toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate this episode

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll

1 11.11%
  • ****1/2

1 11.11%

2 22.22%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

1 11.11%
  • **1/2

0 0%

1 11.11%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 11.11%
  • 1/2

2 22.22%
    Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ultimate Spider-Man "Game Over" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Check out an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man inside Marvel Universe on Disney XD today starting at 11:00am (ET/PT)!

Ultimate Spider-Man "Game Over"
    Episode Premiere Date - September 29th, 2012
    Spider-Man teams up with The Avenger's Captain America and the X-Men's Wolverine to stop a new threat to S.H.I.E.L.D..

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode airs, too, providing your own commentary, though avoid successive posting. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

sparkykandy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not quite sure how I feel about this episode. I'll be re-watching it later with my friend, I'll have a better idea of how I feel about it then. However, it did feel like something was off about this episode, couldn't tell if it was the animation or not.

On the other hand, I did enjoy the fact that not only was Spidey fairly competent in this episode, he was key to helping Cap. and Wolverine take down Arcade. The minute he decided to stow away on Cap.'s plane, I was worried that he would turn out to be the third wheel of the group, but he didn't.

Also, did anyone else get a Control Freak (from Teen Titans) vibe from Arcade or something like that? Kind of weird that somebody called Arcade could be considered a major threat but eh.

Roxas_Sora is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but considering the situation, I expected the bad guy would be Mysterio.

King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxas_Sora View Post
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but considering the situation, I expected the bad guy would be Mysterio.
    Nah just because they introduced Kraven, Electro and the Lizard so far they stop showing more of the Spidey rogues and go with the other villains from other heroes and as i mentioned before it was too obvious Arcade will be the villain, aside that Wolverine is in it the title was pretty obvious, if it was Mysterio the title would have been "Allusion" or "Don't believe what you see" or something like that
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode was okay, but it didn't have any stand-out scenes.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Rick Jones is offline Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was a pretty fun episode that could have benefited from fight sequences that stood out more. Making Arcade into a mutant seemed pretty random but I can't remember it being that big of a factor. Cap and Wolverine have been two of my favorite guest heroes and I thought they were portrayed about as well as I expected.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

Choppasmith is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought the episode was pretty damn great. Love how they did Arcade, and it was just fun all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    Making Arcade into a mutant seemed pretty random but I can't remember it being that big of a factor.
    I always thought he was a mutant gifted with high intelligence. The whole "controlling technology" thing, that's definitely new. I thought it worked quite nicely though.

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode that lived up to my expectations of getting to see an amazing team-up like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Captain America. I liked Spider-Man's line after Wolverine and Cap's brief scuffle that was like, "Typical superhero team-up shenanigans."

Putting the sentinel in there was also awesome. We got a nice visual reference to Days of Future Past and also the Fastball Special.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After thinking about it some more, I guess my biggest issue with the episode was Arcade's blatant villain stupidity. If he was trying to slow the heroes down enough to prevent them from interfering with his plans, why did he bother giving them power-ups? I get the whole video game thing, but I guess I wished they explained that bit a bit more.

Did love his little emoticons though.

maczero is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This ep reminds me of one the first X-men stories that I read. In fact, that story made me get into collecting superhero comics. It was a Claremont story about Cap and Wolverine first meeting in Madripoor.

Anyway, I thought this ep was a lot of fun. Only downside was making Arcade a mutant.

Also, is anyone bothered by huge gap in the animation quality between USM and the other two Marvel show? I mean USM is gorgeously animated while Hulk & the Avengers shows seem to cut corners and wind up looking pretty cheap at times.
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at realtorva@verizon.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is bit a weird question, but I can't help but wonder if this version of Arcade is part East Asian. I keep looking his eyes and they look Asian. The orange/red hair (unless it's dyed) makes me think of Caucasian though.

Then we have this quote from this interview here:
    Arcade was a great opportunity to do that, making him more ethnic, making him younger, making him a video game and tech genius. All of those were elements we thought would make him more interesting.
    The interview: 1.

Edit: Just read the rest of the interview. He is indeed Asian. Stupid me, not bothering to read the rest.

What was the casting process like for Arcade? Did you have a specific kind of voice you were looking for when auditions started?

We had a voice for the character in the script. It was more youthful. It had some of the attitude that classic Arcade had. We did an auditioning process for him as well. In this particular case, because we were setting it in Madripoor, we figured, "Let's make this an Asian character." We cast an Asian actor to play him. We only change ethnicities of characters if it's important from a story perspective. It adds an element of diversity that reflects our audience as well. Since we were adjusting Arcade so much for audiences today, it felt like a small jump from there. The actor who plays Arcade, Eric Bauza, is an actor that, since we had him for this role, we've cast him as other characters as well.
    I'm guessing the hair's dyed then?

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post

Also, is anyone bothered by huge gap in the animation quality between USM and the other two Marvel show? I mean USM is gorgeously animated while Hulk & the Avengers shows seem to cut corners and wind up looking pretty cheap at times.
    It's very noticable. I've seen some people postulate that Marvel rushed Assemble into production to cash in on The Avengers movie and come out in time for Iron Man 3.

