Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Alec is offline Webmaster, DC/DXD Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    Third paragraph (not counting the italized intro), last sentence. The one in-between the spaces. It's just above the picture of Korra ready to lay the smackdown.
    Not sure how I completely missed that sentence . Makes a lot more sense now and I did not notice that either. Great eye for detail Ed.
    Last edited by Alec; 04-19-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Ed Liu is offline Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks, guys.

The recap for episode 2, "A Leaf in the Wind" is now live, wherein I find something that looks suspiciously like a unifying theme for the past 2 episodes and possibly the whole season. Some of the content in there also owes a bit to Neo Yi's review earlier where she pointed out how Tenzin and Korra's resolution manages to show that they're both wrong without making either one Wrong.

One thing that didn't make it in was the fact that a character's age is no indication on which side they'll end up on in the Old vs. New divide. Katara is one of the oldest characters we've seen so far, but she's squarely on the "New" side when she tells Korra to go seek out her own destiny, against Tenzin's wishes. Korra is one of the youngest characters, but she comes off as an old-world throwback with her tribal garb and national colors in comparison to everyone who's not Tenzin in Republic City. The only plot point that doesn't look like it'll be covered by the Old vs. New theme would be the angsty teen romance stuff between Korra and Mako (they can't stand each other...of course they're going to end up together).
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
    -- Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

Neo Yi is offline Looking Good, Link!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    Some of the content in there also owes a bit to Neo Yi's review earlier where she pointed out how Tenzin and Korra's resolution manages to show that they're both wrong without making either one Wrong.
    Aww, shucks, Ed.

One thing that didn't make it in was the fact that a character's age is no indication on which side they'll end up on in the Old vs. New divide. Katara is one of the oldest characters we've seen so far, but she's squarely on the "New" side when she tells Korra to go seek out her own destiny, against Tenzin's wishes. Korra is one of the youngest characters, but she comes off as an old-world throwback with her tribal garb and national colors in comparison to everyone who's not Tenzin in Republic City. The only plot point that doesn't look like it'll be covered by the Old vs. New theme would be the angsty teen romance stuff between Korra and Mako (they can't stand each other...of course they're going to end up together).
    THIS I didn't see (both Katara and the general concept of Old. vs New) and I think it's a brilliant outlook for the episode. When I viewed the episode, I was thinking on a more straightforward term with just the whole Tradtional Tenzin vs. Modern Korra deal. Nothing more and certainly not to the extension you pointed out, so it was a neat fridge brilliance to read.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    15 Game Meme: Day 3. Chrono Trigger is the best time traveling video game ever. Ever.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Those were great recaps, Ed. I liked the points you made about the Old vs. New theme throughout both episodes. I saw that mostly through Korra's interactions with Tenzin, but I can see how that could also be shown through Korra's traditional Water tribe outfit compared to the clothes for the majority of people in Republic City as well. I thought it was refreshing that they didn't have the older concepts as completely outdated, which tends to happen with the old vs. new conflict. Both Korra and Tenzin have valid points. Korra needs to learn patience and realize that there's more to being the Avatar than just fighting and Tenzin needs to be a bit more open-minded in regards to how to teach Korra and find a way to teach her Airbending that matches more with her personality. Moving like an Airbender during that pro-bending match was a nice way to show that the two concepts need to merge together, instead of choosing one over the other, and apologizing to each other shows that they both need to learn from each other.

I thought that you brought up a really good point about how Korra's frustration over being unable to learn Airbending captures how a person, who usually has little to no problems in a certain field, meets a challenge for the first time. It makes her feel like a more realistic character in a sense. She had such an easy time with the other elements that she doesn't know how to really deal with having to struggle just the basics for once.

I saw the episodes for the third time tonight and I just loved every minute. I don't know if the animation will be that good for the whole series. A part of me thinks that they just got a huge budge for the premiere, but it's still impressive with how well it looks. I'm so looking forward to seeing the new episode tomorrow morning.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll say it upfront, I've watched a couple of episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I never got into it, not that it was a bad show, my brother was a fan of the show. ; I was just focusing my attention on other tv shows at the time; after watching "Welcome to Republic City"- Oh boy did I miss out. I really liked Korra here- the writers created a great heroine, a great switch up for an action show. Like I said, I know about the setting of ATLA, but boy did the world change. They had blimps, microphones, radios, and even cars! I was a bit suprised.

Aang's death effect on the residents of the Republic City was well handled. The police were particularly hostile.

But Jesus, Amon, that was just total BA. Steve Blum voicing him is just icing on the cake. His character is interesting from the get-go. I also really like his design.

ATLA is on Netflix currently, but this show makes me want to watch the original series, and Legend of Korra at the same time.

I really liked this episode.

Being on Korra!
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanx54
    I'll say it upfront, I've watched a couple of episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I never got into it, not that it was a bad show, my brother was a fan of the show. ; I was just focusing my attention on other tv shows at the time; after watching "Welcome to Republic City"- Oh boy did I miss out. I really liked Korra here- the writers created a great heroine, a great switch up for an action show. Like I said, I know about the setting of ATLA, but boy did the world change. They had blimps, microphones, radios, and even cars! I was a bit suprised.
    They had blimps and war balloons in the ATLA. And yeah I recommend ATLA, it starts off a little slow but it really picks up halfway through the first season, and the second season is pure epicness.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it
    They had blimps and war balloons in the ATLA. And yeah I recommend ATLA, it starts off a little slow but it really picks up halfway through the first season, and the second season is pure epicness.
    Yeah I'm gonna check out ATLA. I'm a Netflix subscriber, so I'm gonna watch all 3 seasons there. Definitely checking it out.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213