Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: Should Nickelodeon go 24/7 and move Nick@Nite's programming to TV Land?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 44.44%
  • No

3 33.33%
  • Maybe

2 22.22%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should Nickelodeon go 24/7 and move Nick@Nite's programming to TV Land?

Like This Thread!

"Hoppy" Easter, everyone.

Anyways, I just had learned that Nickelodeon has been losing ratings since September, and Disney Channel is now #1.

Nick@Nite is one of the major reasons why Nick is losing ratings. Nick@Nite is running on the weekdays from 8PM to 7AM. Most children usually sleep around 9 or 10PM on the school days, while most preteens and teens usually stay up all night on a Friday.

Since I want to help approve Nick, I had an idea of Nick going 24/7. I'll help improve ratings. Also, I think, even though we have "The 90s Are All That" block, we can still throw on some classics like Rocko's Modern Life, All That, Invader Zim and Catscratch, etc., for those who don't have digital cable.

As of Nick@Nite, it could be moved into TV Land and be renamed as TV Land Prime (the title has been used before back in 2008).

So what do you think? So Nick broadcast around the clock or broadcast 13 to 16 hours a day?

Go visit my new blog, Cartoon Central for reviews, games, fun and more!

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure if you asked them, Viacom would probably say that they wouldn't want Nickelodeon running 24 hours a day. Nick is and always has been a children's channel, and there wouldn't be much point in running Nick proper all through the night when its' target audience wouldn't be awake to see it.

(If Nick's ratings have been slipping lately, they don't need to expand their running time, they need to be coming up with better, more creative and diverse programming. Beyond the odd SpongeBob episode, I haven't had any reason nor desire to watch anything on Nick in a good while, though I realize that I'm light years beyond Nick's target demo.)

I do agree, however, that Nick @ Nite doesn't really need to exist on Nick proper as is since it's basically a mirror image of TV Land. If Viacom were to move the N@N programming over to TV Land, here's what I would put in its' place:

I'd keep the Nick @ Nite name; the nighttime block doesn't have to go away just because the programming would change. I'd have N@N start at 9PM and switch back to Nick proper at 7AM, except on weekends when Nick proper would be expanded to end at 10PM when kids wouldn't have to get up early the next morning. As for what this "new" N@N would play, if anybody remembers the former N@N shows On the Television, Mad Movies with the LA Connection and Turkey Television, I would fill N@N with alternative comedies similar to those and possibly mix that with animated shows akin to Liquid Television and Daria and unconventional sitcoms like The New Adventures of Beans Baxter, the FOX live-action version of The Tick and Parker Lewis Can't Lose (heck, while we're at it Viacom could revive their former young adult-skewing game shows like Remote Control and Beat the Geeks on this block as well) as sort of a Comedy Central/Adult Swim lite, and on Friday and/or Saturday nights I'd toss in a Nick Rewind style block of former Nick shows, both live-action and animated during N@N's first 1 or 2 hours. Just rotate the lineup every couple of months to keep viewers interested since there wouldn't be any new episodes coming down the pike.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 04-09-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

tommy21 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I understand that Nick is a children's channel but having all of those toddler-aged shows doesn't make much sense since they have Nickjr. Nick@Nite should be moved to 10pm. As you guys said before since it's a children's channel why would they be airing shows that are targeted at teens and young adults during Nick@Nite?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy21 View Post
    I understand that Nick is a children's channel but having all of those toddler-aged shows doesn't make much sense since they have Nickjr. Nick@Nite should be moved to 10pm. As you guys said before since it's a children's channel why would they be airing shows that are targeted at teens and young adults during Nick@Nite?
    You said this before, but which "toddler-aged shows" are you referring to? If you mean the Nick Jr. block itself, that's not going anywhere because the block is making too much money and bringing in too high ratings for Nick proper to scrap it. And yes, there's a Nick Jr. channel now, but it's a digital extra channel which is still relatively new, so not everybody gets it, unlike Nick proper which is a long-established basic cable station in a ton of homes and watched by millions of viewers. Taking Nick Jr. off of Nick would be a terrible move from a business standpoint.

As for why would Nick be airing shows that are targeted at teens and young adults during Nick@Nite, it's because kids go to bed after a certain hour, so there's not a whole lot of point in running children's programming at night when the kids whom these shows are aimed at wouldn't be up to see them. Not to mention that Viacom is competeing head-on with Adult Swim for the coveted 18-34 year old demographic, and they're not going to secure that audience by airing kids' shows at night. Nick could easily just sign off at 8PM like they did when they shared air space with ARTS (later to become A&E after it split from Nick to become its' own channel), but they've been running N@N for over a decade now and they'd lose ratings if they did that, so they might as well air shows suitable for an older audience without getting too raunchy like Adult Swim and its' ilk. Let's not forget that the original oldies-centric N@N was also aimed at adults.

And before anyone brings up TeeNick, again, that's a digital bonus channel that not everyone receives.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 04-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Starbro is right, for those who don't have digital cable, kiddies can watch preschool shows but only in the morning. Nick Jr. is a digital cable channel. Besides, what else Nick is supposed to run during school hours? Not classics, of course.

Back on topic, I would run Nickelodeon 24/7 because N@N has its own basic cable network called TV Land. For those who don't have Nicktoons, TeenNick or/and Nick Jr., this is why Nick should be 24/7.

Sure, not much kids are awake during graveyard hours, but hey, putting classics, like Angry Beavers, on will make kids wake up. That'll bring up more ratings.

Nickelodeon Canada runs 24/7. That's the plan I'm expecting for our Nickelodeon. Run newer shows like iCarly and SpongeBob in thay daytime and end the day with defunct shows like Drake and Josh and Hey Arnold!.

Meanwhile, TV Land can start the day with the oldies such as The Andy Griffith Show and Bewitched and end the day and start the night with its and N@N's original comedies.

Go visit my new blog, Cartoon Central for reviews, games, fun and more!

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We already have quite a few 24/7 Nick networks. We have Nicktoons (the closest thing you can get to Nickelodeon minus @Nite), Noggin (Nick Jr. 24/7), The N (TeenNICK 24/7), etc. If you got rid of Nick@Nite, the channel would lose a great chunk of its diverse programming.

Also, Nickelodeon could sure use their current competition against Adult Swim. If they took out @Nite, AS would suck up those 18-34 ratings like a vacuum.

ToonsLover is offline Lover of Toons
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It might actually be a good idea to move The '90s Are All That to Nick Proper. I don't know if it's really that important what channel it airs on, but it would be available in more homes and probably get better ratings than what's airing on Nick @ Nite. They could always make it an all-night block, too.

Right now, most of the programming airing on Nick @ Nite is also airing at TV Land at the exact same time. I also agree that Nick @ Nite starts way too early, moving it to 10 PM on weekdays would make a lot more sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How soon Nick@Nite should start would depend on the type of programming it would carry. As it is now, it's basically Mini TV Land, nothing particularly edgy or censor-worthy on there, so 8PM is a suitable starting time. If Nick decided to push the envelope with its' nighttime shows (like, say, if they starting picking up more shows like Glenn Martin, DDS), then N@N should start later.

MegaJ is offline Like a spring breeze.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The only thing I'm for at this point is Nickelodeon taking back 8-10pm. And then Nick@Nite needs a retooling.
    YOUR CHANNEL IS WACK AND WILL NEVER BEAT NICK OR DISNEY
    Get the message CN?

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like Nick, Jr. & TeenNick, Nicktoons is not as readily available in most areas. For example, Time Warner Cable in my district hasn't added Nicktoons yet.

The 90s are All That block would be good, except for one thing. It's just, what, 2-3 hours as it's presently constituted? TeenNick, last I knew, shares the rights to Saved by the Bell w/TBS. If they can grab the rest of the Peter Engel-NBC library (i.e. California Dreams) and find appropriate places for them, great.

We can dream, but that doesn't mean it's going to be fulfilled.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well you could argue since Disney is 24/7 and king of total viewers (total day) and kids that going 24/7 might be in Nick's best interests. However it should seem evident that Disney does not beat Nick because of it's over night hours. It most surely comes down to Nick having no weeknight prime time. Getting 8-9 back is essential. Getting 9-10 back might also be worth trying.

I'd like to see The 90s Are All That on NAN but that wont beat Family Guy, American Dad or Robot Chicken on Adult Swim. But you know what might? Futurama and Beavis and Butthead. They would at least put up a good fight. And before anyone says those shows already have networks, Family Guy proves three networks can run the same show at different times and people will still keep watching.

NAN is finally getting more original programming but it has largely been acquisitions. With that in mind, I wonder if they'd be willing to try alternative comedy acquisitions as StarBro suggested and perhaps even anime and not just action anime either.

If you want to compete with AS you need a mix of mainstream and non-mainstream programming and some major network hits. Viacom has plenty of programming they could try out on an edgier NAN but imagine if in a few years they could grab The Simpsons. In the mean time even if they keep a bunch of the current NAN line-up I suggest starting it at 9 or 10 and airing Futurama at 11 or midnight. Give Nick some weekday prime time hours and you'll see some ratings growth against Disney and CN.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

MegaJ is offline Like a spring breeze.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Degrassi needs to get it's butt on the main Nickelodeon channel already. From 10-12am, it would crush. I suppose it would step on TeenNick's shoes too much, but with Nick@Nite already stepping into soap style programming, it would be the perfect companion.

Also, I would like to see Daria again, and yeah Beavis and Butthead can be shared with MTV.
    Get the message CN?