Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Rocko Episode Discussion: "Teed Off"

Like This Thread!

In contrast with last week's "Jet Scream" thread, we now go all the way to season 4 for another favorite of mine. It's "Teed Off", an episode which mostly features Ed Bighead and Heffer.

The plot: Mr. Noway sets up a golf game between Ed Bighead and Mr. Dupet, boss of Conglom-o.

Ed's not allowed to win, though, carrying on a long tradition of "don't make the head honcho look bad". As such, the announcers are bored beyond belief.

The way that it's ensured that Ed doesn't show up his boss is from a base on the golf course where a Darth Vader-style commander launches pianos at Ed's golf ball.

Heffer, a greensman on the course who spends his spare time making crop circles, finds out about the jiggery-pokery and decides to help Bighead.

Heffer begins to toss spare golf balls into the hole after Ed's smashed with a piano for each hole, and Ed slowly gets back in the game. But Heffer doesn't realize this isn't supposed to happen, as Noway keeps chewing out Ed and accuses the central base of not knowing what they're doing.

Noway's berating leads to one of my favorite moments in the episode, when the Darth Vader guy gets defensive and Noway starts choking, in a parody of the famous Star Wars scene. This time, however, Darth had nothing to do with a subordinate's choking and actually is concerned. Classic and random.

Due to the pressure, central base launches more pianos, even repeatedly hitting Ed for good measure. It doesn't matter though, as Heffer keeps chucking the balls in (one of them is so blatantly obvious that he was involved that only someone BLIND wouldn't have noticed Heffer running right in front of the hole and dropping the ball in).

By the end of the game Ed has brain damage from all the piano abuse. Doesn't matter, of course, because Hef's still got his back.

And now for my other favorite moment in the episode, when Noway pretty much snaps when explaining the plan to Ed again, including throwing his eyes into the pond.

Even though Ed hits his ball into the pond as ordered, Heffer emerges from the water in his tractor (which apparently can fly now), heading towards the hole. But he's hit with a piano and goes down, prompting screams from everyone...

...including Rocko for a brief second at home, his only appearance in the episode. Great self-referential gag.

Heffer still makes the shot despite the crash, and Dupet congratulates Ed on such a close game. But his hopes are shot down when he thinks he'll be getting a raise as Dupet asks him what he does at the company, and just tells him to keep doing a good job on that.

...And of course the psychotic Noway beats Ed, as if he didn't get enough of it during the rest of the episode.

Thoughts on this one?

DarthGonzo is online now Ten Years on TZ!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Brilliant Rocko episode. One of my absolute favorites. Perfection.

"Who keeps making these things?!?"

Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Loved that episode. Cartoon violence involving pianos was never so much fun.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good, frantic short. The bit with Heffer decked out in flying ace regalia piloting the now-flying tractor brought to mind John Belushi's portrayal of Wild Bill Kelso from Steven Spielberg's comedy mega-flop 1941. And I thought I was the only person other than Steve who saw that picture.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode was a nice reminder that there was still some cleverness left in the fourth season. By this time in the series' run, most of the episodes were toned-down and nowhere near as unrelentingly funny as the first and second seasons had been, but this is a great classic return to form. No matter how many times I see Ed get nailed with a piano, it's still hilarious.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Darklordavaitor is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel stupid. I don't remember this one much.

Gotta check out for it on NickToons.

Great review, anyway.

Bryan is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thankfully I was able to see this episode on Nick on Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 1PM during the short-lived Nick Rewind block. I think I may have recorded it on VHS too.

Great episode!

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    XD i love that episode
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was one of my favorite episodes. I love how they were going to attack Ed with pianos by air, land, and sea.

I also liked how everyone started screaming in panic, and then it cut to Rocko, who was absent the whole episode.

I wish I could see the ep, but I don't have Nicktoons Network.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha ha, I remember that episode! Nothing beats the awesome randomness of golf balls constantly being annihilated by random flying pianos!

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

RockoFan is offline I am now utterly normal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the season four episodes the best because they're so fast-paced and quick to humor. This one is a prime example of Rocko's Modern Life at its finest! The first time I saw it was summer 2007 at 2:00 AM Central time. It was the best I'd seen to that point, but I like Wacky Delly a bit better. They're all classics anyways.
    "Magic Conch Shell? YOU MEAN LIKE THIS?!"

Darklordavaitor is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Recently got the chance to watch this one. Really a classic, one of the fastest-paced episodes the series has ever done. I think what made the episode was Heffer, watching the poor guy trying to make Ed's day, but really ruining it.

Don't remember seeing Rocko's clip, thugh. Maybe NN cut it out.

Is there any chance to see more Rocko talkbacks? You do a fine job of them.

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordavaitor View Post
    Is there any chance to see more Rocko talkbacks? You do a fine job of them.
    Thanks, man. It HAS been a while since I've made a Rocko thread. So on that note, look for a new one soon. (I just know everyone's waiting for a "Wacky Delly" thread, aren't you? )