Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate And Comment

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll

3 75.00%
  • ****1/2

1 25.00%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Discuss this Spider-Man: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #6 - Doctor Octopus: Armed and Dangerous
    Original Airdate - February 18, 1995

Spider-Man battles the villain known as Doctor Octopus, who has kidnapped Felicia Hardy and J. Jonah Jameson for ransom. Spider-Man discovers that Doctor Octopus has a personal vendetta against Felicia's mother, Anastasia. Now, Spider-Man must find a way to put an end to the grudge and save two innocent lives.

Comments?

Brainiac is offline You've forced my hand.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One of my favorite Doc Ock storylines, it was great to see him introduced in such a fashion. Also, the ending with Ock in the prison cell talking to himself was great!
    "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have."
    -Roger Rabbit

"The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light."
    -Stanley Kubrick

BlackCat is offline The Dark Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How could I forget to record this episode? Didn't it run this Sunday morning? A good episode. A great introduction to Doc Ock.
    Cat-Tales - The real Gotham After Dark.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode is airing today on ABCFamily so I thought I'd bump it up for all to enjoy.

Probably one of my favorite episodes becuase it has some killer animation in there. You have the love the scene as Spider-Man flips and dodges out of the way of Doc Ock's tentacles! TMS did a great job on that sequence. The animation people just did a really good job on the episode, going all out on some of the more quick, intense sequences.

Granted the whole 'Felicia Hardy/J. Jonah Jameson under some sort of rocket engine' trap is a bit convoluted, this episode still does a good job at painting Doc Ock as a great villian. I also like what the series did with connecting Doc Ock to Peter's youth. I can't remember if they did that in the comics.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Season 1 had awesome animation all the way through it.
    This episode was the best of the bunch of Doc Ock episodes, and it had some funny quips from J Jonah Jameson. I think I remember that Stan Lee and Avi Arad wrote this (along with The Alien Costume part 1). Am I right?
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Drachentöter is offline Good night. And good luck.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've finally found a niche for Spider-Man! Since the major network Saturday morning 10am-11am hour SUCKS, I can switch to ABCFamily.

It's been awhile since I've been able to pay full attnetion to a Spidey ep, but it's just as good as I remember. The storyline is great, I like how Spidey makes use of his Peter Parker persona. As others have said, the animation is excellent.

My only gripe, and this goes for the entire series, is the overbearing music. The theme can get repetitive and it blares at full volume, making the actual dialouge and sound effects hard to hear. Maybe it was just my TV. But I'm pretty sure the entire series would have benefitted from more, original music
    "But what is the difference between literature and journalism? Journalism is unreadable and literature is not read. That is all." - Oscar Wilde

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Love truth, and pardon error." - Voltaire

aftertheomega.blogspot.com

Zebi is offline Take off, eh!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a bit late with my responses to this talkback, but this is my favourite Spider-Man episode, so I had to reply!

I don't remember watching Spider-Man TAS when it aired for the first time. However, after seeing the movie, I watched as many of the episodes that I could find. This one sparked my interest in Dr. Octopus, and got me interested in reading the comics so that I could learn more.

I liked how they did not use the entire episode as an origin story; instead they told us about Doc Ock's origin and past through a couple of flashbacks. There were also a few memorable quotes and sequences that I really enjoyed.

Originally posted by Spider-Man
    I also like what the series did with connecting Doc Ock to Peter's youth. I can't remember if they did that in the comics.
    I don't think that any of the comics ever connected Otto Octavius to Peter Parker's childhood. I liked how the episode made him a teacher of Peter's; we see that he likely was an influence on Peter's interest in science (when he speaks to Ock over the phone, Pete tells him that he's read all of his research papers).

We also get some insight into Octavius' mindset when he spoke to Peter after an experiment blew up. Otto tells him that "Science is the important thing. It justifies all that we do in its service." This statement may very well be the rationale behind the crimes he has committed as Doctor Octopus.

Originally posted by The Red Bird
    Season 1 had awesome animation all the way through it.
    This episode was the best of the bunch of Doc Ock episodes, and it had some funny quips from J Jonah Jameson. I think I remember that Stan Lee and Avi Arad wrote this (along with The Alien Costume part 1). Am I right?
    Yes, you are right. Avi Arad & Stan Lee wrote the story for this episode, and the teleplay was written by Brooks Wachtel & Cynthia Harrison.

The story of The Alien Costume, Part 1 was written by Avi Arad & Stan Lee, and the teleplay was written by Len Wein, Meg McLaughlin, Stan Berkowitz, and John Semper.
    Last edited by Zebi; 01-10-2003 at 11:16 PM.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really liked this episode, too. This was my first real introduction to Spider-Man. I read the Spidey books before the cartoon, but rarely touched upon Doc Ock. I got my first real interest in the charatcer from this episode. It's a great idea for the character, too. An eight legged (so to speak) monster out for Spider-Man. And the voice work on him? Perfect!
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Zebi is offline Take off, eh!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ABC Family airs this episode this Saturday at 10 AM (EST).

Episode #6 - Doctor Octopus: Armed and Dangerous
    Original Airdate - February 18, 1995

Dr. Otto Octavius is permanently endowed with four mechanical arms after an accident he blames on the Hardy Foundation. Assuming the persona Dr. Octopus, he kidnaps Felicia Hardy, and later J. Jonah Jameson - can Spider-Man save them in time?

Comments?

Knightmare is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man
    This episode is airing today on ABCFamily so I thought I'd bump it up for all to enjoy.

Probably one of my favorite episodes becuase it has some killer animation in there. You have the love the scene as Spider-Man flips and dodges out of the way of Doc Ock's tentacles! TMS did a great job on that sequence. The animation people just did a really good job on the episode, going all out on some of the more quick, intense sequences.

Granted the whole 'Felicia Hardy/J. Jonah Jameson under some sort of rocket engine' trap is a bit convoluted, this episode still does a good job at painting Doc Ock as a great villian. I also like what the series did with connecting Doc Ock to Peter's youth. I can't remember if they did that in the comics.
    They did as part of the Spider-Man Chapter 1 maxi-series from the late 90's (I know that most Spider-Man fans would love to forget about Chapter 1 and the long run I agree with them, but I thought the first issue and the Zero issue(in which they dealt the origins for the Lizard,the Vulture and the Sandman) were both pretty good, plus the idea of ting Doc OCk to Spidey's origin is a great idea to me.)

Then Brian Micheal Bendis did much better a few years later in the pages of Ultimate Spider-Man by not just conect Doc Ock. to Spidey's origin but the Green Goblin to it as well.
    Who knows what is really real..... that's the true question in life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast