been a long time coming, but I write a blog that talks about Book 2 as a whole. Enjoy.
    That was a really good write-up for the whole season. I agreed with a lot of your points. The series has some great themes, ideas and a terrific character in Varrick, but most of the character arcs do not work for me me and it takes them way too long to actually dive into the spirit themes. I'm still also not really into why Korra suddenly decided to leave the gates open. I understand that they were going for a change in the status quo and that isn't a bad idea, but there really should have been some reason to Korra coming to that decision other than thinking her uncle, who nearly put the world in ten thousand years of darkness, was right out of nowhere. Or at least have some buildup to it since it comes out of nowhere and really doesn't make sense. If they didn't keep Tarrlok's obvious evil plan a mystery for so long and Korra had more time to think about it instead of right at the final battle, then I think it would have been less jarring at least.

I actually think I wouldn't mind five episodes of Tenzin and his siblings bickering to each other, or at least not as much as with Korra yelling at practically everyone. At least Tenzin and his siblings arguing over their issues with their father makes sense. Korra was just lashing out at everyone who wasn't doing what she wanted and that just made her look terrible. Looking back, I can understand where they were going with her character arc, but they really could have done it without making her so insufferable. By the end of her arc, I didn't really get the strong impression that she had matured a lot, but I just felt relief that she would be more tolerable.

Most of the subplots were pretty weak. Mako's subplot mostly relied on making everyone else look stupid in order to make him look more competent, which was especially bad for Lin. There is no way Lin from season one would have such completely incompetent cops on her force and the fact that she complimented Mako after she threw him in jail was so strange. The only good thing about it was Varrick's screentime and showing how much of a better villain he was than Tarrlok. He was so entertaining and morally complex. I seriously hope he appears again. He's just too terrific. Bolin's whole storyline was pretty bad from start to finish for me. Putting him in a emotionally manipulating relationship and playing it off as comedy was bad enough, but having him suddenly fall in love with Eska at the end was so terrible. While Varrick making him into a star did lead to some funny moments, it also made him look like a jerk and I couldn't really feel bad for him when he was lonely for his friends, especially when Team Avatar hasn't really been that close to where I feel that there is a good connection between all of them. It still feels like they don't know what else to do with Bolin besides making him the comedy relief.

Asami definitely got the raw end of the deal. She's easily the most interesting out of Korra's friends and it helps that her conflict doesn't connect back to Korra, but the latter part is probably also why she doesn't get much focus. That and she can't do much against spirits compared to benders. Once again, she is wasted potential in favor of a stupid love triangle. I wouldn't have mind the kiss between her and Mako if it was just Asami caught up in her past feelings in a moment of emotional vulnerability, but they just had to put the two of them together again. And probably the worst thing about it was that it was so painfully unnecessary. All it did was create more tension during the last couple of episodes where Mako couldn't tell Korra, but that just seemed incredibly pointless. Even his defense about not wanting to hurt her again doesn't make sense when he clearly had no problem hurting Asami. At least they didn't get back together in the end and I would love it if they just stopped with the romance subplots in future seasons. They are just terrible in this series and really don't add anything of value. I do hope that Asami gets more screentime in the next couple of seasons since she's actually interesting and could definitely benefit from getting better focus.

The themes presented and carried out in the last half of the season are good and I really enjoyed the conflict with Tenzin and his family. They were short, sweet and went straight to the point. They weren't perfect, but those were usually the only good things about the first half of the season. Tenzin dealing with not being able to go to the Spirit World himself was good too and his interactions with his siblings were good. It helps that I actually like Tenzin while I don't care for most of the main cast. Once the pacing got better in the second half, it was more interesting to watch and had some really great moments. It does have a better finale than the first book and I am curious about where they're going in the next season. My view on season two is pretty similar in that it's pretty mixed. It starts off rough and most of the character arcs are pretty bad, or at least make a lot of the characters look bad/unlikable, but once the second half gets going, it is a much needed improvement.

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't care if Book 2 apparently has flaws. I'm still very interested in seeing it for myself, and I hope the Book 2 set is announced soon.
    "Ah, crusty pants, a filthy wall, good morning!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    I don't care if Book 2 apparently has flaws. I'm still very interested in seeing it for myself, and I hope the Book 2 set is announced soon.
    It's definitely worth checking out, despite all of its flaws. It just leaves me feeling kind of mixed. The story is generally good, at least once it starts rolling, and most of the themes are good, even though I think a couple could have been executed better. The character arcs and a good portion of the subplots are one of its weaker elements due to how most of the characters come off as unlikable and/or stupid to me.

Bit Cloud is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think everyone has to remember that Asami was originally created to be a villain(her femme fatale character design HELLO so OBVIOUS), but the writers changed their mind at the last minute and decided to make her a good guy. This however created problems in the story as Asami's original purpose and story were scrapped, and the writers since then have proven that they don't know what to do with her, so poor Asami is in a way "leftovers" from a finished story arc. It's unclear when the changeover was made, but the popular theory is Asami was still a villain for episodes 1 thru 6, and then was quickly rewritten not be for the second half of Book One, this in irony caused all the Mako hate to born, because most likely Asami was originally intended to side with her father and leave the group in episode 7, but because the writers kept her around Mako ended up looking like the jerky boyfriend.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    We can probably expect some Book 3 promotion in the not-too-distant future. Last week Michael DiMarinto made a passing remark on his tumblr that Studio Mir was at work animating the final episodes, and now this Dutch commercial (yes, really) with a little bit of footage is starting to make the rounds. Get ready for Tenzin with his shirt off!....and another thing that's pretty cool.

I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

rockorockorocko is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great find. I expect the LoK to return in the summer - specifically after KFP is finished with it's episodes (14 left I think). That gives enough time for LoK to begin airing alongside TMNT Sunday mornings at 11:30 a.m. Perhaps they'll launch it with TMNT's third season, which will likely be ready by then. TMNT has shown it can do pretty well Sunday mornings - just as good as Saturdays, and TMNT and LoK Friday nights both bombed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That is pretty cool clip. If they're that far along in the season, then I can see a summer premiere date as a possibility.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'd say having TLoK air after TMNT on Sundays in June-August would be a good improvement for Nick.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It finally occurred to me to dig up this little nugget from Peter Chung I remembered reading a few months ago on Anipages.

In Korea, American shows pay by the foot. (A unit that is meaningless today, but persists as part of the traditional professional lingo). Key animation on Nickelodeon's Avatar pays about 11000 won per foot ($11 currently). A 2 second cut is 3 feet (1.5 ft/sec). Most cuts are much longer. You can see why Korean animators don't want to work on Japanese shows.
    This was posted in 2007, but it makes me wonder if it also applies to The Legend of Korra. Chung is a director who has worked both in the American, Korean, and Japanese animation industries, so he knows quite a bit about what he's talking about.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Srebak is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to say, in recent years, my view of this franchise has become somewhat askew. At first, i, (more or less) enjoyed it, until finally enjoying it period (for the most part at any rate). To the point where when LOK was first announced, i was hyped up to see it come out, and when it did, despite a few aspects that i didn't like, the overall First Season was pretty good. I was also looking forward to "The Promise" book series as well, which started off very promising as well.

However, when i actually watched Book 2 of LOK and read the rest of "The Promise" (along with heard everyone else's opinions of it), my view of this franchise became somewhat rocked. With the book series, i was just so hoping that Aang would be the one in the right, but in he soon made the one in the wrong, and i can even see how that would work, which just upsets me to no end. I can't even think of a valid excuse for Aang's behavior in "The Promise"; he yelled at people who honored him for goodness sake, and i really think i need to. And then you have what was said in "Spirits" for LOK; apparently, Aang was not the best parent when compared to Katara and Tenzin was made the one in the wrong for believing that he was, what's more, it was apparently seen as a bad thing that Tenzin wanted to be like him.

And now there's this; "The Rift", from what i read on the Avatar wiki, once again, Aang is made the one in the wrong for wanting venerate an ancient Air Nomad celebration and "clinging to the past". Why is it bad that Aang is clinging to the past, his culture doesn't have much a future to look forward to, so why shouldn't he think back to a much happier time?

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but i'm out of options and i needed to get this out.

mrbean1500 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    I have to say, in recent years, my view of this franchise has become somewhat askew. At first, i, (more or less) enjoyed it, until finally enjoying it period (for the most part at any rate). To the point where when LOK was first announced, i was hyped up to see it come out, and when it did, despite a few aspects that i didn't like, the overall First Season was pretty good. I was also looking forward to "The Promise" book series as well, which started off very promising as well.

However, when i actually watched Book 2 of LOK and read the rest of "The Promise" (along with heard everyone else's opinions of it), my view of this franchise became somewhat rocked. With the book series, i was just so hoping that Aang would be the one in the right, but in he soon made the one in the wrong, and i can even see how that would work, which just upsets me to no end. I can't even think of a valid excuse for Aang's behavior in "The Promise"; he yelled at people who honored him for goodness sake, and i really think i need to. And then you have what was said in "Spirits" for LOK; apparently, Aang was not the best parent when compared to Katara and Tenzin was made the one in the wrong for believing that he was, what's more, it was apparently seen as a bad thing that Tenzin wanted to be like him.

And now there's this; "The Rift", from what i read on the Avatar wiki, once again, Aang is made the one in the wrong for wanting venerate an ancient Air Nomad celebration and "clinging to the past". Why is it bad that Aang is clinging to the past, his culture doesn't have much a future to look forward to, so why shouldn't he think back to a much happier time?

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but i'm out of options and i needed to get this out.
    Why do you feel that Aang must be perfect?

Srebak is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbean1500 View Post
    Why do you feel that Aang must be perfect?
    I don't know, it's just that when the main character of i show that i like is made to be in the wrong while someone else is in the right, or when the main character is made to lack a skill/quality that another character has, i just doesn't sit well with me.

ShadowBeast is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know, it's just that when the main character of i show that i like is made to be in the wrong while someone else is in the right, or when the main character is made to lack a skill/quality that another character has, i just doesn't sit well with me.
    So the main character has to be a mary su/gary stu?

mrbean1500 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly that would make it a lot less enjoyable for me to watch a "perfect" character. There would be no conflict since the character has no faults and would always get the job done perfectly. I believe this is one of the reasons people claim that Superman can get boring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I came across a link from Behind the Voice Actors:
    Behind The Voice Actors - Nickelodeon's 2014-2015 Animation Line-Up

No mention of The Legend of Korra. Sorry, folks.

However, if there are sneak previews and updates on TLOK, let's hope Nick decides to air it along with TMNT on Sunday mornings in the summer. Hopefully, Book 3 will be a success.

Neo Yi is offline The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bryan Konietzko previews some of the pages for the upcoming artbook for Book Two. So excited!
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    An exclusive first look at what we can expect from the season set for book 2 on Blu-ray and DVD is up at IGN. Bonus material looks really, really good for this one. Audio commentaries for all episodes once again and there are even more animatics than in the first set. Then there's the featurettes "Inside the Book of Spirits" and the ones focusing in on the relationship issues in Korra's family and Tenzin's family, all featuring talk from Konietzko and DiMartino. I don't think one could ask for a much better set of extras for getting into their heads in regard to the creative process for Book 2.

Also, that cover art. Who can say no to Korra with her hair down? Heathens and Communists, that's who!

Oh, and here's the product link for the Blu-ray edition of book 2. IGN only linked to the DVD set.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Korra does look really nice on that cover. I especially like the commentary on Tenzin's relationship with his family members. That sounds like it would be really interesting.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    July First? Like, EXACTLY on my birthday? That's going to be a hard gift to time right.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast