Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your opinion on....Gotye

Like This Thread!

This is now #1 on Billboard. It's been on Glee and SNL. It's by a Belgian waffle named "Gotye."

And to be honest.....I don't really like it that much.

My issue is, it's just plain depressing. I like stuff with a strong beat, things that get me moving. Things that make my head swim, and things that make me happy. This, by contrast, makes me want to go pout in the corner, possibly eat worms.

They say alternative is back thanks to people like Gotye (and I hope that it is, and not some the-90's-are-retro-now fluke), but I remember alternative being better than this.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest....I'm a bit mixed on Alternative music. I like "Somebody I used Know" but at the the same the don't. And your right, the song is really depressing.

They are good singers tho. I'll give them that.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really like it, but I really like sad music. The line "now you're just somebody that I used to know," resonates very strongly with certain relationships I've had, and I guess that universal feeling must be a part of its popularity.

You know what's cool about this, though? People discovered this through a viral video, that's how it got hot. It didn't take some marketing company push and a million dollar ad campaign. It gives me hope that the Web might truly be democratizing art and music.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/arts/music/the-latest-viral-hit-gotye-7309873.html

Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Evo
    Evo is offline Agent of Providence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins
    I really like it, but I really like sad music.
    Me too. I'm also not so much a fan of the original as the walk off the earth version. I do like Kimbra's part. I guess I just don't like his voice. Good song, though.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Seriously, the scenario in this song actually happened to me, and the woman who did it to me even had the same haircut as the girl in the video, even though she wasn't nearly as pretty. We only dated for five months and I didn't love her, didn't even like her that much by the end, really, but when she just stopped texting and returning my calls I still couldn't help but be annoyed by the abruptness. I have to admit that I did this to someone once myself, though, so if she was a jerk I am too. I guess most people have had a relationship that just end like that, no being friends or even associating after, and that might be why the song is so popular.

Oh, yeah, before I saw this, or the Walk Off The Earth cover, I saw the Key of Awesome parody of the Walk Off The Earth version, and just thought it was some crazy idea they'd made up. I mean, really, five people on a guitar?
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

purplehairedwonder is offline No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Darren Criss/Matt Bomer cover of "Somebody That I Used To Know" is my most played song in iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I really like the original (I particularly love angsty, sad music for whatever reason), but those are two of my favorite people ever and they're singing together. Their voices blend so beautifully, the staging is really cool, they're easy on the eyes, and did I mention Matt Bomer? Yeah. Glee did something right with that.

I haven't heard any other songs from Gotye, though I'm curious now.

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    LJ | FF.N | AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehairedwonder
    The Darren Criss/Matt Bomer cover of "Somebody That I Used To Know" is my most played song in iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I really like the original (I particularly love angsty, sad music for whatever reason), but those are two of my favorite people ever and they're singing together. Their voices blend so beautifully, the staging is really cool, they're easy on the eyes, and did I mention Matt Bomer? Yeah. Glee did something right with that.

I haven't heard any other songs from Gotye, though I'm curious now.
    Gotye thinks the Glee version sucks, at least the vocal arrangement.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ed-know-314891

I'm very humble, too.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow that's surprising, I thought Matt Bomer and Darenn Criss' performance was terrific.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly I only learned of him last month from a Youtube Poop. So I looked up the original song and I like it, it makes me want to check out the album in full. I too enjoy sad music, I'm intrigued.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

purplehairedwonder is offline No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Gotye thinks the Glee version sucks, at least the vocal arrangement.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ed-know-314891
    And then proceeded to back off: Gotye Clarifies 'Glee' Comment; Calls Darren Criss-Matt Bomer Cover 'Clever'

I don't even know. But whether he liked it or not (which is his prerogative; it's his song), I still adore it.

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    LJ | FF.N | AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Locke is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought the whole album was fantastic, a really talented guy. Easily one of my favourite albums of the moment.

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    O just heard the rest of Mirrors Mirrors and yeah it's pretty dope. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm thinking of Gotye as a Belgian and more indie Beck. What with them both being genre hoppers and multi instrumentalists.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Seriously, the scenario in this song actually happened to me, and the woman who did it to me even had the same haircut as the girl in the video, even though she wasn't nearly as pretty. We only dated for five months and I didn't love her, didn't even like her that much by the end, really, but when she just stopped texting and returning my calls I still couldn't help but be annoyed by the abruptness. I have to admit that I did this to someone once myself, though, so if she was a jerk I am too. I guess most people have had a relationship that just end like that, no being friends or even associating after, and that might be why the song is so popular.
    I'm in almost the same boat as you. It's like they crawled inside my head and transcribed exactly what went on between me and my most recent ex-girlfriend in the weeks and months immediately succeeding our breakup. I didn't want to cut her off completely, but she was so clingy and desperate that I suspected she'd turn any post-breakup discussion with me into an attempt to get back together, and since I still felt sympathetic towards her, I was afraid I'd actually let it happen if she tried it. I really wish we could have stayed friends (we shared about a million common interests), but she's just got too many emotional issues standing in the way.

So yeah, the lyrics are tough, but I still like the instrumentation. I can't hear the xylophones without thinking "Bugs Bunny sneaking-up music!"
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

cartoonscartoons is offline I cant help it, if I'm lucky
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I knew about Gotye MONTHS before the mainstream, so it really irritates me seeing all these people acting like it's the newest best thing. Same with fun. and Grouplove.

I guess I'm just a Hipster!
    Last edited by cartoonscartoons; 07-10-2012 at 09:05 PM.