Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hero Ponchin is offline Hai Hai!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toon Zone Talkback - "Danny Phantom" Season 2, Part 1: Only a Ghost of a Chance

Like This Thread!
    This is the talkback thread for "Danny Phantom" Season 2, Part 1: Only a Ghost of a Chance.

In all honesty,if I had to choose my favorite contemporary Nicktoon, it would be Spongebob Squarepants (With Zim going in for a close second)
    "Motivation will always beat more talent."- Norman R. Augustine

"So does a hit-and run. Cleary, a wise man."-Turbo

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I really like this series. I haven't seen anything besides the Halloween and Christmas specials for the past couple of years, but I thought that those were fun. Though, I think I enjoyed the action more than the humor. I don't remember laughing that much during the series, so at the very least, I think that the action had more of an impact on me than the humor, especially in The Ultimate Enemy and Phantom Planet. The characters were okay for the most part. I haven't seen most of these episodes in a long time, so I'll have to rent or buy the DVD to get a better idea if I still feel the same about the series. It could have handled the concepts it had better, but I thought that Danny Phantom was an enjoyable light-hearted action series.

Neo Yi is offline Uhhhhhh...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ya know, Maxie actually stated a lot of the same (or similiar) points that I did on my review over at Bryan's site. I completely agree with a lot of what he said. The animation is stiff, awkward, and sometimes embarrassing to sit through (though I generally like the character designs). I adore the color schemes more; especially when a ghost arrives. The background starts sporting these surreal colors that are pure eye candy. The series IS bland and unoriginal, but I liked that they took what was already given to them and added a kind of charm to it (disagree on the dialogues, Maxie. Cheesy and uninspiring at times? Absolutely, but they don't sound robotic to me). And yep, totally agree on the iffy nature of both its attempt to balance humor and seriousness. When they have a good joke, it honestly does make me laugh, but the show often has a terrible habit of squeezing one in during a dramatic scene where it really does not - and should not - belong. It doesn't work and only undermines the tension.

But I love this show more than Maxie despite agreeing with nearly everything he wrote. I still think it's just a case of good timing on my end; when Danny Phantom aired, that's when I started to really pay attention to stories and characters. The show isn't even close to deep, but it was fairly consistent with its arcs and character development (until Season Three derailed it) and that's fine with me. Which is why I'm distressed this DVD release mixed the episodes in the wrong order. Half are filler-based and doesn't advance the overall arcs, so it's not that big an issue, but that means all the continuity-heavy episodes will be relegated to the upcoming second half set and that will cause some confusion. It's even more distressing because this is the exact same episode order as the previous Amazon.com DVD-Rs. I honestly expected better from Shout!Factory.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    15 Game Meme: Start your engines, it's Crash Teaaaaam Racing!

FriendlyMushroom is offline Knight of Sidonia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When this show was good, it could be really entertaining. Danny Phantom's zenith was the "Ultimate Enemy" one hour special, which was pretty dang dramatic and exciting. "Reign Storm" wasn't half bad either. Unfortunately, the most of the rest doesn't have too high a level of quality. DP was a show that was enjoyable to watch if it happened to be airing, but not something worth getting invested in, IMO.

ferrisjso is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is my favorite Nicktoon and i preordered the DVD months ago.While the episode mix up was dissapointing it's really not that bad compared to how much DP have suffered at the hands of Nick over the years.I truly believe this is the best Nicktoon because it had great characters a deep plot and drama that actually evolved and did'nt stay stagnant like many Nicktoons and cartoons in general do.The Ultimate Enemy is in IMO the greatest thing to ever air on Nick and Reign Storm and Reality Trip are'nt far behind.This review posted above is completly false.Not only did DP have beautiful animation and is probably the most original series ever made for Nick with the exception of Avatar.DP especially Season 2 should be an example of what a sucessful Nicktoon aspires to be at it's best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It can't be false if it's an opinion. Danny Phantom had its good parts, but it also had some pretty dreadful episodes (the hour-long special "Reality Trip" is a particularly notable offender). The animation I would say is an "acquired taste" that can take some getting used to if you're accustomed to anime-style or DCAU-style action animation. It doesn't make for very engaging action scenes. And original? Don't kid yourself. It's a superhero action/comedy show that plays the tropes of its genre very straight. It's entertaining, but not original. Unless you just consider it original by virtue of being an action show on Nickelodeon, which are few and far between.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I remember enjoying Reality Trip for the most part. The ending was a cheap cop-out and annoying, especially when it actually meant a lot more for Danny's parents to accept that he's part Ghost in that hour long episode than in the actual finale, but I remember having fun when I would rewatch it in spite of that. I agree that Danny Phantom is an entertaining show, but I wouldn't say that it's that great. It's certainly not original or ground breaking by any stretch of the imagination, but it's an overall fun show to watch. Maybe it's because of the effort that was put into the show or the basic concepts surrounding the series, but it was usually enjoyable to watch from what I remember.

ferrisjso is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well i guess i should re-phrase my words.What i meant by DP being original is not that it's premise was so diffrent from other shows in it's genre.As a matter of fact DP used a huge plethora of cliches that had been used many,MANY times in cartoons before.However it was the way that Danny Phantom was able to turn these cliches into something fresh and exciting that was what made it so original.That and unlike any plot-driven Nicktoon except Avatar this show got right into the continuity heavy storys and did alot of this in it's first season taking alot of risks early which very few shows don't.However as time went on this trait diminished as several of you cited Reality Trip before that's a perfect of example of the show using a cop-out which before that point it had'nt done very often.I personally like Reality Trip minus that one scene but completly understand those who don't because there reasoning totally makes sense.As far as the poor action scenes go well they started off poor by season 2 season 3 they were actually pretty good unfortunatly the action scenes started getting good as the overall plot quality started to decline in Season 3 but what can you do.As for the review sorry for forgetting to put IMO in front of my opinion on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You don't have to say "IMO"; in fact saying "IMO the review is completely false" would be rather ironic because you would be calling an opinion false...in your opinion. Calling an opinion false and simply disagreeing with it are not the same thing.

Also, you seem to be saying that Danny Phantom had good execution. Doing something fresh and exciting with a cliche just means you executed it really well, it doesn't mean you were original with it. A show can be just fine without being original.

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dang Maxie did you like invade my thoughts because I swear everything you wrote was pretty much my exact take on the show. DP was one of the most frustrating shows I ever saw on a routine basis back in the day. More frustrating because I think they wanted to make something unique but I don't think butch and crew had it in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast