Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    I.R Joey is offline Yep my face got stuck this way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Danny Phantom "Torrent of Terror" talkback (spoilers.)

Like This Thread!

Time to go ghost.

Nick continues it's DP premeirs with the episode Torrent of Terror. Summary from TV.com.

Amity Park is in the midst of a drought, and Mayor Vlad, eager to score points, releases Vortex, the weather ghost, to make it rain. But when Vlad double crosses Vortex, the ghost conjures a storm that threatens to drown the town! As Danny Phantom flies to the rescue, he’s zapped by a lightning bolt. When he comes to, he discovers that his emotions are now directly tied to the weather!

Discuss here.
    Question the Answers.

Every time you decide not to go to my artist's blog an angel has its wings viciously mutilated. Do you really want that on your conscience?
    http://stephenpjames.blogspot.com/

TheFZAtUGSOnline is offline Galactic Guardian since 2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Again, i will TRY to tune in, i've got stuff to do later today....
    --The FZ
    You know the rest...
    I'm out!

Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was alright, interesting to see Danny with weather control but ultimately forgettable.

Lonestarr is offline Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was a fine episode.

- So, in addition to Star Wars, Butch is a Superman fan.

- Those umbrellas...someone loves themselves a bit much.

- The 'make Danny happy' montage was funny.

- Sam's 'tude was toned down...also good.

Maybe, it's the 'Danny v. Vlad' aspect, but this and IF are way ahead of GNO.
    I feel that a big problem with today's society is that we don't listen to our fellow man -- especially when I'm talking.
    "Never be afraid to borrow from those wiser than yourself." - Mr. Jimmy (voice of David Arquette) on "Pelswick"
    "What do I care what some yahoo like Lonestarr posts on the internet?" - President Skroob (voice of Mel Brooks) on "Spaceballs: the Series"
    Links in a chain: DeviantArt | Fanfiction.net | Mr. Cellophane

Neo Yi is online now The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I can't get away from this episode without saying how thoroughly irritated I am on their treatment of Vlad's character. Point put, this is Vlad at his most swallow; his usually debonair, mysterious, and dark nature is replaced with a sense of awkwardness and clumsy villainous demeanor that would have fit more in Snidely Whiplash's book of ne'er doers. I appreciate the writers taking the time to go indepth on Vlad's current politic state, but the thought of him "creating" a weather machine, maintaining a less-then-sane ghost, and see him running away/get struck by a tiny storm cloud (while funny) just had me screaming Dick Dastardly. This completely undermined Vlad's character. The last thing I wanna see in Vlad is a cartoon villain from 50 years back. Sorry Vlad, but you're more intriguing when you're after your more personal victories.

Vortex continues the line of boring, painful one-dimensional characters that have spread throughout Season Three. I assume he's mentally unstable, but his reasons for spreading weather destruction everywhere stems only on a single line of it as his "visual art", one that's not at all emphasized or taken for granted (Vortex, you can't call yourself an artist if you don't know who painted the Mona Lisa). He's voice is also painfully annoying.

Animation is fine, I absolutely love the action sequence when it occurs, among other little ditties such as the close up of Danny getting zapped (good animation/pose) or Jazz frantically and comically lying to her parents on Danny's whereabouts (good gestures). It's not as good as the last two episodes though. Red skies and black and yellow make blah color combos in my opinion. And I know it's one minor scene, but I was absolutely disappointed in David Kaufman's attempt at making Danny sound sad near the ending when he witnesses a group of depressing animals in Tucker's helmet. Considering he did a tremendously good job on making Sad Danny during the "break up" in "Fanning the Flames", this one left me cringing. The only upside to this is that a latter episode does it even worse.

This is an extremely average episode for me, but thankfully there are still some goods. I personally liked that the show decided to explore Danny's emotions. His current personality has generally matured from the once naive, shy, and unsure boy that he once was. He's much more confident and levelheaded with himself, yet he still produces uncontrollable emotions possibly due to teenage hormones and his deep irksome nature with Vlad. It's a little out of focus for him to let loose so radically over his more grown nature, but he's always been a passionate kid and I suppose with his definite character arc closed, they decided to explore other aspects of him (unlike Sam and Tucker who both still needs an upgrade). His emotions thankfully manage to integrated it with the episode itself (though I'm not at all convinced on how he used his weather powers to fight Vortex--how does connecting himself to the Fenton Jet Plane causes him to increase in power? He's not a machine).

It also works well with the added Vlad/Danny vibe. One of the great things about this show is the Vlad/Danny interactions as the two work so well together, each bouncing off one another. This one personally has my vote for most entertaining as we see the two in a completely different interaction then their usual combats and witty banter, this time with Danny taking advantage of his temporary powers on poor Vlad. While I do question if this should count as power abuse (remember what happened to you in "The Ultimate Enemy", Danny?), it's thrilling to see such charming moments as the two play video games, make ice cream sundaes, and whatnot. This is probably the closest I'll ever get to a close Danny/Vlad bond that other episodes have failed to emphasize after Danny's meeting with Future Vlad in "TUE"...even if it's under false pretenses (seriously, that's a story element begging to be used). And let's face it, this is the only time Danny will ever get an upper dignity over Vlad.
    5.5/10
    Last edited by Neo Yi; 07-11-2007 at 11:14 PM.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

RonDrakenfan17 is offline Luffy fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to say its one of the best episodes this season. Vlad was a we bit out of character I must say but meh. What I really didn't like was Vlad tricking Danny. If Vlad would have stayed and helped fight that would have been good, but does he? Nope, he leaves like a coward. So I think Vlad got what he deserved in the middle part, being Danny's servant, I mean it was pretty much Vlad's fault he was that way to begin with. Anyways I enjoyed the battles between Danny and that new foe. I also loved the animation during the battles, that was great. The interaction between Danny and Vlad was very good here, I enjoyed it. Danny's emtions were fun to explore here and I loved well every thing about the episode. 5/5 from me
    Much better than GNO def.
    One Piece fan. Bleach fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really liked this episode.

Vlad's as clever, manipulative, and awesome as ever. One minute in and he's beaten the Observants and brought an extremely powerful ghost under his control. He manipulates everyone of Amity's citizens and Danny and even at end he manages to one up Danny in a way (getting everyone to think it Danny's fault).

Nice to see some elaboration on the Observants, not all that much but more that I thought we'd get.

The Danny/Vlad interaction that was missing in Infinite Realms is back full force here. Vlad catering to the kid was great and a unique situation in comparison to the usual. Also it proved one thing I suspected: Vlad is better than Danny than video games.

Few bad/questionable points though:
    • The way they beat Vortex. It seems unlikely that Danny absorbed the majority of Vortex's powers. Is he just weak against weather attacks? And why was he completely powerless at the end? More elaboration would have been be good.
    • It seems weird that that Vlad could find out the Observants location and infiltrate it so easily, especially considering that the Observants can see into the future, and how much of a threat they considered Vortex to be.
    • Vortex's voice. Words cannot describe how much I hate that voice.

...but the thought of him "creating" a weather machine...
    After all the crazy stuff the Fenton's have invented, you're having trouble with a weather machine that wasn't even really a weather machine?

...maintaining a less-then-sane ghost...
    Can you elaborate? I don't see how trying to take force Vortex to work him is very out of character.

- Those umbrellas...someone loves themselves a bit much.
    And next, Mayor Masters renames Amity Park to Vladsville.

I.R Joey is offline Yep my face got stuck this way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright episode today. Like Infinite Realms this one is neither great or horrible just okay.

+Interesting the way Vlad was used in this episode. Looks like he bit off more than he could chew, but like Reign Storm he found a way to turn it in his favor.

+I liked the new ghost in this one. Of course I wish they'd concentrate on developing some of the older bad guys but he was alright.

+Yay non snotty Sam.

+I always thought the observants were cheap nock offs of Marvel's "Watcher" race but it was interesting to see them interact with someone outside of Clockwork. I thought they'd be alot more powerful though. Vlad freed the weather Ghost pretty easily.

Bad.

-Somewhat boring at points. Honestly I wasn't as glued to the TV as I have been in previous episodes.

-Could have used the weather powers to hint at Danny's freezing powers.

Notes
    *Sam commenting on Danny's bad attitude is like the pot and the kettle especially this season.

Giving this episode a C. Bring on Forever Phantom, I'm really looking forward to it.
    Question the Answers.

Every time you decide not to go to my artist's blog an angel has its wings viciously mutilated. Do you really want that on your conscience?
    http://stephenpjames.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought they'd be alot more powerful though.
    Well the Observants didn't actually fight Vlad. They stayed true to their oath and fled when Vlad came in. Though I suppose their guards should have been tougher.

Oh and did Vlad have a spectral tail at the beginning, or was that part of the guard outfit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I totally forgot about that new episodes were premiering this week. I only caught the last 15 minutes of this. I wasn't too impressed. The action sequences were amazing. So does Danny still have a thing for Paulina?? Cause in Tuck's reality helmet he had a fantasy of running around in a bathing suit. But whatever. I hope I don't forget about todays.

Mad Mod 49 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *Sam commenting on Danny's bad attitude is like the pot and the kettle especially this season.
    Yes, as always Danny gets pummled with accusations on bad behavior, yet Sam gets off scott free and her faults are either ignored or treated as strengths. I don't like disliking characters, but Sam is just one of those characters that irks me to no end.
    Last edited by Mad Mod 49; 07-12-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Neo Yi is online now The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Project:Cadmus View Post
    After all the crazy stuff the Fenton's have invented, you're having trouble with a weather machine that wasn't even really a weather machine?
    Vlad is NOT a Fenton. There's a complete difference. It's not about what crazy machinery or other elaborate schemes that bother me, but the who behind it. Vlad felt like Dick Dastardly's soul possessed his body, causing him to act in a manner I did not find pleasing in this episode.

Can you elaborate? I don't see how trying to take force Vortex to work him is very out of character.
    I worded this one wrong. Him taking over a ghost through force is Vlad, it just felt so...eh when it's a rather unstable one when all his previous employees maintained enough of a personality that Vlad used better judgement against. Maybe I was already thrown off by Vlad's behavior throughout the entire ordeal. I failed to mention that I did not think Vlad was 100% off character (because it isn't), but everytime he's personality goes right, there's always a wrong that seem to counter it.

So does Danny still have a thing for Paulina??
    That thing irked me a little, too because it's been quite clear he's no longer into her ("Reality Trip" makes a nice evidence when all he did was smile when she kissed him on the cheek and I honestly think he just appreciated it, not lusted over it). Ahh, this one is small, so I didn't care.

Oh and did Vlad have a spectral tail at the beginning, or was that part of the guard outfit?
    Guard Outfit.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Originally posted by I.R Joey
    I always thought the observants were cheap nock offs of Marvel's "Watcher" race but it was interesting to see them interact with someone outside of Clockwork. I thought they'd be alot more powerful though. Vlad freed the weather Ghost pretty easily.
    Uh, where'd you get the impression they were really that powerful? I mean they had to get Clockwork to do they're dirty work for him in getting rid of Dark Danny in "The Ultimate Enemy". And it's not like they were able to try and threathen Clockwork when they felt he wasn't handling the job like they wanted.

Originally posted by Project:Cadmus
    Vortex's voice. Words cannot describe how much I hate that voice.
    It seemed to me like Charlie Adler was doing the voice of Vortex. Believe it or not it's not one of the more annoying voices Charlie's done actually. Watch Cow and Chicken/Brandy and Mr. Whiksers/Ahh Real Monsters for some really Annoying Adler voices.

This episode idea sounds like one of those random ideas sprung out by trying to be funny. "Hey here's hilarity written all over it. Let's give danny the ability to control the weather... with his emotions. That's bound for all sorts of gags we love to write about". I mean it was handled okay actually and made as plausible as it could be in DP's semi superheroish world, but still sounds like bad writing/plotting to me. There were some good things in this episode though: The return of the Observants from "The Ultimate Enemy" (who seem to actually control the legion of good ghosts that actually do exisit in DP's world. Always good to see some ghosts not wanting to be villians and wanting to at least maintain order in some form), Vlad using the ghost's powers to improve his image (makes more sense then his actions in "Infinity Realms" anyway), Danny actually being able to clone himself, how Vortex was able to be both Danny and Vlad quite handlily (and the show's fight coregraphy is improving a bit, even if it still isn't that good) and Danny using his weather controllign abilities to manipulate Vlad for once. Not so good were Danny having to appear angry just for the sake of the plot, Vortex screwing with the weather all around the world and the ending. I mean really I know they try and end things on a gag but the whole "go into the virtual world to laugh at my jokes thing" seemed a bit to out there even for this show. Oh well still made for a sort of decent ep.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .