Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Avatar:TLA, Rocko's, and Action League Now!

Neo Yi is offline Looking Good, Link!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Captain Travis, please explain your reasons behind your choice. Just listing shows does not add anything and is discouraged.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    Oogi. Created and Developed by NAUGHTY DOG! I review The Art of Naughty Dog.

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Angry Beavers: I am usually turned off completely by shows about brothers/sisters, regardless of age who bicker and fight with each other on a regular basis (hence my hatred of Kid Vs. Kat, The Buzz on Maggie, Arthur, and a whole other mess of especially Western fare, where this mostly comes from, that does it!!). This show is major change of pace from that noise - sure the two main characters may bicker and clash with each other a lot, but it's handled maturely and everything else about it for the most part is funny as well - from the music to the humor - it just works. Even if I haven't watched this show in a while, I know it still holds up well BECAUSE of what I've hopefully pointed out.

As Told By Ginger: This is what a teen angst show with going to school being the focus should be for the most part... That, and it was awesome seeing the rich kid (Courtney) actually wanting to befriend someone below her status like Ginger. That was some good writing there for the most part - though the friendship Ginger had with her actual friends, Macy, Dodie and Daren, was entertaining as well.

However, the best part of this show had to be Carl and Hoodsie for me - they brought comedic timing and balance to a show that was unfortunately lacking it - though the camaraderie between Ginger and Co. was strong, it wasn't as adventurous or entertaining as the trouble Carl and Hoodsie got into regularly (one of the things I admire Mordecai and Rigby's antics in Regular Show for, BTW, with Finn and Jake from Adventure Time in lesser cases... but that's off subject!) - these two are an example IMHO, of little sibling characters done right (not completely, though, but more than enough!).

Now, Doug did this stuff, too, but not as gracefully or as entertaining as in As Told By Ginger!
    Cold hard truth (that, and Doug was hurt badly by its bland/mediocre Disney series remake and movies made for it.).

Avatar - TLA: Excellent action and storytelling, extremely likable characters, and a crew behind it that gave two cents about what they're doing, even if they couldn't make something in the form of a war drama, which this show is, that little bit more. That, and the comedy fits strongly/firmly to balance everything out and give what could've been gung-ho fare in the wrong hands some humanity, which all good action shows remembered today have and had. Need I say more?

As for Legend of Korra, despite not being as epic as TLA is (I only say that because it doesn't seem like there's going to be a long-lasting and devastating war here like there was in TLA), it's awesome, too. So far - I only say that because even at 3 eps. in, it's got huge shoes to fill and a lot of people, including myself, to make sure it doesn't let down on virtually any level (even if that sounds impossible...).

Hey Arnold:
    This is how you do slice-of-life comedy right if you're using human characters, people. That's all I have to say beyond that. Though there are some episodes of it I don't like, they don't get in the way of my admiration and respect of these kids and their everyday adventures through an unnamed city of ceaseless/thankless work and uncertain futures for everyone.

Rocko's Modern Life: Just like Hey Arnold, but much better done and more like a cartoon should be. However, just like Arnold and co., that's honestly all I to say about it beyond that. Though considering I haven't watched it in a long time, it still holds up well, hence why I'd like to see more cartoons of equal or higher quality like it - Regular Show and Ugly Americans are good (enough) examples of the kind of carrying on the heroic legacy that Rocko has established for the 90's-00's that I'm getting at here.

Now , the most similar show to this I can think of at the moment, Catdog did try to do what Rocko did (perfectly and ingeniously) as well, and as much as I've come to discover I don't hate it as much as I felt I did (that was from dealing with certain shows nowhere near as entertain as Rocko was and still is, BTW), it can come off a bit too mean-spirited towards its focused characters for my tastes - then again, the main characters, especially Cat (and Dog), weren't angels themselves. To think about it - that actually helped this show out royally, now that I think about it, if only to show the viewer that - yeah, the real world is like this sometimes, but it is how YOU go about it that has the most effect...

Whether I revisit this show myself or not anytime soon, at least unlike most shows that seem to fall into this trap nowadays, Catdog gets respect and admiration from me, despite being nowhere as good as Rocko was, namely for not talking down/lecturing to me about pure noise!

Jimmy Neutron: Yes, I'm more than aware it's not as charming or witty as Dexter's Lab, nor is the animation, which is CGI, is not as top notch, either - I just do not care about this comparison... At all. I still like this show more!

Revisiting it on my own time, I admit to being more entertained by it that Dexter's Lab (which IMHO, that show has become worse and worse in terms of revisiting it, now that I see what's wrong with it growing up), IMHO, mainly because of its strong-enough levels of character development of its characters that did matter, and the camaraderie between Jimmy and co, like Ginger, was what kept me watching. Jimmy's friends weren't as smart as him - but they got along well, as well as were there when they needed to be for him in a pinch, and that's all that mattered.
    Also, unlike Dexter's Lab, Jimmy Neutron got better as it went along in terms of things I just pointed out and more...

The only thing holding back this show IMHO was Cindy Vortex's character. Now, unlike her friend Libby, who was okay for the most part (even though she hung around her, which made her somewhat trouble for Jimmy and his friends), Cindy just came off as that "annoying rival" no one wanted, especially Jimmy!

However, I'm glad she had her character better developed, mostly by the end of the series, anyway. To this day , thinking about it, I'm still surprised it was even possible Jimmy and her were beginning to have a couples' (mostly on/off) relationship as a result (even if that's taking things a bit too far), but still...

EL Tigre: DESPITE its unfortunately short shelf life, THIS is the kind of action/comedy that should have lasted longer than it did. And IMHO, it had potential to, as well! For a show about a kid who had to balance being a hero to show respect to his dad, and being a villain to show respect to his grandfather, despite all these differences between the family, this show handled it quite better than expected. That, and this show really felt like a cartoon, even with all the semi-annoying aspects of a teen-angst show about a kid and friends going to school and the ups-and-downs of teenage life that followed.

One more shout out I can think of goes to Ahhh! Real Monsters. I say this mainly because despite its ugliness - mainly the concept of monsters just being there to scare people which comes off being a bit too simplistic for me. This is, however, mostly considering there are now shows out there (regardless of where or whom they came from) that are doing this better than it that I have taken time out to see, despite some of them not being as remarkable or as well-animated as this is (Matt's Monsters, Jimmy Two-Shoes, Ruby Gloom, Beetlejuice (Animated), Addams Family (Animated) and Zombie Hotel all seem to come to mind, for me, anyway...Even if some of these examples bare similar concept to what Ahhh! Real Monsters is).

However, it's charm, wit, and comedic sense of awareness in a real world setting help it to hold up even today. Even if it is another show about someone, or something, in this case going to school and experiencing teenage life's ups-and-downs...

Before I go, I'll give T.U.F.F. Puppy (which is a current effort I'm following) an honorable mention, and not just because I think it's so bad, it's good - honestly, this to me is one of the best good bad cartoons I've seen in a while. Then again, I'm not a fan of Butch Hartman, so it may just be I'm having a hard time admitting I do genuinely like this show, despite all its faults (similar story with me when it comes to Man of Action and Generator Rex...).

And keep in mind, I haven't revisited all of these shows, but the positive feelings which I refuse to call nostalgia ( I think about this as me just knowing a good show when I see one) are there. Thank you.
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d7z3tj2.png

A better future for everyone (who loves their animation like family) lies in not invoking this triforce in any way, shape, or form....

MrBabySpencer is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well My Favorite Nicktoon Right Now Is The Legend of Korra, But Back Then, I Liked Spongebob (BEFORE THE MOVIE), Avatar: TLA, My Life As A Teenage Robot (BEFORE THE EPISODES THAT AIRED IN 2008), T.U.F.F Puppy, And Rocko's Modern Life, I Don't Have Much Poliential in The Nicktoons That Much, I'm More Of A Fan Of Cartoon Network And The Now-Defunct Kids'WB.

karengrant19 is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my favorite is no other than...

spongebob

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karengrant19 View Post
    my favorite is no other than...

spongebob
    Please explain your choices why this is your favorite show. Lack of reasoning is discouraged in this board.
    Stuff of Opinions:

karengrant19 is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    Please explain your choices why this is your favorite show. Lack of reasoning is discouraged in this board.
    Sorry if i'm in a hurry and forgot to explain why Spongebob is my favorite Nicktoon...

Well he is my favorite because he is so funny, very kind and most of all he is the best sea creature in Bikini Bottom who can make the popular krabby patty...^_^

And also he got his best friend Patrick Star...^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A toss up between Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. For all the reasons everyone else has said.

TimmyFan1967 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd have to say that....

my favorite nicktoon is The Fairly OddParents, in particular the first three seasons. Jimmy Neutron is second, Danny Phantom third, and Wayside fourth.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyFan1967 View Post
    my favorite nicktoon is The Fairly OddParents, in particular the first three seasons. Jimmy Neutron is second, Danny Phantom third, and Wayside fourth.
    Can you tell us why?

Guys, remember, do not make lists. Explain your reasons.
    Stuff of Opinions:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast