Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: Katara still hates being paired with everyone and everything in this show. ^^;

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 (MainCharacterShipping)

10 50.00%
  • 4 (BadBoyGoodGirlShipping)

7 35.00%
  • 3 (SiblingShipping)

2 10.00%
  • 2 (OldManPervShipping)

1 5.00%
  • 1 (ILoveMomoShipping)

0 0%
  • 0 (FrothyMouthGuyWhoFaintsAlotShipping)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Freedom Fighter is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talkback - Avatar: The Last Airbender "The Cave of Two Lovers" (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

The legend begins again...

||||||||||
    ||||||||||
    ||||||||||
    ||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||
    |||||
    |||
    |

But I believe Aang can save the world...

The best American-produced action show to debut in 2005 returns for its second season, as we shift to a focus on Earthbending. Avatar: The Last Airbender resumes its magical journey, gaining a cult following that grows every week!

Last Time: Earth, Chapter 1 "The Avatar State" Talkback
    This Week: Earth, Chapter 2 "The Cave of Two Lovers"
    Premieres Friday, March 24 at 8 pm, part of Friday Night Slimetime*
    (* - Which means expect an approximate 7:53 pm start.)
    Encores Saturday, March 25 at 11:30 am**
    (** - Assumption based on last week, not listed on any schedules.)
    Summary: On their way to Omashu, the kids meet a group of nomads who show them a short cut through the ‘cave of two lovers’. But when the kids become lost in the caves, they have to trust in love in order to overcome the curse and get out of the tunnels.
    Spoilers: Just don't, or you'll get a lightning bolt your way!

Yep, another new 'Avatar,' another reason to skip March Madness for half an hour! Review, and see you for another new episode in two weeks!

Freedom Fighter's Library (Last Updated 5/7-10/12 It's "Fresh from Europe" pregame week!)
    Fanfiction.Net (Last Updated 5/7/12 - Fireside Diaries, Episode 215)

Crash is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First comercial break: "...We now have but one choice. We must face the long dark of Moria..."

Nice.
    Nobody likes having to rise to a challenge, but competing against other people and getting in thier face to say 'ha-ha I'm better than you' is a part of life sometimes!

Bryan is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone else think that the audio sounds a little fuzzy tonight? It was the same way with the Catscratch episode, these are the only two shows I have watched so far. Anyone else having this problem, or notice it?

nachonaco is offline TRN: The Real Naco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My sound just went completely out. Grrrr.....
    Check out my new blog!

http://projecthaizi.blogspot.com/

Scirel is offline WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Damn, I really didn`t expect it to be as good as it was. Also for them to get to Omashu in 2 episodes when it took them 16 last time. ^_^;;
    I am the squid of the vapor surrounding your dreams, sorrow, nightmares, and bootie pants. So watch out about that.

- Raocow

Strollymonster is offline NO SPRINGS!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I missed the first half...so I don't really know what happened with Iroh and Zuko. When does this replay?

A good episode, though not as good as the last...but fun nonetheless.

Points to the writers for not totally giving into shippiness and leaving it up to the viewer wether they kissed or not.

I liked the creation of Earthbending story, and I'm very interested in the idea of animals using bending...I also liked how the origin of Omashu came to be, that was awesome...the animation style was most excellent.

Speaking of animals, the wolf-bats were crazy awesome, as were the mole-badgers. Sokka's improvised song was quite humorous, as were their traveling companions.

Oh boy, looks like the Fire Nation's been busy...wonder what happened to Bumi?
    Demon's Souls: It's never felt so good to be beaten so badly. Expect me to invade your world soon...MUHAHAHAHAHA!

shaman_mya19 is offline giant robot fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    we probally have wait a little longer for the training to start for aang because Omashu has been taken over by fire nation so wait for next episode to see what happens
    Spoiler:
    ow u hurt me

LordTerminal is offline The old-school DK is back!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well they stopped at Omashu last season so they have a general idea of the location whereas the Northern Water Tribe lives mostly in secrecy in the North Pole.

That and I think they want to spend more episodes on freeing Omashu from the Fire Nation Army now that we know they broke in and took names on a city.......again.

Anyways, this episode gets a high score simply for all of the moments with Sokka. This episode just kept making me laugh. 4.5/5
    If anyone comes up and asks "Are you a spy?" just say "Yes! Can't you read? But I'm undercover!" - Don Patch

He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life. - Homer Simpson

Ultra Mike is offline 1000 Posts = Woot Or Something
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Damn, I really didn`t expect it to be as good as it was. Also for them to get to Omashu in 2 episodes when it took them 16 last time.
    Well that's probably because there didn't need to be as much development of the characters to showcase how far they've come on they're journey. Also the Northern Water Tribe Kingdom wasn't a big flaming wreck controlled by the fire nation like Omashu. Obviously they're defintley not in the save yet.

Actually I kind of feared this episode would be more mushy and annoying then it actually was. Yeah they missed a chance to develop Sokka by not dealing with the feelings he had for Yue and have that be his guiding "love", but I personally think Nickelodeon wants to make Sokka more "goofy" then he should be so there would be more comedy relief in the show. (Sure the Nick execs enjoy the show but you still know they don't want it to be TOO different then they're other stuff). And at least he had some funny stuff with the group of Nomads (I espically like how his red mark with him banging his hand on his head repetivley from they're stupidly. I'd like to think we've all felt that way from time to time). Aang and Katara's plot was also nice. I'm glad they didn't foreward the emotion too much (heck if you think about it, the story of the two lovers having to deal with the war between them could also be made for Zuko and Katara) and played it subtley. There was also some nice development in the Zuko and Iroh plot. I like to think that Zuko was slightly less hardened by the kindness of the San and her mother, but still felt he needed to do anything he could to accomplish his objective. (Thus taking the creature). I'm still hoping the rest of the season is as good as this and the last episode, and that the crew try to stick in more mature Sokka characterization. When Nick won't stop riding them about it.
    Well That's 1000 Posts Down And...

... Guess However many left I have until I get too annoying to be kept around and got banned or something.

shaman_mya19 is offline giant robot fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i was expecting to see them kiss but i hate the darkness blocking it but maybe their will be another kiss from them later
    Spoiler:
    ow u hurt me

Delthayre is offline Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Next Week: The cavern of three certified public accountants

Truth be told, I didn't like a lot of that. The singing hippie-alikes annoyed me outside the realm of comic insufferability and the kissing stuff, well let's just say I'm not that kind of romantic. The scene whereïn the torch went out was, however, very nicely done.

I was dissapointed at Sokka's generally static nature, again. He was by and large in character as a cynical, nonsense-loathing realist, but I would have liked to see something deeper of him.

I disliked the first part of Zuko and Iroh's story as well, the first part seemed a bit to simpleminded and silly. However, it quickly bettered with the dinner scene, at least. I'm pleased to see that Zuko is beïng confronted with the human consequences of the war, but not spontaneously having a change of heart or anysuch. If he is to turn from one way to another, I should hope it is kept slow.

I had been fearing that they would dither about a lot on their way to Omashu as they did on their way to the North Pole, but, to my suprise, I had not considered that they might find the city subjugated. I eagerly wonder whereto this may go.

All told, a few fine scenes and a sharp ending amidst aggrivating silliness leave me largely ambivalent regarding "The Cave of Two Lovers".

*** out of *****

The current Nickelodeon schedule indicates that there will be no new episode next week, with The Fairly OddParents airing instead. Next week's schedule looks rather odd alltogether, I suppose it must be something to do with that nonsense that Jack Black is hosting.
    Last edited by Delthayre; 03-24-2006 at 11:58 PM.
    “What is earnest is not always true; on the contrary, error is often more earnest than truth.”
    ~Benjamin Disraeli

Nel_Annette is offline Go green!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I absolutely loved the humor in this episode, especially Zuko's uncle just using plants while not knowing what they do. Also loved the singing guy.

I liked how Zuko actually spent time with someone who had been a victim of the fire nation in some way. Great development there. Looking forward to the next episode. After this humor in this episode, the serious cliffhanger caught me off guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good episode! The "lip-bending" was well done; nicely ambiguous without jerking the audience around...much. A well-orchestrated "first step" between Aang and Katara, but happily, they still have a long way to go. Watching them get there will be FUN.

The backstory of Zuko and Iroh was terrific too; Zuko is becoming more and more three-dimensional and poignant. Kudos to the writers of "Avatar"! It's so great to watch a cartoon that respects its audience's intelligence AND feelings. Can't wait for the next episode!

Neo Yi is offline The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Frankly, this episode in general was well made and I generally loved it. Had some great laughs and I can officially say Chung is such an awesome character. He's laid back personality made for a good few laughs. That said, goofy laughs or not, I did feel sorry for Sokka that he got chewed out yet again. I've always enjoyed him when he has his funny moments, but I'd like to see some credibility in the poor guy.

And of course, Iroh and Zuko (I like how the latter is growing hair). I didn't seem to care much for their subplot UNTIL they showed the girl (Song, was her name?) showing off her injury from the Fire Nations to Zuko. The look on Zuko's face was absolutely priceless and I don't mean in a hilarious way. He looked absolutely shocked at this. He just couldn't believe it. That face that he made seems to indicate his first look at how horrible the Fire Nations really are. It makes me wonder how much further Zuko will be affected by this as the episodes progress and hopefully, it will be a character growth on him.

That said, kudos to the writers of the show for making Katara and Aang's kiss ambigious. They didn't make it cliche by showing it or having something big interrupted, but kept it so fans will be talking about this for years to come. And kudos for the animators for their beautiful artwork as always; highlights being the beautiful crystals glowing in the cave, Zuko growing his hair (I didn't care that he was near bald or anything, but it showed it off in a realistic sense...sorta), and is it just me or is Song's dress (as well as her mother, I think?) based on Korean hanbook? As a Korean, I couldn't help but notice it's influence. Tee Hee.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

RedNinja84 is offline Hotness 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't realize the new episodes has started yet but I was pleased to see that the quality had picked up from the end of last season. It was mostly a comical episode but the hippis got on my nerves. I liked the romantic tension between Aang and Katara, tey left everyone guessing. I think they wouldn't address that untill a more dramtic part of the show later on. Over all it was a good episode.

Crash is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No good hippies.... I too am annoyed that Sokka's character just sort of treads water... I mean he's in the 'cave of two lovers' and there is no refence to the girlfriend he lost two episodes ago? Not even a sorrowful look? That's weak.

Especially compared to Zuko. This guy is redefining the term 'antihero.' A family takes him in, treats his uncle, feed them, and then he swipes thier horse(-bird thing) the moment he leaves? That guy is cold. (And frankly I'm surprised that part of the script got past standards and practices. One of the main characters stealing in cold blood. That's some pretty subversive stuff.) I do like his new look, though.

Excellent ending. Neat little panoramic animation, Sokka' diolog echoing Aangs back when then first saw Omashu, and then the reaveal. This should get real interesting real quick.
    Nobody likes having to rise to a challenge, but competing against other people and getting in thier face to say 'ha-ha I'm better than you' is a part of life sometimes!

The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did Katara and Aang really kiss? Katara said the darkness was the key shortly after that scene. The lights on the roof appeared so quickly and Katara started moving a few seconds after their torch went out, leaving Aang puzzled; I suppose he could have been puzzled because they just kissed, though it seemed to me he was disappointed because the kiss wasn’t necessary and he didn’t get to use it.

Akelexre is offline No to the Avatar movie.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was dissapointed.

I liked the side story with Zuko (the latter half, anyway).

But I was dissapointed with everything that went on in the cave. Sokka enters a cave of lovers without thinking of Yue? Oy. In the meantime, the hippies were hella annoying. And they insist on keeping with the possible romantic relationship between Aang and Katara. Ew.

Also, the animation didn't seem as sharp; I wonder if they've started using a different studio this season, or if they've been really rushed. I've gone back and watched a lot of the first season and the animation quality (in terms of backgrounds, consistency, not going off-model, etc.) is much higher then it is now.

I'll have more thoughts later on.
    "Maybe the angels need a sharp sword too."

Funkatron is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Loved the Iroh/Zuko side story. Especially love the look on his face when the girl showed him her scar. Hope he sees more of the damage that the Fire Nation has done.

The main story was a riot. Who knew nomads were hippies . Loved it when they were braiding all thier hair, including Appa's . Liked the backstory to the city of Omashu.

Damn, Omashu got taken over? Hope they can take it back. Wonder were Bummi is?
    I'm gone

Freedom Fighter is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nachonaco
    My sound just went completely out. Grrrr.....
    You're not the only one... the entire Second Act played without sound for me, so I was kinda lost when it returned for the Third Act, especially surrounding Zuko & Iroh and the villagers they came across.

Hopefully this'll reair in the morning, and I'll hear Act Two again and get a better understanding. Then I'll post a review. I will go ahead and note, though, that from a comedic standpoint, Sokka was laugh-out hilarious! I felt for him, being stuck with the singing nomads. Bad singing nomads, I might add.

Poll is up now, though, for those of you who did see and hear it in full. (I actually had the poll ready before the episode, but didn't get time to post it.)

Freedom Fighter's Library (Last Updated 5/7-10/12 It's "Fresh from Europe" pregame week!)
    Fanfiction.Net (Last Updated 5/7/12 - Fireside Diaries, Episode 215)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast