Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Kuromi_Star is offline Neko mimi mode
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    The daughter who's a waterbender looks like Katara, so it makes sense that Tenzin looks like Aang, as the only airbender, I suppose

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tealeaf View Post
    Though Avatar doesn't seem too strict about pronounciations... wasn't "Aang" properly suppose to be pronounced "Ong" like the film?
    Nope seeing as I don`t think there is a proper way to say Aang. Someone else explained it better than I can( I think it was Ed Liu ) but I think the long and short was there is no Aang in chinese so him being pronounced Oong in the awful movie was wrong for mispronouncing a name for no reason.

Vaporleaf is offline POed panda fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought Aang was an Asian name or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuromi_Star View Post
    The daughter who's a waterbender looks like Katara, so it makes sense that Tenzin looks like Aang, as the only airbender, I suppose
    Huht? We haven't seen the rest of Aang and Katara's kids. And all of Tenzin's kids are airbenders...

Kuromi_Star is offline Neko mimi mode
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's a family tree a page or two back

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It sounds like it but I guess it isn't. From my personal experience I've lived in a city that is predominantly Asian( Chinese mostly ) and I have never met, seen, or heard of an Aang in real life.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I got to see it this morning and I thought it was great!!!

In Republic City, Korra was great taking care of those thugs, regardless that she got arrested for it.

I also felt it was great that she was able to help that team advance to the championship, even if it took her a while to get the hang of Air bending.

This was a great way to start off this new Avatar series! I can't wait for more!
    Technically she didn't, since she didn't actually airbend. She did get the hang of one of the techniques though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuromi_Star View Post
    I have a feeling that if Zuko is alive, he's the one who taught Korra firebending. Pro-bending is incredibly cool, and I can tell Mako is going to be a favorite of mine as he starts to warm up to Korra (much like Zuko was when he began opening up to the team)
    I'm pretty sure that old guy in Fire Nation clothes watching Korra spar against the firebenders was her firebending teacher. And if Zuko was alive, and it wasn't that old guy it still wouldn't have been Zuko, since it's clear that the masters come to Korra's village to live while they teach her. Something I doubt he'd have time to do.

Huht? We haven't seen the rest of Aang and Katara's kids. And all of Tenzin's kids are airbenders...
    Actually there's a family tree picture that's been released that show what Aang and Katara's kids look like.

Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^That's... kind of weird. I guess it's not impossible, and it's not a big deal or anything, but it seems unlikely that ALL their children would be
    Spoiler:
    either Aang's skin color or Katara's.
    Spoiler just to be safe...

Ed Liu is online now Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    Nope seeing as I don`t think there is a proper way to say Aang. Someone else explained it better than I can( I think it was Ed Liu ) but I think the long and short was there is no Aang in chinese so him being pronounced Oong in the awful movie was wrong for mispronouncing a name for no reason.
    It's kind of complicated.... Feel free to skip down if you don't feel like reading a lot of linguistic babble, and if you see unprintable characters below, then you'll need to install a Chinese font to see the characters.

The Airbenders are clearly inspired by Chinese and Tibetan Buddhist culture. Monk Gyatso is named after Tenzin Gyatso, the current Dalai Lama, but the previous Airbender Avatar was Avatar Yangchen, which is a Chinese name. "Aang" is not a Chinese name, but it doesn't really sound Tibetan to my ear, either. If it's made up (and I've never seen anybody cite a real-world example to say it isn't), then there is no "right" way to pronounce that name, and the rationale that M. Night Shyamalan gave to pronounce it the way he did is as arbitrary as Mike and Bryan's rationale for pronouncing it the way it was done in the series. Mike and Bryan did get there first, though, so I say their pronunciation is more "correct" just because they made it all up in the first place.

The only other justification for one over the other comes from the times where Aang's name is written out in Chinese characters as a transliteration (using Chinese characters to phonetically sound out a foreign word). From that screenshot, Aang's name is the first two characters from the top-down (安昂) and is pronounced "An-Ang" (from what little Chinese language skill I have, I think that means "Aspiring to Peace" or something like that). However, I'd probably say that the second character of Aang's name in Chinese characters (昂, "Ang") sounds closer to the live-action movie pronunciation than the TV show. However, using this as a rationale for the movie pronunciation is shaky at best -- you'd be basing it on the transliterated pronunciation of a made-up word, which doesn't make a lot of sense. It'd be like insisting that the proper pronunciation of the word "ring" is "ringu" because that's the way the Japanese transliterated the word in the title of the movie. That justification also requires you to throw away the first character of the name for no reason (most Chinese given names are two characters; one-character names exist, but they are very much the exception and not the rule).

Either way, "Aang" is a made-up pseudo-Asian name, as are many of the names in Avatar (and now Korra). If they happen to map cleanly to a real Asian language, that's great, but also entirely coincidental. As another example, Toph's full name is "Toph Beifong," and the characters for her family name (北方) are really pronounced as "Beifong," but "Beifong" is not a proper Chinese family name (they're almost always one character, not two), "Toph" is unpronounceable in Mandarin Chinese as a one-syllable word (if I remember right, even her transliterated name is pronounced "tuo-fu," which is as close as you can get), and the name is backwards (Chinese names put family name first and given name afterwards -- they actually did get this right when she flashes her passport at the head of the Serpent's Pass). But it's all made up, so if they want to say that's her name and that's how it's pronounced, then that's her name and that's how it's pronounced.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Neo Yi is online now Uhhhhhh...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    I'll have a more in depth review when I'm not dead tired, but so far, so good.
    Pfft, dead tired indeed and might as well lazy to that list, too.

Rewatched the episodes and they are still exceptional. Korra herself is an incredibly fleshed out character and someone I immediately catered to. Forceful, confident, and ready to take on anything, she could have fallen into the traps of being a tough, strong woman who uses her strength to overcompensate and follow the terrible tread of "being as good/or better than the boys" in a misguided attempt at positive discrimination. Along with her rather aggressive personality, she could have been an unlikable jerk as well, but ooh, those crafty writers know better than that. She fits neither. Korra is talented, but has her limitations. Her impatience makes Airbending the perfect foil to her growing arc. She may be ready to take on the world, but she's well meaning. She's not rude or insulting; she's quick to solve problems she sees - even if it's through her fists - and eager to express her gratitude when the situation calls for it. She's compassionate, overeager, and though she may not fully understand just what her role as a guider of peace is, she's willing to take on its responsibilities. Everything about her is gold.

Both episodes are amazing. I was iffy on "Welcome to Republic City's" pacing at first, but overtime it grew on me and I think it works fine now. "Leaf in The Wind" is especially good at fixing differing matters from both ends. I'm really irked whenever someone makes a good point only to be dismissed because the hero's way is better for some reason, especially if the hero's solution is often pigheaded and idiotic. There's compromise here; Tenzin realizes Pro-Bending improves Korra's technique and she in turn only lasted the game because of his teachings. Neither side is specifically wrong, but both need to improvise and I like that they pull that here instead of cheaply assuming the hero's methods is always right.

Tenzin is amusing; a man who uploads Airbending philosophy, but possess an uptight personality. His kids are adorable little ragamuffins and I love their behavior. My personal favorite scene is the youngest calling his father a terrible teacher innocently, then thrashing the obstacle course without a care. It's so like a toddler to behave this way and it's believable. It remains me greatly of Mei and Satsuki in My Neighbor Totoro when they ran and opened and explored every aspect of their new home in sheer awe and exuberance. I don't have much to say on Bolin (except he and Korra exchange witty dialogues very well with one another. Also I bet he'll get all the good lines) and Mako (other than I suspect he'll be Korra's prime love interest) though. Lin Bei Fong is awesome (she is Toph's daughter) and I desperately want a Barbara Gordon/Terry McGinnis kind of relationship where the cop knows the heroine is trying to do good, but their interaction is vitriolic at best. I find Amon's mask to be interesting because he's essentially "faceless", much like how Ozai was. In the latter's case, it emphasized his looming presence and his representation of the Fire Nation. What is Amon's reason for masking himself? Knowing the creators, I wouldn't be surprised if the reveal is both straightforward and symbolic. Also, maybe I'm overthinking this, but did anyone get anxious when Katara said her good-byes to Korra? What if this will be the last time they ever see each other?

Animation is gorgeous. They must have spent quite the moolah on this; everything is amazing. The backgrounds especially breathes life and I can already see the culture behind it as well as the major changes seventy years has befallen since the original series. I love that the series makes time to pan out and really show off the land (anyone notice the trees indicate that it may be Autumn? I wonder if this show will pass time like the original did?) It's weird to see cars, electronic cords, and radios in the Avatarverse, but it emphasizes the huge generation leap and creates a new world and culture for Mike and Bryan to tinker with. Most importantly, I am super keen that it's heavily inspired by the 1920s; that's only like my favorite decade ever.

I don't normally pay attention to the background music. Not unless it's good and it is good. The earworm jazzy scores, the mystical Asian themes, and the haunting credit scores, it's a treat to listen to.

Avatar: The Last Airbender already hit every note right. Legend of Korra set that bar even higher. I look forward to more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another thing I wondered: how is there another sky bison? I thought Appa was the last one.