Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario

The second episode did have better pacing and I think I liked it more than the first one, if only because of how hilariously awesome Tenzin was. I would definitely like to see some flashback with Tenzin and Aang, if only to see how different they were from each other. Seeing Korra struggle so much with airbending was interesting, especially when she could get the other elements at such a young age. The concept of pro-bending was kind of interesting, but I wasn't as engaged with them as I thought I would. Maybe it will click for me after seeing more matches. I thought that Bolin was pretty fun and I'm interested in Mako's character. He looks a lot like Zuko, which might not be intentional beyond the fact that he's named after Iroh's original voice actor, but it caught my attention. I'm personally hoping that they won't go through a love triangle, mainly because I don't think that Bolin would be romantically interested in Korra. His interactions with her were more flirtatious than anything else. Though, maybe future episodes will make that more plausible for me.
    People usually flirt with people they're romantically interested in though.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    People usually flirt with people they're romantically interested in though.
    That's true, but I saw it more as Bolin flirting with someone he thought was one of his fans or that he could impress her with his pro-bending skills than being romantically interested in Korra at that particular moment.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario

That's true, but I saw it more as Bolin flirting with someone he thought was one of his fans or that he could impress her with his pro-bending skills than being romantically interested in Korra at that particular moment.
    Yeah but guys don't usually try to impress and flirt with girls they aren't attracted to. But then again he could be like that with everybody.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Yeah but guys don't usually try to impress and flirt with girls they aren't attracted to. But then again he could be like that with everybody.
    I did get the impression that he's like that with every girl he meets given Mako's comment about bringing another fangirl to their locker room, or something along those lines.

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Short version: not once during Legend of Korra did I think, "Oh, that's just like something we saw in Avatar." While I didn't get my wish for a series set at least a generation or two before or after the original series, the net effect is just about the same, and this show is already well on its way to outdistancing the original show in the same way the original show outdistanced a lot of its competition at the time.

Loved the music and the Shanghai-inspired setting of Republic City. The music reminded me a lot of the best work Yoko Kanno did on Cowboy Bebop, in that it's eclectic and jazzy and similar to things I know while being like nothing else I've ever heard before.

I love Korra and the extremely teenager-y things she does. She's reacting very believably as a young person with prodigious natural talents who is suddenly confronted with something really difficult, especially when it's something where those natural talents are actually working against her. Also got a kick out of Tenzin's dismissal of pro-bending (which reflects the opinion a lot of longtime martial artists have of sport martial arts and things like the MMA), but the way he came around (at least a little) once he saw it was a better vehicle for Korra to learn some things. It's a funny thing -- he's right that she only really responds to direct force (something also reinforced by her skill at firebending, which should have been problematic for her since it's the opposing element of water). He just didn't recognize that pro-bending was the best way to give her that direct force to confront for the purposes of her airbending training. One of the basic concepts of Buddhist thought is that you should tailor the teachings for the student for best results, so it's a blast to see that concept being expressed through a plot element in the story. I also totally didn't see it coming, but it was definitely one of those moments where I felt that I could have foreseen that if I had only been a little bit smarter. It was all laid out for us during the episode.

I loved J.K. Simmons as Tenzin, too. Glad he looks like he's going to be a major player in the series.

I loved the way that the White Lotus Society was all frowning after Korra's firebending test EXCEPT Katara, who looked like she had an amused smile on her face. For that matter, I love a whole ton of the little throwaway character animation bits throughout both episodes -- they must have really broke open the piggy bank to pay for the animation on this show, but it shows in every frame.

Want more. Much more. Now, please . Best compliment I can possibly pay to a show.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Mistah K88 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
    Spoiler:
    That's so weird that he died at 66, wasn't his friend Mooky over 100, why did they have him die so young........

Does Aang's death age need to be spoilered? I thought it was all common knowledge by now.

I could understand the reasoning they had behind Aang dying earlier on in his senior citizen life...but what I don't understand is throwing everyone else but Katara under death's bus as well... I'm sure that Korra will meet new people as this is her story and we don't necessarily need to see everyone from Aang's past again. However, I am a little curious to know where the key players are now without the "they all died" cop out. For myself they don't necessarily need to be seen again, but a throwaway line on where they are now is enough. I'm satisfied about the info they gave us about Toph. If Zuko and Mai are still Firelord and Firelady, then that would really be all I need on them. For all we know, Korra might remain in Republic City and won't go exploring the world like Aang did with his crew.

Aldrius is offline Arrogant Instigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, Katara's 85. That's pretty old for ALL her friends and relatives to be alive. (The ones that are the same age.) She also said 'many of her friends' are dead. Which means there's some that are potentially still alive.

I imagine Zuko's gone. Aang and Sokka are obviously gone. I'm thinking Suki is gone. I'm not sure about Toph. Same with Azula. I think really outside of Katara the only people who have a decent chance to still be living are Toph and Azula. Anyway, I think confirming who's alive and who's dead in the first couple of episodes would be a disservice to the new cast they're trying to establish.

There's time to find out what happened to Toph, Zuko, etc. when we find out what's actually going on in the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom.

"You still race in the games, do you... guardian?.. For what!? Putting a show on for the masses are we? The young pretender!? To mend and defend... who will defend you the next time we meet!? Have your fun boy... while you can." - Megabyte

"They took everything, Bruce. My dad, my life... you. I'm not saying it's right or even sane... but it's all I have left. So either help me or get out of the way!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    Well, Katara's 85. That's pretty old for ALL her friends and relatives to be alive. (The ones that are the same age.) She also said 'many of her friends' are dead. Which means there's some that are potentially still alive.

I imagine Zuko's gone. Aang and Sokka are obviously gone. I'm thinking Suki is gone. I'm not sure about Toph. Same with Azula. I think really outside of Katara the only people who have a decent chance to still be living are Toph and Azula. Anyway, I think confirming who's alive and who's dead in the first couple of episodes would be a disservice to the new cast they're trying to establish.

There's time to find out what happened to Toph, Zuko, etc. when we find out what's actually going on in the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom.
    We have seen people in the Avatar universe living over one hundred years old. That may not be too common, but I always took that as a sign that the people here tend to have longer lives. That's why I was shocked that the first episode implied that Katara was the only character from the original series left. I hope that Zuko is still around, if only to see how he has handled being the Firelord in this new age, and it would be weird to see Azula outlive Zuko given her state at the end of the series. Though, I agree that confirming who's alive or dead right off the bat would hurt the new cast they're trying to establish in these couple of episodes. We'll find out more about what happened to the other characters later on, hopefully after the new cast get more time to shine and develop.

Friendly Mushroom is offline Good! I guess...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    We'll find out more about what happened to the other characters later on, hopefully after the new cast get more time to shine and develop.
    Aw man, you reminded me of Zuko's mom. I'm dying to know what happened to her!!! We could of if Iki didn't intterupt Katara.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendly Mushroom View Post
    Aw man, you reminded me of Zuko's mom. I'm dying to know what happened to her!!! We could of if Iki didn't intterupt Katara.
    It would have been kind of weird to hear about what happened to Zuko's Mom in the premiere for this new series. I actually saw that interruption coming a mile away, so it didn't bother me too much and I thought it was pretty funny to be honest. The writers certainly knew that fans were still wanting to hear about that story. Besides that, I'd much rather see the story about Zuko's Mom unfold in its own special or in a comic. They needed to establish the new characters and new world in these two episodes, instead of throwing out that story within the first ten minues of the first episode, and I think that they did a great job in that regard.

Amayirot Akago is offline Akaringo
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know what happened to Zuko's mom:
    http://booter-freak.deviantart.com/a...10708423&qo=17

Streaming games regularly on Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/amayirot_akago

Check out my weekly Legend Of Korra recaps at my blog, Ramblings Of A Dutch Avatard!

DjJuice5 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    We have seen people in the Avatar universe living over one hundred years old. That may not be too common, but I always took that as a sign that the people here tend to have longer lives. That's why I was shocked that the first episode implied that Katara was the only character from the original series left. I hope that Zuko is still around, if only to see how he has handled being the Firelord in this new age, and it would be weird to see Azula outlive Zuko given her state at the end of the series. Though, I agree that confirming who's alive or dead right off the bat would hurt the new cast they're trying to establish in these couple of episodes. We'll find out more about what happened to the other characters later on, hopefully after the new cast get more time to shine and develop.
    I agree.It was smart of Mike and Bryan to make us wait because it's important to establish the new world and characters first. I remember reading in a interview that they said each season or "book" in this series will have a different story and conflict unlike A:TLA, which had an overarching plot spanning three seasons. That means this first season will be about the anti bending conflict and Korra learning more about the spiritual side of bending. We don't know what will happen for the second season. I'm confident that down the line we'll see Korra talk with adult Aang in the spirit world and we'll find out more about the fate of the old characters. It wouldn't suprise me if there was a flashback episode in the second season

Aldrius is offline Arrogant Instigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope that Zuko is still around, if only to see how he has handled being the Firelord in this new age, and it would be weird to see Azula outlive Zuko given her state at the end of the series.
    I'd like to see what happened with Zuko's reign, but I hope he's not still alive.

And eh, I don't see why Azula couldn't outlive Zuko just because she went crazy. For me, I think it would just be more dramatic/interesting to see what Azula's up to now than it would be to see what Zuko is up to now. Plus there'd be a nice parallel with Zuko, Toph and Aang's sons all being important characters. (And if Kya gets involved at any point in the story more, then Katara's daughter as well.)

I'm not totally against the idea, my first thought when I found out about the series was "what is Zuko up to?". And I admit he's probably one of the more likely characters to appear in the flesh. I just think having a character who'd be that friendly with Korra in that powerful a position is problematic dramatically. And there's lots of things that could be fixed just by calling up Zuko if he is Fire Lord.

When we actually get around to the plot that is, I'm hoping things progress beyond 'Korra wants to be a pro-bender and isn't very good at airbending, Tenzin disapproves'. That's good for now of course, and that's an oversimplification but I do hope it develops into something more on the scale of the war we got in the original series.

It wouldn't suprise me if there was a flashback episode in the second season
    It wouldn't surprise me if there were some flashbacks towards the end of the first season. I doubt we'll have to wait until season 2 to see Korra start to interact with Aang, Roku and Kyoshi.

"You still race in the games, do you... guardian?.. For what!? Putting a show on for the masses are we? The young pretender!? To mend and defend... who will defend you the next time we meet!? Have your fun boy... while you can." - Megabyte

"They took everything, Bruce. My dad, my life... you. I'm not saying it's right or even sane... but it's all I have left. So either help me or get out of the way!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DjJuice5 View Post
    I'm confident that down the line we'll see Korra talk with adult Aang in the spirit world and we'll find out more about the fate of the old characters. It wouldn't suprise me if there was a flashback episode in the second season
    I could easily see them having some flashbacks whenever Korra talks to adult Aang in the Spirit World. Though, I also think that we'll see something like somewhere in the first season, most likely near its finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius
    I'd like to see what happened with Zuko's reign, but I hope he's not still alive.

And eh, I don't see why Azula couldn't outlive Zuko just because she went crazy. For me, I think it would just be more dramatic/interesting to see what Azula's up to now than it would be to see what Zuko is up to now. Plus there'd be a nice parallel with Zuko, Toph and Aang's sons all being important characters. (And if Kya gets involved at any point in the story more, then Katara's daughter as well.)
    While it would be more dramatic to see what Azula is doing, I'd personally prefer that she doesn't outlive her brother. I guess that would have been more accurate to mention earlier. I'm probably biased since Zuko is my favorite character from the original series, so I was hoping that he would still be around for a cameo or two in Korra. That would be a nice parallel with Zuko, Toph and Aang's children being important characters.

I'm not totally against the idea, my first thought when I found out about the series was "what is Zuko up to?". And I admit he's probably one of the more likely characters to appear in the flesh. I just think having a character who'd be that friendly with Korra in that powerful a position is problematic dramatically. And there's lots of things that could be fixed just by calling up Zuko if he is Fire Lord.
    I'm not sure if they could solve a lot of things by calling up Zuko. We don't know how much control/power the Fire Nation has in this new world, or even just in Republic City, so if Zuko is still the Fire Lord, he may not have the authority to prevent or solve a lot of problems.

When we actually get around to the plot that is, I'm hoping things progress beyond 'Korra wants to be a pro-bender and isn't very good at airbending, Tenzin disapproves'. That's good for now of course, and that's an oversimplification but I do hope it develops into something more on the scale of the war we got in the original series.
    I'm sure that they'll have a more serious and intense conflict for the series as the season progresses. The promos I've seen leave the impression than the revolution will become pretty intense for Korra and her friends.

Maxie Zeus is offline Upside Down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hypeathon is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just going to put this out there. Every time I think of Bolin, it's really hard for me to not think of Miura from Bakuman. I mean, the designs are not exact, but there is some similarity between them.

Vaporleaf is offline POed panda fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've only seen the first episode, but it's looking good and I'm eager for more. I'm not crazy about the somewhat "Adult Swim anime" feel and I wasn't sure about the jazzy, more technological advanced setting, but I think I've warmed up to it. And the music is very good, better than the old series!

I'm kinda having a hard time seeing Korra as the Avatar though; I guess Aang was such an iconic image with the "bald kid with an arrow" look, but Korra just looks like Katara with more muscle. Her personality is OK though. She's like a combination of Katara, Toph, and Sokka.

Dub C is offline Just a animation lovin' dude
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really liked the start to Korra. Two episodes in and I already like the gal. Tough, ready to satisfy her curiousity of the world, out to do the right thing, yet despite her training and status, she still has her own shortcomings that makes her endearing. I know it's early, but I hope this can be a sign that female leads in action show CAN work thru Korra.

Anyways, it's nice that the first two episodes pretty much were more focused on setting the audience up for what kind of new world this is 70 years later, rather than just throw us straight into the main plot. Pro Bending also looked so fun. Somehow I get the feeling we won't be seeing to much more of it later though.

I enjoyed seeing Katara and that Toph's daughter is the head of the "Police" in Republic City. Tenzen I liked as well. Anyways, I'm just writing what's coming to mind right now. Maybe I'll post again after rewatching it and after had more time to digest it. But so far, I like what I see.
    What has my attention in Animation RIGHT NOW:
    Hunter X Hunter (2011), One Piece, The Legend of Korra, TMNT (2012), Teen Titans Go!, Magi 2, Kill la Kill, A Certain Scientific Railgun

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So far... So awesome!

I was worried this series wouldn't compare to its amazing predecessor, but after watching these first two episodes, I can see that the producers didn't skip a beat; Other than the gap in time and the introduction of all new characters, this series convincing continues as if it's the very same series we left off with. Like Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra has the same great level of design, animation, writing, direction, voice acting, music score, martial arts choreography, action and humor. Let's just say, I'm totally satisfied. I can't wait to watch more!

Jzpierce is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The animation is superb, really making it one to stand out. I like how there isn't an overuse of CGi as well.

So far I'm excited, cannot wait for next week's episode.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast