SpongeTronXYZ is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SpongeBob and The 7 Deadly Sins

Like This Thread!
    I have been a fan of SpongeBob Squarepants for years and think that the depth of the characters is one of the things that really makes this show work. Ever since I heard Mr. Lawrence say (in an audio commentary on the Season 1 DVD's) that Stephen Hillenburg based the 7 main characters on the 7 Deadly Sins, I couldn't help but be very fascinated. I think I've figured out which character is each one.

1. Sloth-Patrick
    Sloth is the sin of laziness, or unwillingess to act. Obviously this is Patrick. He lays under a rock all the time and doesn't really do anything. In fact in the episode "Big Pink Loser" he got an award for doing nothing the longest.

2. Wrath-Squidward
    Wrath involves feelings of hatred and anger. Squidward hates his life, usually hates SpongeBob, and is pretty much angry most of the time.

3. Greed-Mr. Krabs
    Obviously Mr. Krabs is greedy and desires money. How could Greed not be Krabs? He actually sang about the power of greed in "Selling Out".

4. Envy-Plankton
    Plankton is envious of Mr. Krabs because The Krusty Krab is a success while The Chum Bucket is a failure. His envy drives him to try to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula.

5. Glutony-Gary
    I actually think this one is pretty funny. Did you ever notice the running gag in Spongebob where they say "don't forget to feed Gary" or Sponge says "I gotta go feed Gary". Gary even ran away that time when SpongeBob forgot to feed him. Glutony usually refers to the overindulgence of food so I'm guessing this one fits him pretty well.

6. Pride-Sandy
    Sandy takes a lot of pride in who she is and where she comes from. She takes pride in the fact that she is from Texas and likes to let everyone know it. She also takes pride in the fact that she is a mammal and a land creature, like in the episode "Pressure" where she tried to prove land critters were better than sea critters.

7. Lust-SpongeBob
    Ok, I know what your thinking. It does seem a little weird and curious at first but I have given it a lot of thought. Lust in one definition is "excessive love of others". I think this one works best for Spongebob. He shows his love of others with his overeagerness to do good and help people. If anything is true about SpongeBob its that he loves everyone around him, even if they don't exactly love him back.

So this is what I came up with. I don't know what anybody else thinks. Oh by the way try not to analyze cartoons too much, especially SpongeBob. I actually think the people on the show try to be inconsistent on purpose. Just to be funny.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is the most random idea for a topic ever. For a second there, I thought this was some new Timbox story idea.

Then again, this IS the Nicktoons board, so I shouldn't be surprised that it's random and Spongebob-related.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 7/21 - Macross: Do You Remember Love?)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Haha, that was a good read. You put the characters into the seven categories pretty well. The question is, where does Mrs. Puff fit into all this?

Kury Wagner is offline Jizzyboobgirlkury
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well then, this made me feel weird. o.O

While you make good points, linking Spongebob to lust *is* creepy. Haha. But yeah, pretty cool.
    goodbye to you, goodbye to everything I thought I knew
    you were the one I loved, the one thing that I tried to hold on to
    -Michelle Branch
    GEEK CENTRAL~! it pwns you and TZ.

Game Freak 4 is offline TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wait. Pride is a sin?!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Game Freak 4 View Post
    Wait. Pride is a sin?!
    Excessive pride, yes. Like the kind when you think/say things like "I'm the best". Some of Sandy's mannerisms could certainly fit into that, especially when she brags about how great Texas is.

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Haha, that was a good read. You put the characters into the seven categories pretty well. The question is, where does Mrs. Puff fit into all this?
    Heh, based on "No Free Rides" it hints that she has somewhat of a shady past. Perhaps that includes dabbling in alchmey and using human transmutation to revive her dead husband...

.... Oh come on! You knew there had to be an FMA refrence at some point in this type of thread. I'm just getting it out of the way now. Though the idea of the central SB characters being the sins is kind of weird but does make sense if you think about it. Though I would say that Spongebob has a Lust for his job and Krabby Patties in general as well.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The characters do fall into these categories quite well. It was probably just a fluke, since the 7 deadly sins do make good stories.
    4/13: FREEDOM!

Jave is online now So Smashing... In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    *reads*

*re-reads*

*re-re-reads*

Holy crap, you're right!
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.