View Poll Results: How would you rate Kappa Mikey?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll

1 8.33%

4 33.33%

0 0%

1 8.33%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

1 8.33%

1 8.33%

0 0%

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Swonker is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nicktoons Network Premiere Talkback - "Kappa Mikey"

Like This Thread!
    This is the talkback for the latest Nicktoons Network program, Kappa Mikey, or, as I prefer to call it, Animation Collective's last chance to make anything that's remotely entertaining.

The show focuses on Mikey Simon, an American animated actor who somehow lands a job on an anime show. He decides to take the job and move to Japan.

Let's see if Animation Collective actually managed to do something right this time.

Delthayre is offline Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Filmed in super Japanimation-o-tronics

Animation Collective is profoundly adept at not making very good shows. I can't think of a single thing made by them that that hasn't seemed bad to me. Every aspect just seemed ill considered and poorly executed. The animation was unimpressive and I could only imagine it being explicable if the show has a budget dwarfed by the GDP of some micronesian atoll. The writing was matchingly innefective. Mikey being some sort of incorrigible jerk is a serviceable plot, but the whole thing was so poorly paced, written, and plotted that it was just annoying. Indeed, the show annoyed me in general. Some of the attempts at humor made me long for jokes about pizza oracles and throwing shoes at owls. A few of the jokes could have worked, but the delivery was generally ill done, much of the voice work has a unfortunate breathlessness and rushednes to it.

I'm not even sure what the writers are going after with this show. A parody of anime? A parody of Japanese culture in general? A parody of American perceptions of Japan? The writers don't give the impression of having done their homework or of having any respectable familiarity with their topic in any of the scenarios.

Nicktoons Network seems to have a bad sense for original series. Neither Kappa Mikey nor Skyland seem to have much promise (but I do give Skyland more credit than Kappa Mikey). The fact that I won't have NN when I return to college is far from the primary reason I won't be watching any more of KM.

* out of ***** (which equates to a 2/10 since I don't do half stars)
    “What is earnest is not always true; on the contrary, error is often more earnest than truth.”
    ~Benjamin Disraeli

Zubby is offline I'm probably delicious!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I give it a thumbs down.

Really tired charecters (and none of them are really likeable), by the second episode you already know how they will act. Predictable plots, the animation isn't that interesting, and uninspired writing. It has a really poor sense of timing, with dull scenes going on forever and interesting ones over in a heartbeat. It can't seem to make up its mind what it is. Is it a parody of anime, a sendup of Japanese culture, or something else?

Most annoyingly, it felt like it was thought up by a committee of morons in suits who think they know what kids will find cool, and fill the episode with those things, with the result that they miss it by a mile. Think of the 'Poochy' episode of The Simpsons and you'll get what I mean.

It's still very early in the series, they might be able to fix thing given some time. My guess is they won't have time, that it will be gone long before it can get good.

Oh yeah, the dancing sushi between scenes were ok. I might watch a show filled with just that.
    Zubby
    Otaku? I think that means I'm cute!

JMorgan is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ooh, so THIS is that show my cousin was talking about? I was just about to make a topic asking about this "anime parody" type show he was explaining that he saw a commercial of that was supposed to premiere yesterday, and since I saw no topics about it anywhere but I know he wouldn't make something like that totally up, I was really curious.

It sounds like it would have been a pretty neat idea, but that the execution is bad. That's really too bad.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well, so much for my last shred of hope that AC would put out something halfway decent. I really wish networks would quit hiring them.

Ultra Mike is offline 1000 Posts = Woot Or Something
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay I'll give them points for having the most anime takes I've ever seen on an American Made show. I'll also give them credit for using some 4kids voice actors on a Nickelodeon channel (Sean Schemmel, Michael Sankertikitas, Dan Green). And I'll give it credit for making me laugh more then Catscratch of the X's ever did. That still dosen't change the fact that you guys are one hundreded percent right on this show. It's still has stock, one dimension characters (and if they are anime parodies, that should come across more clearly. You can't become the thing your'e mockking for a parody. You have to twist it up, espically with Mitsuki the "uber nice girl who has a crush the main character is totally obvlious too"). And although the designs are not, the animation seems very rushed. Espically when they aren't filiming the show. PIty, I had expected this show to be really excellent based on it's premise, and then it burns out two incredibley lame predictable plots like "crazy guy moves in with friends and drives them crazy" and "replace the thing your boss/person who could get you in a lot of troulbe has". Oh well. It's still a good idea, but most shows even now have good ideas. It's the execution that sucks.
    Well That's 1000 Posts Down And...

... Guess However many left I have until I get too annoying to be kept around and got banned or something.

Dr. OneWay is offline Formely known as Catdogfan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I missed the premiere. Does anyone know when it will air again?
    - Dan
    900 + Posts
    Onewaystreet1119
    "OH Deer, grab the defibrillator."
    2 full years on TZ as of 7-06-07*

Dark Fact is offline Preaching evil since '04
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So the first episode is a flop?

Shame. No...a really bad shame. I've been keeping in touch with this series for months now when it was hyped by animation collective because I thought it had an excellent premise going here. But, if the execution is just that terrible and this show gets cancelled, I think AC will just throw in the proverbial towel.

I wonder if the show will get yanked as fast as Wulin Warriors did...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Highwind
    "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST--Here comes a new challenger, we're gonna get one hell of a show! Which one of these fighters will walk away a champion?!"

Rasputin is offline Self-Declared Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It all depends on the ratings, really.

I had a similar idea to this show myself, but I have to say it looked a whole lot better in my head than this show does (and, considering everything, me already having a similar idea to this show probably just illustrates that this idea may not be a particularly good idea). All I've seen are the previews but...it just looks like such an ugly show. I can't see it being particularly popular even if it turns out to not be as bad as everyone says it is.

I mean, those 4 people who gave it 9 and 10 in that poll above...they must have liked it, right?
    AH POOK IS HERE!

Dark Fact is offline Preaching evil since '04
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin
    I had a similar idea to this show myself, but I have to say it looked a whole lot better in my head than this show does (and, considering everything, me already having a similar idea to this show probably just illustrates that this idea may not be a particularly good idea). All I've seen are the previews but...it just looks like such an ugly show. I can't see it being particularly popular even if it turns out to not be as bad as everyone says it is.
    Invader Zim also looked ugly but it turned out to be the one of the biggest cult hits in the past few years. If this show doesn't start picking up the pace with some clever writing, it won't last! Simple as that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Highwind
    "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST--Here comes a new challenger, we're gonna get one hell of a show! Which one of these fighters will walk away a champion?!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast