Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    GoldTyphlosion is offline Hahahaha
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

So my theory about Asami is that she is secretly with the Equalists but it's not Mako who is threatened but opponents from the other pro-bending teams.

I read this thing about Tahno from http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Tahno

Spoiler:
    As revealed in an official promo, Amon tries to take his bending away.

Perhaps Asami is setting things up with the Equalists so that threatening opponent pro-benders' abilities are taken away so that the Fire Ferrets have less of a chance of losing and therefore helping to sponsor Future Industries.
    Visit my deviantart

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    Now, if only Ed would finish his recap.
    You rang?

In which I detail my grand unified theory of this episode and the entire show up to now, hammer some more on that "Old vs. New" thing (and maybe it even makes sense), show why I think some of the throwaway moments in the episode are actually the most important things in it, and...

Quote Originally Posted by I.R Joey View Post
    *I'm kind of curious about what that flashback/vision of Korra's meant.
    ...talk about what I think that whole thing meant. It's out there now, so we'll see if I'm right or if I'm crazy. Or maybe both.

I'm not 100% convinced that's adult Sokka, but it sure looks a little like Hakoda, so it probably is.

Amon and the Equalist capturing Korra so easily seemed a bit odd. I'm kind of wondering...why didn't the Avatar state trigger when they tied her up?
    She was chi-blocked at the time. No bending. I'm assuming it's the same effect as what happened when Aang was blocked and couldn't access the Avatar State during season 3.

Other bit that I didn't get to in the recap -- I noticed that there's a hint on what that little fish/arrow thing is on Tenzin's robes because all the other senior council members are wearing one, too. There's one member from each Nation on the council, but Tarrlok doesn't have one because (I presume) he's the junior Water Tribe member.

Asami is also teh hotness. If she ends up in Korra's fabulous hat, I might get in real trouble . Though I have to also wonder how long it'll last between her and Mako if Mako had issues with Korra's casual comment about having people taking care of things for her.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    originally posted by zoombie
    I tell you Korra was boarderline arrogant, but she was still likeable even when she is like that. A starc difference from Ben Tennison. When he was on an ego trip in season 3 of Alien Force, he was so unlikeable I wanted him to fail and fall on his face. So kudos to the writers for a great job with Korra's character.
    Well here it was more like Korra was trying to come across as overly confident in the beginning to not show that she was terrified. Even though she was which is why she broke down at the end. But the thing is that the team made sure to capture that kind of reaction more realistically without it coming across as her being a jerk. Which yeah shows the staff here is better then Alien Force since wasn't it stated several times in Ben 10 that Ben was over confident and self promoting to try and cover up for his own insecurity? And yet most of the time it either never came across that way or had to be spelled out in our face he was like that?

originally posted by Mr. Hypocrite
    I agree with you on that. I get why she isn't all that impressed by Korra (they had a spectacularly bad first meeting, and first impressions can be hard to overcome) but Korra was clearly uncomfortable being there, and what Lin said didn't help. I can understand her attitude towards Korra, but I can't help but wonder if there's something else to her dislike of the Avatar besides how she first appeared.
    Well if we're all tossing out theories here's mine: Okay as we saw in the original series really powerful earthbenders can live a ridiculous amount of time. Bumi was over 100 and it has been officially stated that Avatar Kyoshi was over 250 years old before she died. Which means that Toph should definitely be alive right now unless she was taken by some outside force. So what if in that conflict hinted at here (or even another one) Toph lost her life? And it happened during a mission with Aang and Chief Bei Fong carries a personal vendetta against him for that? Could make sense and could also explain why she seems to be the polar opposite of her mom since Toph always hated rules and order. Yeah she was just a kid but still I don't think she'd grow respectful of that to the agree Lin is as an adult but if Lin thought not following the rules is what got her mom killed she would want to do different. Just throwing that out there since I think it would make sense and explain her attitude towards Korra.

originally posted by Peter Paltridge
    [I'm getting that vibe too. She glommed onto him way too fast -- she was deeply interested in his personal feelings five minutes into their date. There was no awkward stage at all; the relationship was instant. Also: undeveloped, personality-less hot chicks always turn out to be evil.
    Well to be fair we only saw snippets of their relationship and not the full thing here. Also, to be fair in the original series didn't Sun and Jin fall pretty quickly for Zuko in season 2 and seem to bond fairly instantly with him. Yeah it never went anywhere but he never followed up on a relationship with them but Mako obviously isn't going that route. Also there is actually info on Asami that details a bit more of her character that kind of disproves that theory of yours.

I do have to say they are doing not only a good job of building up Amon, but the threat of the Equalists as well. And that's probably due to how they're approaching it far differently then in the first series. In Avatar, it was the power of the fire nation: the big shows of burning blasts and attacks of flames that made them feel like a legimate threat (well when they weren't being easily outsted by Aang and co). It was a lot of flash that did at least present a challenge, even if the challenge would be lessened sometimes due to them being the villains and losing a good majority of the time. The Equalists work differently though. Yeah we've seen some good non bending heroes or foes from the original series but I always got the feeling that most of the time, benders would always have the advantage unless it was a large group or they weren't giving their all. Which is how the equalists are so affective: they strike in the shadows and paralyze you without being grandiose and making a big splash until you are powerless to resist. I knew that Amon was waiting in the shadows for Korra but I was surprised at how the Equalists were able to take her out so quickly yet at the same time it actually felt legimate at how she was jumped and chi blocked without it being cheaped. I don't know so much about Amon's whole "I'll wait to finish you off last" speil. He says he has a plan which I guess is also why he let her go before and the whole "Matyr" excuse feels about as legimate as "we can't kill you Avatar cause you'll just regenerate into the next cycle" but I don't know if I buy the legitmacy of his plan. Then again it feels like enough of an excuse espiecally if the guy can't take away bending for good. Plus he is at least trying to be constant with his image: you know having Benders being the ones who are now fearing and giving "hope" to the non benders and such.

Which is what this episode actually did really well: Delve some into Korra's fears. I really like how she broke down at the end admitting she hadn't faced anything like Amon before and was actually afraid since it was obvious she was from the entire episode. You know here not wanting to join the task force at force but then Tarrlok playing on her overconfidence so she wouldn't have to admit to anyone else she was scared and then thinking she had conquered her fear of Amon by challenging him and then realizing she hadn't whatsoever. Actually what I like about Korra's whole challenge was her wanting to "take down the middleman" which seemed like kind of a subtle knock at how long it took the first series to get to it's climax fight of Aang vs Ozai. Though this time it's not a case of just building up power or increasing the bending repotiatre but rather how to fight your fears and learn to think more strategically. Which actually this episode does have a lot of: with Tarrlok playing on Korra and getting her to join the Task force and even Sato wanting to sponsor the Fire Ferrets. (Who wants to bet we're going to get him trying to severly change the team just for his own self image in a later episode? Kind of obvious where that plot is going but let's hope it does that interestingly). And though there were a few interesting fights with the raid of the chi blockers the actual politics and discussion were pretty well done. I really hope kids feel this way too (since Nickelodeon seems to really lack promoting Korra with how it keeps removing repeats of the show in favor of Spongebob or something else they've already rerun into the ground dozens of times) as it is a new flavor from what the other series did, but not in a bad way.

So what else worked about this episode? Well I thought the introduction of Asami and her being with Mako worked pretty well. As others said nice to see he isn't all super Zuko angsty all the time and actually the last scene of him talking about his father's scarf and her mentioning her mother felt a lot less forced then the backstory dump last time. I wish we got a bit more of Asami's personality here but she seems nice enough and hey maybe we'll get more later. Plus this episode still had some good jokes: Mako pointing out Bolin hits him harder in pratice, the little shruge Tenzin did to Pema when Tarrlok invited himself to the dinner (this show needs more subtle jokes like that actually), Ikki annoying Tarrlok, Bolin and Korra chatting about Tarrlok (funny in it's execution), Ikki and Meelo imitating driving the car, Meelo apparently peeing in the fountain and like I said what I thought was a subtle knock at the last show's pacing by having Korra just want to challenge Amon right now. It does make me wonder even more just where this series is going to go but hey that's a good thing as it keeps you guessing since it's on far less of a striaght path and the more curves this show can throw the better. Besides maybe a few overdone music thing and more teasing then they should for Amon's plan (like I said I can appreciate that but there's such a thing as too much teasing) nothing to really complain about this one. Eh maybe they could of done more with Lei Fong then a 5 second cameo and I guess the exposition could of been handled a bit better but those are really nitpicky complaints honestly as this episode continued the story and really handled the theme it was going for and helped us connect more to Korra which I liked. Could be the best epsiode so far actually, at least IMHO anyway.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I want Asami to be exactly what she appears to be: The Perfect Girlfriend™. She loves bending, she's considerate and empathetic, missing parents give her and Mako something in common...on the surface, she's a perfect match and an ideal subversion of the apparent Korra/Mako shipping in episode three. Asami's existence is worth it just to mess with shippers (mwahahaha!) and to be another thing making Korra's life more complicated...and more interesting to we viewers, I say.

Amon's reasoning made sense and his hardcore intimidation of Korra was pitch-perfect. He's savvy, he knows what he's doing, he exudes menace, he's in it to win and has no interest in playing fair. He's been 100% sold as a villain and just think, he hasn't even done much of anything yet! Brilliant.

There's no doubt in my mind Korra's flashback was showing off the older Gaang. It had Aang fighting (Korra even called him by name), it had Toph, and who could that slim older man be if not Sokka? I can see Aang's pals all being involved with Republic City affairs in some way. Now we just need to see adult Katara sometime. And maybe a little Zuko if they're very kind...

Looks like next week will be a lighthearted break with the focus on Pro Bending, which feels right to me. Perhaps this will help Korra get some of her confidence back.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ratings for this episode:

Legend of Korra (Nickelodeon)
    -11 AM: 4.079 million viewers, 1.13 A18-49 (#1 on the network for the day)

Silverbolt is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think Amon wants to defeat Korra in the Avatar state, take away her bending/kill her then and you end the cycle.

I also think Amon is a bender himself. I think he hides his face, because his face is already fairly well known. I think he's Azula's son and the firebender that "killed" his family is of course Zuko.

Prior to Zuko siding with the Avatar the Fire Nation was well on its way to being the only Nation in the world, thus bringing their version of peace. After Zuko the Nation was pulled way back to probably its original boundaries in time, and the Fire Lord ended up bowing down to the Avatar.

As a son of Azula this child would likely be able to talk to his Grandfather, since I don't believe Zuko is that heartless, and also doesn't see Ozi as much of a threat.

Since I doubt Aang was busting out energy bending every chance he got, Ozi is likely the only other person in the world that had seen it. I also doubt that lion turtles are that abundant or easy to find.

Ozi wasn't a fool though so I could see him understanding in time what was done to him and perhaps figuring out how it was done.

Amon though knows how to energy bend, I can't see him putting on a show and counting on criminals to either back him (if he paid them off) or to be dumb enough to only try it once while on stage and never again (if chi blocked)

As for Asami I think she's nothing more then a naive girl who has had everything handed to her. I think in time Korra will grow to not trust non-benders and then she'll have issues with Asami hanging around with them.

I can't see her being evil from the start and intentionally targeting Mako because he has a in with the Avatar. If Korra was a fully realized Avatar I could see it, just not now.

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbolt View Post
    I think Amon wants to defeat Korra in the Avatar state, take away her bending/kill her then and you end the cycle.

I also think Amon is a bender himself. I think he hides his face, because his face is already fairly well known. I think he's Azula's son and the firebender that "killed" his family is of course Zuko.

Prior to Zuko siding with the Avatar the Fire Nation was well on its way to being the only Nation in the world, thus bringing their version of peace. After Zuko the Nation was pulled way back to probably its original boundaries in time, and the Fire Lord ended up bowing down to the Avatar.

As a son of Azula this child would likely be able to talk to his Grandfather, since I don't believe Zuko is that heartless, and also doesn't see Ozi as much of a threat.

Since I doubt Aang was busting out energy bending every chance he got, Ozi is likely the only other person in the world that had seen it. I also doubt that lion turtles are that abundant or easy to find.

Ozi wasn't a fool though so I could see him understanding in time what was done to him and perhaps figuring out how it was done.

Amon though knows how to energy bend, I can't see him putting on a show and counting on criminals to either back him (if he paid them off) or to be dumb enough to only try it once while on stage and never again (if chi blocked)
    I am thinking the samething when I first saw Amon and his mask, that he is hiding. Maybe he is Azula's son. I do think he is not fully telling of who he is and is true intension. But I doubt it, Amon and all these characters should stand on their own and not be related to the characters from the first series.

I do think if Azula has an influence on this series, I think it would be the current Fire Lord. I think she could be what Azula could have been if raised by a caring person and not Ozai. I hope she has all the possitive attirbutes that Azula had, fire bending prodegy, naturally gifted, interest and knowledge of world affairs, great leadership skills, but not evil and crazy. Pretty much be a way for Zuko to show Ozai how to raise children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hail-the-Whale View Post

Wow, now that's really weird, the third episode lost something like a million views but then the fourth went up like half a million.

I wonder what's the cause for the fluctuation.

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    originally posted by Hail-the-Whale

Hmm that's not really that bid a drop from the series premiere of 4.78 I believe, which is the highest regular series premiere for a Nick show right? And if it's for this episode it shows Korra is still doing really well. So then, WHY is Nickelodeon limiting all of it's reairings so much? Seriously it seems like Nick was going to repeat the show a good deal (on weekdays and even last Sunday) but then took it off for more Spongebob or something. I really have to ask why they are doing that: really you're suppose to heavily not only advertise a new show but also show it as well and don't make it a rare commodity, especially for those who may not of been able to see it Saturday morning and may want to catch it another time on Nick. I really want to know why the executives are treating the show like this and what is it going to take to get them to stop.

I wonder if it's possible to chi block someone when they're actually in the Avatar state as we've shown you can attack and kill someone with bending while in the Avatar state. Though that is a good guess though I think there could be more then that. Really too early in the game to know which again I like as it's different from the first show where you knew the baddies big goal while here it's more of an unknown.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This series continues to impress. Defintely don't have a problem with Mako hooking up with Asami, As I was never a fan of the KorraxMako pairing. Much prefer Korra with Bolin.

I'm definitely suspicious of that Tarlokk guy, I think actually could be Amon, his burned face argument could all be a lie, I didn't see Tarlokk and Amon in the same scene I recall.

While not as good as last weeks episode, I still enjoyed it.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Silverbolt is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanx54 View Post
    This series continues to impress. Defintely don't have a problem with Mako hooking up with Asami, As I was never a fan of the KorraxMako pairing. Much prefer Korra with Bolin.

I'm definitely suspicious of that Tarlokk guy, I think actually could be Amon, his burned face argument could all be a lie, I didn't see Tarlokk and Amon in the same scene I recall.

While not as good as last weeks episode, I still enjoyed it.
    What would Tarlokk gain from this arrangement? Unless he's just one of those that likes watching the world burn I can't see someone leading both sides into a fight.

I think he's just a typical slimey politician who just likes being important.

It does surprise me a little that one of the more level headed of that council didn't throw out the idea of offering Amon a seat on it at some point

Neo Yi is offline The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It starts off a lot slower than last episode, but it's really worth it in the end as the culminated buildup really works for the second half. I love Korra's fear and her refusal to acknowledge it. She's likely never had to endure something of this caliber and probably not one where she couldn't solve with her physical prowess. Bending is a big part of who she is and her key solution to a problem, thus Amon taking it away IS a scary prospect in retrospect because, well, how else will she handle any issues as a result? They really emphasized it when both Tarrlok and Amon spun circles around her. They both used manipulation and games of chess to lure her in knowing this is Korra's weakness. And it worked. Both of them trapped Korra and outsmarted her. I was holding my breath thinking this would be a two-parter when Korra was captured very late in the episode, but not only was it not, it somehow manages to still drive my anticipation. Oh, god! The flashback! What's happening? Is that Sokka vs Aang? How will this be relevant to the overall plot? Was that Korra's first Avatar spiritual experience, even if it wasn't on purpose?

This show! All my feelings.

Also, I assume this still won't break the Avatar cycle since she's alive when he eventually takes away her bending (but depending on how long Amon needs to fulfill his goals, he can either let her live or kill her since the next Avatar would only be a baby while he still does his thing and who knows how far he'll have gone by the time said baby grows up).

Asami is a gorgeous lady, but her interaction with Mako was too quick and too convenient, yet there's a sense of organic growth that I liked at the same time. I am suspicious that there is something more; Mako's problem was solved way too easily and conveniently that I can't help but raise an eyebrow. However, the idea of an evil/morally ambiguous Asami seems so obvious and I have much bigger faith in the creators than that. It would be more unexpected if Asami turned out to just be who she is; daughter of a rich man and all around sweetheart. Either way, I'm keeping an eye on her.

The only other thing I want to add is the animation, specifically the clothing designs. I must have counted ten to twelve or so different outfits on multiple characters. In just one episode. Animating numerous clothing is a challenge as it is, but the fact that Asami alone goes through four different outfits is a testimony to the care and attention this show is given. Kudos.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really good episode. Really loving this series so far. Nice to see Korra's fears explored a bit, and it was cool to see some of the old gaang as adults. One thing I like about Amon, is that he has a point. Especially with the raids Korra and her special squad were conducting on people just learning how to chi-block. Yeah, chi-blocking can hurt people, but so can bending, and I didn't her and her goons busting any bending schools.

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    Asami is a gorgeous lady, but her interaction with Mako was too quick and too convenient, yet there's a sense of organic growth that I liked at the same time. I am suspicious that there is something more; Mako's problem was solved way too easily and conveniently that I can't help but raise an eyebrow. However, the idea of an evil/morally ambiguous Asami seems so obvious and I have much bigger faith in the creators than that. It would be more unexpected if Asami turned out to just be who she is; daughter of a rich man and all around sweetheart. Either way, I'm keeping an eye on her.
    I agree, if Asami turned out to be a Equalist spy, it wouldn't be shocking if the audiance is expecting it. It would be what I call a front stab. It would be the opposite of Zuko's decession at the end of Book 2. I and most people were shocked when all the character development in Book 2 was seemingly thrown down the tolet.

What I might do, is while everyone paying attention to Asami, introduce another character, and have that character betrayl our heros. That is how you do good mysteries.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3