I'm guessing the hair's dyed then?

His eyebrows were darker so yeah, I think we're meant to assume he has natural black hair and just dyes it red.

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't even notice that the first time, will have to watch the episode again. Good spot.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Roxas_Sora is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw the episode, and it was really fun. There was a few strange things, however. Let's see:
    + When the LMD Fury was sending Arcade's message to the heroes, they were unmasked. Does this mean Arcade now knows the secret identities of Spidey's team?

+ The saw LMD modeled as Red Hulk, but not with his look from "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.". Does this mean we will see an episode about General Ross turning himself into the Red Hulk? I guess we only can expect this episode in "Avengers Assemble".

+ It was actually funny the fact that Spidey was the key to victory here. Sure, Cap and Wolverine are good professionals from the old school, but this was a battle of the new generation's style. And what's a clear sign of the male teen heroes of the new generation?, videogames. Who says that play them for hours is bad?

+ It's curious that we see a Sentinel here, and Arcade stole it fro SHIELD. Does this mean Spidey will have a "mutant adventure" with the X-Men in a future episode? Considering how the X-Men are openly feared and hated like Spidey, it wouldn't surprise me.

+ Spidey controling the Sentinel was really cool. It made think about that hero kid with a Sentinel friend. Juston Seyfert, I believe. Do you think it will appear in the future?

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [Quoteblock]The saw LMD modeled as Red Hulk, but not with his look from "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.". Does this mean we will see an episode about General Ross turning himself into the Red Hulk? I guess we only can expect this episode in "Avengers Assemble". [/quote]

I don't think so. There are a few characters who have inconsistent designs across the three Marvel Universe shows right now, so I don't think Red Hulk's different design really meant much. It's worth noting it looks like the Red Hulk toy from the Avengers Assemble line, though.
    http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/up...k-Rage-001.jpg

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was a good episode, it was nice to see Captain America and Wolverine again. Roger Craig Smith and Steve Blum are both great in their respective roles. I noticed they also tweaked both of their designs. The are around around Captain America's armpits are now grey instead of blue no doubt to match Avengers Assemble, and Wolverine's outfit is sleeveless as opposed to last season where it was a full body suit. The sleeveless version I think works better, but the grey area is kinda weird and doesn't make much sense so if anything I think AA should have just used the S1 USM Cap design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxas_Sora View Post
    Saw the episode, and it was really fun. There was a few strange things, however. Let's see: + When the LMD Fury was sending Arcade's message to the heroes, they were unmasked. Does this mean Arcade now knows the secret identities of Spidey's team?
    Good point. If Arcade can control technology it makes sense that he can see through the things he controls. I doubt they'll ever elaborate on that though.
    + The saw LMD modeled as Red Hulk, but not with his look from "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.". Does this mean we will see an episode about General Ross turning himself into the Red Hulk? I guess we only can expect this episode in "Avengers Assemble".
    That seems like a big leap. If anything they just did the designs for Red Hulk here before the one in SMASH was done. And if Red Hulk's past is shown anywhere I'm pretty sure it'd just be in SMASH. Also why didn't Fury bother telling Cap that he had already sent in Wolverine? I get that he couldn't let Wolverine know that he was sending in back up since communications were blocked, but it makes no sense for him to not at least give Cap a heads that Wolverine was already in the field.

Lamel2g is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fun episode. Spider-man was pretty useful and I found the banter between Wolverine and Spidey entertaining. Would've liked to see a more extended fight with the Sentinel. The animation looks really good.

Rick Jones is offline Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's probably due to it being the only one still handled at Film Roman, and not in-house at Marvel Animation Studios.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode was better then I expected. I like it when Spider-man is actually portrayed as smart and competent in this show which does not happen as often as it should. Here he was able to hold his own along side two of the most skilled soldiers in the world. That and that he could think like Arcade helped figure out things the other two could not.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved this episode. The right amount of fun, Spider-Man competency, good use of guest-stars (Cap and Logan are A-listers and we got to see them fight each other and team-up), and Arcade is sort of a favorite of mine, so I'm glad they used him.

I liked the Days of Future Past reference with the sentinel, but the whole episode actually kind of reminded me of the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance video games. It might just be because I typically put Cap, Wolvie, and Spidey on my team (along with either Iceman, Human Torch, or Thor), but also the combo fastball special move. I almost expected to hear an announcer go "Fantastic!" Also the high score thing at the end was funny.

I guess if I had any objections it'd be why the Fury LMD gave the team so much info in the first place. I thought Cap was going to be not who he seemed at first.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykandy View Post
    After thinking about it some more, I guess my biggest issue with the episode was Arcade's blatant villain stupidity. If he was trying to slow the heroes down enough to prevent them from interfering with his plans, why did he bother giving them power-ups? I get the whole video game thing, but I guess I wished they explained that bit a bit more.
    I'm guessing the rules of the game were very important to Arcade, so he had to include the power-ups because that's how the whole thing works.

Also, is anyone bothered by huge gap in the animation quality between USM and the other two Marvel show?
    Yes. Very much so.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman