Quantcast
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Srebak is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I gotta say, not my favorite episode, too many characters got hurt and i feel sorry for the emotional pain they suffered

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    According to wiki, 26.
    The first 12 episodes make up season 1 and then we have season 2 which will be 14 episodes
    Yup but the Equalist will wrap up this season. Next season new plot, possible new villain?

If Amon is going to attack during the pro bending finals, and this episode is about our heros reaching the pro bending finals. It could have ended with Amon and the Equalist getting ready for their invasion.

This is a breather episode, but I know a lot of animes even in breather episodes they sneak in some plot normally at the very end, after 20 minutes of fluff, last minute a cliffhanger. The original Fullmetal Alchemist anime had a breather episode which was about Havoc dating Armstrong sister and Mustang's crew looking for ghost, but it snunk in some plot. The Code Geass academy episode, which was always silly comic relief but ended with edge of your seat cliffhangers. I would have ended with Amon and the Equalist getting ready for the pro bending finals, Amon doesn't even have to talk, have one of his underlings talks and say "we are ready Lord Amon."

Amayirot Akago is offline Akaringo
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was expecting to not really care much for this episode, but OH GOD BOLIN AND KORRA ARE SO ADORABLE. My heart sank when Bolin burst into tears upon seeing Mako and Korra's big moment. Now I'm not sure who I ship anymore. Wait... when did I start shipping? OH GOD, what is this show doing to me!?

Also, is it just me or was Bolin drunk when Mako came to get him from the restaurant? :P

The pro-bending matches at the end were good, though it was hella contrived that the Fire Ferrets underperformed because of their interpersonal conflicts, only for Korra to sort everything by herself in the end. Didn't make her giant water hadouken any less awesome, though.

Streaming games regularly on Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/amayirot_akago

Check out my weekly Legend Of Korra recaps at my blog, Ramblings Of A Dutch Avatard!

Neo Yi is offline Time, the everlasting fool
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ed's interview with Mike and Bryan seems to confirm that the first twelve episodes (Season One) can act as a standalone, so I'm not surprised they're immediately jumping to the romance this early in the run (arguably close to the halfway point of the first season).

Personally, I didn't have any issues with it. One of the things I like is that all the main cast are so forward about their romance instead of the usual "Can't express how they truly feel until the very last minute" (not that it's a trope I dislike; Korra's approach is just a breath of fresh air). In their own ways, of course. Mako is uncertain. He did jump into Asami way too quickly and conveniently and while I'm certain the two are getting to know each other well, lingering feelings for Korra is still there. I'm glad he decides to be loyal and stick with Asami regardless (and I especially like the little scene at the end when Korra thanks Asami for her family's support). Bolin's always liked Korra. For a time, I think it started off as a shallow crush; "Leaf in the Wind" states he has numerous fangirls and he did immediately jump to Korra's rescue because she was likely just another pretty face. I think Bolin really does have genuine feelings for her by the time this episode aired; mostly because he has gotten to know her better. Maybe not to a deep, personal level, but he likes her personality and skills enough that he is willing to pursue a long term relationship (and the end of their date segment seems to really drive that point). It's especially more evident when he runs off heartbroken (even if they play it a bit for comedy), though that can also come with the whole "my own brother betrayed me" deal. I was rooting for the poor guy, I admit. And Korra? Heck, we know she likes Mako and she did use Bolin to "get back at him", but I love that she not only apologized to Bolin for her actions, but sincerely stated she had a good time regardless. It is pretty nice to see how their current romantic woes does affect them in the Pro-Bending matches (after Bolin dates Korra; he's the one who pulls them through during a tie match, when all three realize they're in a love triangle, they can't concentrate and stumble, etc.)

The other little thing I liked was Korra's confrontation with the rival bender. She could have clobbered him. She could have ignored Bolin's warning and jeapordize her team, but she chose not to. Instead of using her Bending for once, she simply scares him away without physical force. It's a really neat and gradual character development.

If I had any real issue is that they concluded it too quickly. I really wanted it to linger a tiny bit more and I feel there is a sense of incompletion that they may end up going back to, but given neither brothers and Korra are in any "true love" scenario, their immediate forgiveness and reunion has more validity. In the end, it's their friendship and camaraderie that matters first and most.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    Whimsically Tedious, I review Wakfu, season one.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was an alright episode, lots of shipping goodness going on, which was kinda fun even though I'm not really a shipper. Felt kinda bad for Bolin, but I think they shoulda played his heartbreak and more seriously instead as comic relief. Looking forward to next week, when we hopefully get back to the Amon and equalists vs Korra plot.

Toons4ever is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I fell it's alittle to early to more this much relationship drama this was still a pretty good episode. Make me wonder where they'll go from here. P.S. Does anyone know the official shipping terms for Korra and Bolin and Mako and Asami?

Amayirot Akago is offline Akaringo
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toons4ever View Post
    While I fell it's alittle to early to more this much relationship drama this was still a pretty good episode. Make me wonder where they'll go from here. P.S. Does anyone know the official shipping terms for Korra and Bolin and Mako and Asami?
    Borra and Masami.

Streaming games regularly on Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/amayirot_akago

Check out my weekly Legend Of Korra recaps at my blog, Ramblings Of A Dutch Avatard!

Ed Liu is offline Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hey, it's recap time, where I detail why I didn't care for this episode a whole bunch, note a possible in-joke for fans of the TV show, and manage to do it in under 1000 words for once.

Did the TV broadcast have J.K. Simmons in the credits also? Or did they do the usual thing where they all flash by too fast to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypeathon View Post
    While we're at it, can I get an explanation for not being into the probending aspect too? I mean, unless it's a disinterest towards sports in general, then... I'm lost.
    It's partially that, but for me it's also a problem of misplaced priorities. The Equalists are an existential threat to Benders of all nations. Sure, we are all pretty sure it's a trick, but even if it is, they are a secretive army that can take away bending ability at least temporarily and possibly permanently. Ty Lee was highly unusual in the original series; there's dozens, if not hundreds, of chi-blockers in the Equalist ranks. Amon has been built up (quite successfully) as a major-league threat who Has a Plan.

In comparison, what is the big deal if the Fire Ferrets win or lose the tournament? It's a sports event, and trivial almost by definition. I get that it's important to Korra and the team, but failing in one means she can shake her fist in the air and say, "Wait 'till next year!" and failing in the other means she isn't the Avatar any more, and possibly may end the Avatar cycle permanently if Amon actually IS spirit-bending. I look at the first one and say, "So what?"

To an extent, the romantic entanglements suffer from the same problem of being relatively trivial in the scheme of things. The fact that the entire episode just hits the reset button at the end doesn't endear it to me, either. We're right back where we started, so we either do this again later or it gets dropped entirely, since the other real surprise twists in the relationship go well beyond what they'll show on Nickelodeon . I guess they could just end that whole thing and make Korra and Bolin a couple (and, honestly, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to me -- I think they are pretty nicely suited for each other).

Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    Since I last week episode and Asami said the line about feeling safe around Mako in that carrage ride, that just really make me believe she is going to die.
    ...or Mako is.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by spartanx54 View Post
    Spoiler:
    I heard Amon is invading the tournament..CANNOT WAIT!!!!
    Spoiler:
    Amon is seen in the Pro-Bending arena in the trailer that comes with the Korra season pass on iTunes and that I'm pretty sure has been posted elsewhere. So I'm thinking that's a pretty good bet.

The other thing of note is that after episode 5, we've seen just about everything that's shown up in all the trailers I've seen, with the few remaining bits being the scenes I talk about in the spoiler above.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
    -- Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

Destiny of Awe is offline Should update a lot of things
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest with you, I didn't know whether I should've laughed or not at Bolin's crying scene. :/

That is all I have to say.
    "Don't worry guys, this time, I'm back for sure!"

Yeahhhhh, I have a bad knack for lying.

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    Hey, it's recap time, where I detail why I didn't care for this episode a whole bunch, note a possible in-joke for fans of the TV show, and manage to do it in under 1000 words for once.

Did the TV broadcast have J.K. Simmons in the credits also? Or did they do the usual thing where they all flash by too fast to see?

It's partially that, but for me it's also a problem of misplaced priorities. The Equalists are an existential threat to Benders of all nations. Sure, we are all pretty sure it's a trick, but even if it is, they are a secretive army that can take away bending ability at least temporarily and possibly permanently. Ty Lee was highly unusual in the original series; there's dozens, if not hundreds, of chi-blockers in the Equalist ranks. Amon has been built up (quite successfully) as a major-league threat who Has a Plan.

In comparison, what is the big deal if the Fire Ferrets win or lose the tournament? It's a sports event, and trivial almost by definition. I get that it's important to Korra and the team, but failing in one means she can shake her fist in the air and say, "Wait 'till next year!" and failing in the other means she isn't the Avatar any more, and possibly may end the Avatar cycle permanently if Amon actually IS spirit-bending. I look at the first one and say, "So what?"

To an extent, the romantic entanglements suffer from the same problem of being relatively trivial in the scheme of things. The fact that the entire episode just hits the reset button at the end doesn't endear it to me, either. We're right back where we started, so we either do this again later or it gets dropped entirely, since the other real surprise twists in the relationship go well beyond what they'll show on Nickelodeon . I guess they could just end that whole thing and make Korra and Bolin a couple (and, honestly, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to me -- I think they are pretty nicely suited for each other).
    Well I give the Korra the benefit of the doubt. It makes sense that Amon scared her so much, and she is not ready to deal with it. She just wants to forget about that, and focus on other things to get her mind off of Amon. And we never saw Korra's training with Tenzin, Tenzin is the only one who saw Korra in her frighten state, as far as we know the others don't know Korra is scared of Amon. So they think everything is cool, and Korra will handle things when Amon attacks.

Aang was the same way, he ran away from his responsibilites and got frozen in ice. Than later when confronted having to Fire Bend, he wanted to go look around the Western Air Temple with the "useless trio", it took the rest of the gAang to confront that, than later he confronted his fear thanks to Zuko little speech. Than again when confronted with the dilema of weather to kill Ozai, he kind of ran away though the magic Turtle kind of abuducted him.

I am sure in the next episode Tenzin will confront Korra on her trying to run away from her fears by Pro Bending.
    Last edited by zoombie; 05-07-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast