Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ed Liu is offline Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    Well I give the Korra the benefit of the doubt. It makes sense that Amon scared her so much, and she is not ready to deal with it. She just wants to forget about that, and focus on other things to get her mind off of Amon. And we never saw Korra's training with Tenzin, Tenzin is the only one who saw Korra in her frighten state, as far as we know the others don't know Korra is scared of Amon. So they think everything is cool, and Korra will handle things when Amon attacks.
    I should clarify a bit. As I mentioned in the recap, I thought a scene where Tenzin explicitly tells her to step away from the Equalists and go back to her training would have gone a long way to making an easier transition from "AAAAHH!! I'm more terrified than I've ever been before in my life!" to "Rah Rah Win Fire Ferrets! Oooh, I love you why don't you love me?" I think that's the only rational bridge from that last episode to this one.

The idea that it started from Korra as you suggest runs into the problem of "What did Tenzin have to say about that?" I think he'd rumble and say something like, "It's your decision, but you don't resolve your fears by avoiding them" and cite the example of his father. Maybe Korra would just blow him off, but that'd seem to be a moment worth seeing on-screen to re-emphasize the stresses in their relationship.

I still think it would have been a bit jarring to go so fast from one extreme to the other, but not as much. And maybe we will see that scene later, in which case I'll be happy to be proven wrong .

The reasons I outlined above are a reason why I don't think pro-bending is something I'd want them to spend much time on in general, though. There are moments when it ties in nicely (like the teachable Airbending moment in the second episode), and maybe it's the humanizing hook to bring home what the Equalists are really pushing, but it still seems trivial.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Considering that they're already going into the finals, I don't think that they're going to be spending too much time on pro-bending, which I'm perfectly okay with. While parts of the pro-bending matches were more fun to watch than I thought they would be, mainly the first one where it showed how the team worked together, it still doesn't seem that interesting, especially compared to the other more serious Equalist plot. I wouldn't have mind some line/scene as a transition from the previous episode. Tenzin could have offered some comfort or guidance with Korra's decision to move away from the Equalist issue. Plus, I like how Tenzin seems to be becoming more a father figure for Korra than just her teacher. It's kind of sweet, especially considering he's talking to the reincarnation of his own father, and I like the way they bounce off each other.

As for the romance, a part of me doesn't mind that they did it early as a breather from the previous episode, but after thinking about how Korra admitted her feelings to Mako, it also feels a bit early for her to want to admit her feelings for him considering they haven't known each other for that long. At least Bolin seems to interact with Korra outside of practice. Though, being a teenager and most likely not having too much interaction with people her own age, due to being in the South Pole with barely any freedom outside of that compound, probably makes her more eager to admit her feelings. I would be in favor of Korra and Bolin becoming a couple to end the love triangle. While I like Mako, I think that Bolin clicks with Korra more and it would be refreshing for the main character not to enter a relationship with the first person they have a crush on.

firefoxprime is offline 90s = Golden Years
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man oh man...I tell you what. I was eating up all these love triangle romance stuff. Absolutely. Its a show with teens. Romance is expected, so I flow with it :P To those who are "meh" about the probending, tis a shame. What a perfect outlet for the MOI animators to flex their muscles and shove epic eye-candy bending scenes in our faces XD. That's probably as technical as I'm going to be. I really feel sorry for those who really really really try to break the show down. I did that during the first half of YJ S1(the animation blew me away), and I really couldn't get submerged into the story or the world(without rewinding eps on my dvr). So with Korra, I take everything as is. I enjoy the visuals, the comedy, and the characters. Been doin wonders for me
    Anime currently watching:

Hanasaku Iroha , Gad Guard, Birdy the Mighty, Eden of the East, Chromo Shelled Regios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like this show its just not hitting the same note as Avatar The Last Airbender. I feel like I'm not as attached to the characters or the story.

r0derix is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Travis View Post
    I like this show its just not hitting the same note as Avatar The Last Airbender. I feel like I'm not as attached to the characters or the story.
    I think you are too quick to judge. It's only been five episodes. Did you feel the way you do now about the original after it's first five episodes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You present a very good point I just feel like with only 12 episodes its gonna be hard to develop the characters as well as they did with A TLA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxprime View Post
    What a perfect outlet for the MOI animators to flex their muscles and shove epic eye-candy bending scenes in our faces XD.
    It's Studio Mir doing all the animation for this show.
    https://www.facebook.com/miranimation

Korra is their first project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ratings for this episode:

Legend of Korra (Nickelodeon)
    -11 AM: 3.784 million viewers, 0.95 A18-49 (#1 on the network for the day)

firefoxprime is offline 90s = Golden Years
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarseven View Post
    It's Studio Mir doing all the animation for this show.
    https://www.facebook.com/miranimation

Korra is their first project.
    Wuhh? So that explains why the animation felt so "different". Mhmm. Thanks for the correct info dude. So...was I correct on MOI animationg YJ and Ult Spidey?
    Anime currently watching:

Hanasaku Iroha , Gad Guard, Birdy the Mighty, Eden of the East, Chromo Shelled Regios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I missed this episode because of my SATs. Why hasn't Nick been airing repeats of this show? I'd like to get caught up before the next ep airs, and I don't really feel like watching it online right now.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast