Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'SpongeBob' Turns 13 Today

Like This Thread!

As some of you may noticed, SpongeBob SquarePants has just turned 13 years old. The series debut on May 1, 1999 (unoffically, as the series premiered after the '99 KCA awards), but it really debuted on July 17, 1999 (offically).

Any thoughts?

Go visit my new blog, Cartoon Central for reviews, games, fun and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Happy happy birthday, happy birthday cake!
    Happy happy birthday, pin the tail on the seahorse!

ferrisjso is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel that its a travesty that Spongebob is still airing new episodes 13 yeaars after its premiere.Nick has milked everything they can out of this show cancelling tons of other good shows as a result.Now Spongebob is'nt a horrible show at times it can be pretty funny but the network has overan it by nearly a decade.It was created by Stephen Hillenburg a director on Rocko's Modern Life(A show with a very similar genre to that of Spongebob).After three seasons and a theatrical movie release Hillenburg left the show.Instead of letting the movie be the shows end Nick continued the show.Nick went crazy promoting single episodes of Spongebob like Where's Gary,Dunces and Dragons and Best Day Ever and when these eps delivered in the ratings Nick turned it's channel into a neverending marathon of the Sponge.From Season 5 onward IMO Spongebob has been a trainwreck just a shell of it once was but Nicks younger demograohic still watches the endless stream of Spongebob repeats and Nick just orders more and more and more new episodes as a result.Today 13 years after its premiere Spongebob has been renewed for a total of 204 episodes the most for any Nicktoon ever the next closest is Rugrats with 172.In 2014 another movie is being released.Hopefully that will be the end of the Sponge.

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I first saw Spongebob during the post-KCA preview, I hated it with a firey passion. I still find the first episode to be ridiculously poor, but by season 2 it had improved so drastically that it easily became my favorite Nicktoon ever. I can even stand the first episode now.

As for the show lately...blech.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sorry this zombie hasn't been put down yet, if you want my opinion on this... To be brutally honest, even before it was okay to hate this show, I knew this show not only didn't feel like a Nicktoon, but that it clearly was never my cup of tea and never would be, no matter how good it once was before Hillenburg (and hopefully those loyal to quality animation who did know better) left!
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

drag908 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bah, some of you need to get your nostalgia glasses off. The new episodes have been fine from Season 8.

Happy (late) b-day SB!

Hero Ponchin is offline Hai Hai!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Happy birthday, Spongebob.
    "Motivation will always beat more talent."- Norman R. Augustine

"So does a hit-and run. Cleary, a wise man."-Turbo

Looney Tunes Fan is offline Classic Cartoon Fan!!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Happy Birthday SpongeBob!
    I love classic cartoons!!
    If you're a fan of classic cartoons, please visit The IAD Forums! It's the place to talk and chat about your favorite cartoons! Run by eutychus, this site has brought back a bunch of GAC members, and some toonzone members are over there too! Check it out today!: http://www.intanibase.com/forum/index.php

mIjulz is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hoorrraayyy!! Spongebob was a teenager at last; I wonder who will be his love interest now that he grows up. LOL

SaBel is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lly? Wow.. Belated Happy Birthday Spongebob.. lol.. the very bubbly and positive spongebob..
    FAIRY TAIL is the BEST!

lg tv

lg tv

Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Happy 13th Anniversary SpongeBob.

The Talon is offline Ooga Chaka
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, 13 years have already gone by. Glad I could spend them with that quirky little sponge.