Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Looney Tunes Fan is offline Classic Cartoon Fan!!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by The Talon View Post
    You say that as if it's a bad thing.
    I ment to say it as if I was confused.
    BREAKING NEWS: The episode aired WITH IT'S ORIGINAL CREDITS!
    I love classic cartoons!!
    If you're a fan of classic cartoons, please visit The IAD Forums! It's the place to talk and chat about your favorite cartoons! Run by eutychus, this site has brought back a bunch of GAC members, and some toonzone members are over there too! Check it out today!: http://www.intanibase.com/forum/index.php

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woah, I didn't know Zolt was Kevin Michael Richardson too. O.o

Anyway, here's some credits stuff: two animation directors, thirteen key animators, and three in-between animators (Geumwoo, R&A, and Da Vinci).
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Rud
    Rud is online now Nine Arts Dragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone hasn't seen this yet?, cool stuff proving without a shadow of a doubt that Amon does not energy bend.

"I will turn your name into a synonym for weakness"

"Politics always takes vengeance on those that belittle it"

Mr. Hypocrite is offline Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that pic. When I saw Amon pulled that, I immediately noticed the parallels between Aang's original trick, and what Amon did. I'd forgotten about the light show however.

Whatever Amon did, it worked. Right now,he's a for real threat. All the equalists are, and if Korra and company want to stand a chance, they'll need to think outside the box.

Aang group never really learned to deal with Tylee's chi blocking, so finding a way to counter that would be a good start.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
    The Hypocrite Rises....

I.R Joey is offline Yep my face got stuck this way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So another good episode of the Legend of Korra. Really enjoyed this episode and I've got some theories on what it all means. First the good...

+ I'm really loving the dynamic between Korra, Mako and Bolin...when this love triangle starts to get intense the drama will feel so real. I especially love the way Korra and Mako are bonding.

+The mob angle is really interesting and helps make this show feel a bit diffrent then Avatar:TLA...in a good way.

+Zuko statue=Awesome.

+The more I learn about Amon and the Equalist the more I like them. They are villans who are so diffrent then the Fire Nation army that we got so familiar with in Avatar:TLA. Having Korra, a person who solves her problems with force, face a foe who she can't just beat up is going to create a good dynamic in the show.

Stuff I was less then keen on.

-I'm not buying the fact that lightning bending has become so widespread. I mean I buy metal bending becoming more popular because I can buy Toph teaching it to people, but lightning bending seemed so niche even among the Firebenders in Aang's time...and the people who we saw generating lightning (rather then redirecting it) were cold-hearted monsters like Azula and Ozai. What firebending master would be willing to teach that?

-My understanding was that one had to be pure of heart in order to take a person's bending away. How can Amon do it?

Notes.

*I have two theories about Amon...who I already find to be so much more nuianced then Ozai.

Theory 1: He is related to Mako and Bolin and the story he was telling about his family is related to the story that Mako was telling about his parents.

Theory 2: And my second theory... this is the one I find even more compelling...is that Amon is lying to the crowds and did not loose his face to a firebender but an old antagonist from the first series. Think about it...

A. He talks about getting a message from the spirits.

B. The spirits seem to be enemies of the Avatar.

C. He has lost his face.

Yup I'm thinking Koh the Face Stealer might be involved with this guy. Amon could very well be a member of some kind of Koh worshiping sect or cult that Koh is using as a proxy and a stepping stone into the physical world. Seriously, a spirit world invasion would be one of the few things that could match a fully realized avatar as far as force. This could also tie in with Korra needing to learn about the spiritual side of her role as avatar.Because if an invasion by Koh or other spirits is coming, and she's the bridge between the two worlds, she's going to have to be on her mojo game.

*I get the feeling that Amon's second in command could be a self-hating bender in the closet. I don't understand how he can channel that lightning into his weapons without firebending, Closeted benders among the equalist would be a fascinating idea to explore.

*I highly suspect that there is a seedy side to the competitive bending world that is connected to organized crime. If a turf war breaks out between the gangs I wouldn't be suprised if it starts to impact the sport. Maybe the water bender that quit the Fireferrets was told to throw the match.

Overall this episode get's another A from me. Hope the show stays this solid.
    Question the Answers.

Every time you decide not to go to my artist's blog an angel has its wings viciously mutilated. Do you really want that on your conscience?
    http://stephenpjames.blogspot.com/

FriendlyMushroom is online now ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My personal theory is that once electrical technology picked up, Zuko (who presumably mastered lightning at some point) stopped and thought, "You know, lightning could really be useful in advancing this. Why keep it to myself when it could be used to help people?" and started teaching it to others.

Also, the Lion Turtle says to Aang "To bend another's energy, your own spirit must be unbendable, or you will be corrupted and destroyed." He doesn't say anything about being pure of heart to energybend, just that you must be strong of spirit.
    I AM ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS FORM.

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My recap is in the queue with most of my thoughts on the episode, but a quick thought on advanced bending: I was surprised to see metal-bending common enough that an entire police force would use it, and even more surprised to see lightning bending common enough that you could get entire power-plants of people doing it. However, in some ways, that does mirror the way that a lot of Japanese and Okinawan martial arts systems became codified and systematized once the country opened its doors to the West. Techniques and teachings that were once transmitted within families or privately began to be shared among schools and taught more openly. I think the combined advances in printing, broadcast, and transportation techniques would make large-scale schools of bending students much more practical in Republic City than they were in the original series, in the same way that those combinations made it possible for people to learn Okinawan fighting techniques in Japan in the early 20th century when those same techniques were more limited and much less accessible only a generation before.

Most other thoughts will be in the recap.

EDIT: Oh, look, there's the recap, in which I talk about the one cliché element so far, my hopes for Amon's true identity, and Korra's fabulous hat when she's in disguise. Because that hat was fabulous.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Neo Yi is offline The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree on your theory about Amon, Ed; in that there is little conspiracy on any possible attachment he may have with the others cast members, past or present. I like the idea of Amon being his own person. Like Korra, he should be his own character with his own dilemmas and justifications instead of being connected to a particular person we know and love. I, too hope he won't go down the strictly "evil" path and instead strive for a greyer area.

"The Revelation" started off a bit slow, but it really picks up and gets into gear pretty darn fast. Only the third episode, but we get a really good idea on why Amon is pushing an Anti-Bending movement. I didn't even pick up on the parallels between him and Mako and Bolin until I read Ed's recap, but I definitely like the sound of it. Especially if it'll drawing comparison and contrast from one another in a similar vein on how honor was a high concept for both Aang and Zuko despite the two going in radically different paths at the time. His demonstration is creepy and threatening to the Bending ways and they don't mince it.

Just about the only cliche thing I also agree on is the romance. It's plainly obvious and while that isn't necessary a bad thing, it's standard and predictable. I suppose the only thing I can say is about the Korra/Mako love story is that it's at least setting itself up a lot better than I felt Aang and Katara did with theirs. Aang fell for Katara the moment he saw her, but Katara never gave an indication that she really liked him that way. There's a couple of episodes that hinted it (notably "The Fortuneteller" and "Cave of Two Lovers"), but it's so sedated from her end that by the time she expressed jealously when Aang was dancing with a Fire Nation girl in "The Headband", it came out of left field for me. If and when Mako and Korra end up together, I can proclaim they had better emphasis to back it up. Maybe. It's too early to call, but so far, the proof is in the pudding.

Also, yes, I do think that's a lovely hat Korra's wearing.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We should get this episode's ratings sometime today.
    What are your predictions? Do you think the numbers will be higher, due to increased awareness/word-of-mouth? Do you think they will be lower, because a second episode isn't as big an event as a premiere episode? Or do you think the ratings will be about the same?

firefoxprime is offline 90s = Golden Years
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Fan Beyond View Post
    Great episode! The animation is probably the best on television (with Young Justice right behind it), and the fight sequences are awesome! I love how the Equalist Chi-Blockers fight using unarmed Martial Arts similar to Ty Lee.
    I actually have to disagree with you. And here's why...

MOI Animation(korean animation co.) animates three awesome shows on NIck, Disney, and CN.

Nick: Legend of Korra
    CN: Young Justice
    Disney: Ultimate Spiderman

All series are epic(or soon will be), so I'd have to label their respective animation equal, seeing as how the animation is produced by the same company :^P
    Anime currently watching:

Hanasaku Iroha , Gad Guard, Birdy the Mighty, Eden of the East, Chromo Shelled Regios

Bunai is offline ShakeIT, BakeIT, BootyQuake IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree about Amon being a liar... dude just doesn't seem right.

c/p
    To me, Bolin is naturally carefree and fun to be around. While Sokka came off as Shaggy (from Scooby Doo) a majority of the time. I can admire Sokka's plans and wanting to protect his sister, but he wasn't really funny to me... amusing, but not a comedian. Bolin has confidence in his own skill, and is proud of it. Take away the bending he would likely be a boxer. And yes, his cuteness is a factor So far we haven't seen him pushing up on girls, instead they just seem to flock to him.

It is sad that while benders have grown to use the extended forms of bending, they haven't learned any techniques that would help against chi-blockers. They move like liquid! And it seems the only technique that can counter it is having an airbender's movement.
    -Believe It~! Eng Naruto / Manko...? Ebichu
    -Theres no yaoi going on with Vegeta.Brian Drummond
    -You know what pisses me off?The fact that people no longer need to be intelligent to operate a computer.StreamjumperGaia
    -Enjoy Hell, rule breakers. Or, whatever this alchemic afterlife is called.Vyse
    -
    And here comes Aizen with his heaving cleavage hench hoochies.trance2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ratings for this episode (Saturday 21st April):

Legend of Korra (Nickelodeon)
    -11 AM: 3.546 million viewers, 0.91 A18-49 (#1 on the network for the day)

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxprime View Post

MOI Animation(korean animation co.) animates three awesome shows on NIck, Disney, and CN.

All series are epic(or soon will be), so I'd have to label their respective animation equal, seeing as how the animation is produced by the same company :^P

As much as I absolutely love Young Justice and its animation, I'm giving Korra the upperhand because of the excellent animated choreography of the martial arts fighting, which flows flawlessly.

As for Ultimate Spider-Man, well, the animation, though not the best, is actually pretty good, but that's probably the only thing good I can say about that series. In my opinion, The Spectacular Spider-Man was 100 times better in every way, including the animation, which I believe was also done by MOI.

FriendlyMushroom is online now ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxprime View Post

Incorrect. MOI Animation worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender, but a different animation studio, Studio Mir, is working on The Legend of Korra.

And anyways, even if they were produced by the same studio, that wouldn't make the animation somehow equal. That's like saying every album a band releases or every movie a specific director directs are equally good.
    I AM ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS FORM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hail-the-Whale
    Ratings for this episode (Saturday 21st April):

Legend of Korra (Nickelodeon)
    -11 AM: 3.546 million viewers, 0.91 A18-49 (#1 on the network for the day)
    That's a little bit disappointing. Though to be honest I didn't watch this episode first run I had to record it. Unless they move these to Friday or Saturday nights (prime time) I don't think I'll watch these first run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laugh Anyway View Post
    That's a little bit disappointing. Though to be honest I didn't watch this episode first run I had to record it. Unless they move these to Friday or Saturday nights (prime time) I don't think I'll watch these first run.
    I expected a drop, since numbers normally drop a little after the premiere, but to be honest I didn't expect the drop to be quite that big.
    Still, it's only the second week. Hopefully Korra didn't come too late to win back some of Nick's viewers.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode was fantastic. Really like the fight choreography and martial arts in this show. The fight with the equalists vs. Korra and Mako was amazing. But, I felt like Korra relied a little too much on firebending for that fight. The other fight, Mako and Bolin vs. that equalist with the taser baton was awesome. And it makes sense that those two would get completely owned since they aren't trained fighters like the equalists are, especially since the equalists train specifically to fight benders. Oh and I really like the old timey recap.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan83 View Post
    Mako is Batman.
    Heh, I was thinking the exact same thing.

FFmax is offline Poke Maniac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This show is amazing, and I'm loving all the characters. Steven Blum really brings Amon to life and makes him feel like a true threat. Mako and Bolin kinda remind me of Zuko and Sokka respectively. And Korra is just plain badass.
    Fan of jrpgs, anime, and cartoons.

Mistah K88 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if Amon's ability actually has to do with a spiritual element. I can assume that as time has passed, many people didn't treat and value the spirits as they did in Aang's time. I'm thinking as more powerful bending skills (lightning and metal bending) have become modernized and easier to perform, the spiritual element of bending has been lost and put on the backburner, and Amon is simply blocking something in bending that would take the spiritual side of bending to use the ability anymore. Hmm...that didn't come out the way I wanted, but you understand where I'm coming from right?

The equalists have somewhat of a legit cause, with a good portion if not all of the gangs in Republic City are benders. I think of it as people who see a lot of gang members of the same race or something and instead of blaming the criminal actions on the individual people involved, they assume the whole race of people are all similar. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some self hating benders in the crowd who are too ashamed to use their abilites for good because of all the criminal behavior associated with it.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I finally got a chance to read your recap, Ed. I'd also prefer for Amon to be his own character and not connected to the original cast. I'm not even sure if I want him to be related to Mako and Bolin, one of the more frequent theories I've heard since this episode aired, even though there most likely is some connection between them. He just seems so threatening as he is right now that I don't know if I'd like it if he was connected to the original series. As for the romance, I agree that it's cliche, but I think it's kind of cute how painfully obvious they made those shipping moments to appeal to the shippers in the audience.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast