Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ElBarto is offline Happy Cycler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spongebob and why I hate it

Like This Thread!

I used to like spongebob but not anymore now it seems that every time they make a new episode (definitly not on a regular basis) they have to promote for weeks EX-midevil episode or the newest one, apperently they are devoting the network to 24 hours of spongebob in order to premeire a new episode. Oh and episodes with Patchy the Pirate are only 15 minutes long and didnt have another pair with it (lost ep, BC)

Sponge bob either needs to get cancelled or make episodes on a regular basis but Nick has to decide.

One Very Important Thought.

Rasputin is offline Self-Declared Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So...because you don't see Spongebob enough...you hate it? That does not correspond with normal earth logic. You'd have cause to find it annoying but I don't see how scheduling hiccups surrounding a show can make you hate the show itself.

I'd reserve hate for things like genocide and the injustices of globalisation...not TV shows.
    AH POOK IS HERE!

Tash is offline Senior Member Daymare Invaders Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin
    So...because you don't see Spongebob enough...you hate it? That does not correspond with normal earth logic. You'd have cause to find it annoying but I don't see how scheduling hiccups surrounding a show can make you hate the show itself.

I'd reserve hate for things like genocide and the injustices of globalisation...not TV shows.
    His problem is the over-hyping of new episodes. Since the new episodes are spread out, every other episode is turned into a special event of sorts. (KidsWB did the same thing with Yu-gi-oh, advertising every new episode as "an all-new 3-part special event")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nick is a tightwad IMO. The Disney channel spends buckets of cash on new specials and series, while Nick just reruns junk or spews out a new episode of a show every now and then and acts like it's the Second Coming. No wonder Disney is eating Nick's lunch in the ratings. Last time I looked, Nick still rules in the 2-11-year old viewer category, but Disney now owns the 6-11s and the 9-14s. And good for them too.

EscaflownePilot is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This settles it. I demand we create one big "Why I Hate Spongebob" thread and sticky it at the top. That way, all the people who constantly feel the need to justify their hatred of the show here have a place rather than creating a new bash thread twice a month.

As a Spongebob lover, I don't disagree, but it seems like almost everyone who hates the show cites this or something similar as the reason for hating it... which just doesn't seem like a strong reason for hating something, IMO. It's a great case for why you might hate Nickelodian, yes, but not Spongebob.

Classic Speedy is offline It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If they're going to make new SpongeBob episodes, I'd rather they do one of two things: Either keep making one 11-minute short paired with an older episode, or make two 11-minute shorts like they used to. Either one is fine. The worst scenario is when they have an episode that's only barely longer than 11 minutes and because of that, they stick unfunny and painful Patchy the Pirate sketches around them to fill the rest of the time.
    "Ah, crusty pants, a filthy wall, good morning!"

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sponge bob either needs to get cancelled or make episodes on a regular basis but Nick has to decide.
    Not really. You know the old phrase "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It?" The same thing applies here.

You see For Season 3 Nickeloden Held Back on showing Spongebob episodes because Stephen and others of the original SB crew had left the show and it didn't look like it would get picked up for a 4th season. So while Nick tried to get them to at least to agree for more seasons to be made, they aired the remaining episodes at a super delayed rate so no one would notice the show seemed "cancelled". Eventually they relented (though Stephen still isn't dirctly involved with the show anymore and some of the other SB animation/writing team like C.H Greenblatt and Aaron Springer moved on to other projects) and Spongebob got at least 2 more seasons. However the delayed policy worked really well as Spongebob still got megahit ratings, and Nick realized they could draw out the series as long as possible, airing episodes at specific times and getting really high ratings for them, espically the specials. (You may of hated how "Lost in Time" was promoted but that got 8.6 Million Viewers for a reason you know). It's not even that the crew aren't making new episodes at a slower pace then usual: Nickelodeon's just airing them that way to keep Spongebob on the air as long as possible. You can't fault the show because the executives find that the "show episodes at specific intervals" policy really works.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

tb4000 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    People always confuse hating something with hating the people that distribute it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Ultra Mike
    Not really. You know the old phrase "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It?" The same thing applies here.

You see For Season 3 Nickeloden Held Back on showing Spongebob episodes because Stephen and others of the original SB crew had left the show and it didn't look like it would get picked up for a 4th season. So while Nick tried to get them to at least to agree for more seasons to be made, they aired the remaining episodes at a super delayed rate so no one would notice the show seemed "cancelled". Eventually they relented (though Stephen still isn't dirctly involved with the show anymore and some of the other SB animation/writing team like C.H Greenblatt and Aaron Springer moved on to other projects) and Spongebob got at least 2 more seasons. However the delayed policy worked really well as Spongebob still got megahit ratings, and Nick realized they could draw out the series as long as possible, airing episodes at specific times and getting really high ratings for them, espically the specials. (You may of hated how "Lost in Time" was promoted but that got 8.6 Million Viewers for a reason you know). It's not even that the crew aren't making new episodes at a slower pace then usual: Nickelodeon's just airing them that way to keep Spongebob on the air as long as possible. You can't fault the show because the executives find that the "show episodes at specific intervals" policy really works.
    Devoting a whole day to spongebob to show a new episode is rediculos

DarthGonzo is offline Ten Years on TZ!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBarto
    Devoting a whole day to spongebob to show a new episode is rediculos
    Boo-hoo. It's just one day - and during most of it you'll probably be at school or at work anyway.

I dont see what the big deal about this 24 hour marathon. Spongebob is popular and it gets good ratings. Get over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to like spongebob but not anymore now it seems that every time they make a new episode (definitly not on a regular basis) they have to promote for weeks EX-midevil episode or the newest one, apperently they are devoting the network to 24 hours of spongebob in order to premeire a new episode. Oh and episodes with Patchy the Pirate are only 15 minutes long and didnt have another pair with it (lost ep, BC)

ok

Mr. Manager is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you don't like it because it's on to much then don't watch much of the repeats.

Anarky is offline Team Conan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i don't care much for Spongebob. Seen a few eps here and there, not to my liking. I did like the Mer-Man eps...and I do like Squidward's disdain for life.
    Sonicsgate.org :a 2-hour documentary chronicling the unique circumstances that led to the Sonics' exodus to OKC

(1967-2008) Seattle Supersonics

Junko Black is offline [insert funny title here]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the new season ruined Spongebob. That and the NONSTOP replays of it.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
    - Oscar Wilde

Chuck M. Jones Guest
    All the good ideas were used up ....they could come up with new ideas and better storyline...anyway this successful charcter doesn't need any evolving, they should never kill him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthGonzo
    Boo-hoo. It's just one day - and during most of it you'll probably be at school or at work anyway.

I dont see what the big deal about this 24 hour marathon. Spongebob is popular and it gets good ratings. Get over it.
    Your missing the point completly

DarthGonzo is offline Ten Years on TZ!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Your missing the point completly
    What am I missing? You hate the show because Nickelodean plays it too much. Hate the network, not the Sponge.

Bryan is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You may not like seeing repeats shown constantly, but they always get ratings. That is why every week there is a marathon on Sat/Sun (or both days), because --- it get ratings.

As for the 24 hour thing, I like it. I will not have school on Friday 11/10, so I will most likely have SpongeBob on during the overnight while I'm up and during the day on Friday. It isn't a bad idea. And I will guess that when the ratings come out the follow week of this 24hr marathon, you will see A LOT of SpongeBob's on there.

Although one thing that does disappoint me is that they are going to show the "Best Day Ever" episode and the SpongeBob movie on the same day. I think they should have saved the movie for Nicksgiving Weekend (11/22-26) or something. Two big things in one day (plus the 24 non-stop hour marathon) is a lot in one sitting. They could have spread them out and hyped both equally.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    >>i don't care much for Spongebob. Seen a few eps here and there, not to my liking. I did like the Mer-Man eps...and I do like Squidward's disdain for life.

Squidward doesn't have a disdain of life---he just has a disdain of what he perceives as "low-brow"/"purile" interests of SpongeBob and Patrick... not to mention a distaste for his mind-numbing job...

tb4000 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainatra
    >>i don't care much for Spongebob. Seen a few eps here and there, not to my liking. I did like the Mer-Man eps...and I do like Squidward's disdain for life.

Squidward doesn't have a disdain of life---he just has a disdain of what he perceives as "low-brow"/"purile" interests of SpongeBob and Patrick... not to mention a distaste for his mind-numbing job...
    Squidward is basically cynical about Spongebob's optimistic look at life. Which would make him the most realistic character on the show.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast