Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Uncle_Lina is offline Rubba chicken
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What happened to Klasky Csupo?

Like This Thread!
    I remember in the late 90s and early 2000s Nickelodeon was like the Klasky Csupo channel with Rugrats, Wild Thornberries, As Told By Ginger, Rocket Power and reruns of Ahhh! Real Monsters and later we had All Grown Up, an upside down version of the Muppet Babies formula with the Rugrats. Now though I barely see any of their shows, I don't even think any Nick channels rerun any of these shows.

Dub
    Dub is offline BOB-OMB!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And with any luck they will stay gone and never glut the industry again with thier terrible art style and derivative storytelling forever and ever and ever and ever.

Dub's Not-So-Sexy Signature: Version 2.0!

http://chipandwalter.cartoonsdammit.com - Comics and blogs and artwork: OH MY!

kid rabbit is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    they weren't that bad the charters themselve were good maybe they'll come back with a better looking show

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gabor Csupo directed Bridge to Teribithia, so he's apparently moved on to directing live-action movies.

The first few seasons of Rugrats were not only cleverly written (which is apparently the doing of Paul Germain and a group of writers that eventually left), but the character designs weren't that ugly. The show was created around the same time Klasky-Csupo was the animation house for The Simpsons, so I could see some of Matt Groening (whose art style wasn't the lushest but at least was appealing and easy on the eyes) rubbing off on Rugrats. Even the lesser-quality followups aren't too ugly.

Duckman was adapting Everett Peck's art style to animation, and the K-C art actually fit the gritty nature of the show, likewise an uglier art style worked with AAAAAHHHHHH! Real Monsters.

It's everything from the Jumangi cartoon onward that goes south. Not only is the art style of those shows utterly repulsive, but since there's nothing in the shows that compliments the art, it makes them painful to watch. And the weak writing doesn't help.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 06-16-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

DarthGonzo is offline Ten Years on TZ!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Leviathan View Post
    It's everything from the Jumangi cartoon onward that goes south. Not only is the art style of those shows utterly repulsive, but since there's nothing in the shows that compliments the art, it makes them painful to watch.
    It's not really the in-house KC style as much as it was crappy character design. I think the Rugrats characters looked pretty good to be honest, and even today I rather like the designs. However, the stuff from Ginger, Rocket Power and especially Thornberries insults my eyes. Ugh.

livingfruitvirus is offline No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The studio did it to themselves. Pumping out several mediocre shows that all looked the same, while also treating their artists like crap and refusing to pay them overtime, and Gabor Csupo refusing to sign a union contract ever. For a studio that makes cartoons, they sure can't stand cartoonists.

In 2006 they dissolved the remainder of their 401(k) program.

Lavenderpaw is offline Essense Of Love
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthGonzo View Post
    It's not really the in-house KC style as much as it was crappy character design. I think the Rugrats characters looked pretty good to be honest, and even today I rather like the designs. However, the stuff from Ginger, Rocket Power and especially Thornberries insults my eyes. Ugh.
    Hey,I liked those shows.
    Lavender... it's not violet (blue wouldn't have it) and it aint royal. But it's still purple.

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Weren't they a marrried couple writing team who are now divorced? So I think they are history now, but maybe they can make a comeback, but I doubt it. I wouldn't want to work with my ex, no matter how much they might still be friends, it might be best to just leave it at that.

Of course divorce doesn't equal end of business partnership, but when does that type of arragement work?

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's funny how that ever since Nick stopped hiring them to produce shows, the company suffered tremendously.

Team Teen

Cartoon heroes unite!

Racattack!Force is offline 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    It's funny how that ever since Nick stopped hiring them to produce shows, the company suffered tremendously.
    Yes, since Nick was completely and utterly the only channel that ordered and aired series from them. As for what Klasky-Csupo is doing now, they are working on several animated pilots to pitch around to networks. Unlike their generic design that they are/were famous for, these are all in different animation styles. Here are the pilots they are working on:

• Ace Bogart, Space Ape
    • Big Babies
    • Commander Bunsworth
    • Ronnie Biddles
    • Chicken Town
    • Grampa and Julie, Shark Hunters
    • Sugarless
    • Zeek and Leo
    • Wiener Squad
    • Rollin' Rock Starz
    • Twinkle
    • Ricky Z
    • Junkyard Teddies
    • Little Freaks
    I hope this answers your question...
    Visit my website, Racattack Junction!, a blog that features reviews, opinions, interviews and news that surround animation. Last updated: March 27th. (Review of the Animation side of the CN Upfront)

Save "Chowder"!!!

Watch the "Festival of Chowder" from June 1st to June 4th at 8pm, and new episodes every week starting June 11th at 8pm.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast