toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate "Speed and Spyke"

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll

1 9.09%
  • ****1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

1 9.09%

3 27.27%
  • **1/2

1 9.09%

1 9.09%
  • *1/2

3 27.27%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 9.09%
    Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Discuss this episode of the fan-favorite X-Men: Evolution animated series!

Episode #5 - Speed and Spyke
    Original Airdate - December 9, 2000

When Storm's nephew, Spyke, begins to develop his mutant powers, he decides he'd rather use his unusual abilities for revenge against a thief calling himself Quicksilver, rather than learn to harness his powers at Xavier's Institute.

Comments?
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Kolbar is offline @Cinecrisis on Twitter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode introduces Spyke and Quicksilver. To see the X-Men: Evolution schedule for Cartoon Network, click here.

James Howlett Guest
    I was really impressed how Quicksilver's speed powers were animated. I think there were some really nice visuals in there. His costume design was not that bad, either. The plot for the episode was alright, too. A bit standard, but it served as a nice set up for these characters, I think.

Jaguar is offline Cogito ergo doleum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a pretty good episode, and Richard Cox as Quicksilver seems like a good fit to me.
    Jag man you know I tear up every time I see you 'round." -RD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It introduced Spyke, the worst character in the entire show BY FAR. Pietro was cool though, so he salvages it. 1.5

Sandman is offline Lord Morpheus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pietro definitely saved this. If they had just introduced Spyke solo, like they did with Blob and Rogue, it might have been the worst episode ever. So Pietro is worth a star and a half. I can’t describe Pietro without saying that I often felt that I was watching QEFTSG on Bravo when he was onscreen. Richard Ian Cox was great choice too. It is hard to imagine that Spyke got even worse after this episode, but he did.

This episode also gave us one of the worst of Scott’s trademark corny lines.

"When you are with the X-Men, you are never alone."

I hate Scott.
    Last edited by Sandman; 01-14-2004 at 05:35 AM.

Sandoz is offline Thin Man Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd talk about how lame Spyke is in this episode, but it'd be nothing new, so I won't. This episode could have benefitted from a subplot, like the other indroductory episodes. Evan was stretched too thin. Quicksilver's fun to watch (the slap) and the poolside ending was cute ("Kurt's, like, totally getting fur in the pool!") but that's all I liked.
    "As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness that was very pleasurable, until I realized that it wasn't a nectarine at all, but a HUMAN HEAD."
    ~Jack Handey

Movie06 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not going to bash Spyke, never. I will say this though, he did need some work, I mean they could've gave him more personality and devlopment.

Anyway, the high point for me about this episode Pietro a.k.a. Quicksilver. The dude rocks, everything about him in Evo is cool. His design, the animation, the voice actor, etc.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Movie06 View Post
    I'm not going to bash Spyke, never. I will say this though, he did need some work, I mean they could've gave him more personality and devlopment.
    I will, a little. Spyke needed a lot of work.

Film Roman was taking a huge gamble with the character of Spyke, and he had a lot going against him from the get-go: one, he was an OC (although technically, Spyke was based on an obscure old Morlock from the comics who died in the aforementioned book), and hardcore fans generally hate OCs for the simple fact that they're not canon, two, he reeked of being a 'tossed in for Political Correctness' add-on character, basically Evan was brought in so there'd be an African-American X-kid (so why not just make Storm a teen for the show?), three, they made him Storm's nephew, which screwed with her canon back story: how the smeg does Ororo now have a sister and a brother-in-law when she's supposed to be an orphan? And finally four, the whole 'rad skateboardin' dude' bit came off as very wannabe cool, especially since Evan had no real character outside of that.

-Also, this is just my opinion, but Spyke's mutant power was appallingly lame. Come on, he shoots bony spikes from his body? They really couldn't come up with a better power than that? When they were passing out mutations, poor Evan must've arrived late, as he clearly ended up with the bottom of the barrel. One of the Lamest. Powers. Ever.

Also, did anyone notice how the Spyke/Quicksilver rivalry never went beyond season 1?
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Movie06 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    Also, did anyone notice how the Spyke/Quicksilver rivalry never went beyond season 1?
    Actually, that did bother me that the writers never expanded on that.