toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate this episode

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll

1 11.11%
  • ****1/2

1 11.11%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

2 22.22%

2 22.22%
  • **1/2

1 11.11%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

2 22.22%

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    I could not help but compare this to "Gamma World" from Avengers EMH and point out the deficiencies this episode had, considering the similar concepts. If I ruin anyone's enjoyment I apologize.

1. There was actual tension in Gamma World, in BOTH episodes. Part 1 had a horror-ish vibe and Part 2 was straight-up action/conspiracy with a slight macabre atmosphere. The only comedy was a few intentionally awkward one-liners, mostly from Wasp. In here, it was played mostly for laughs. I admit I smiled at the "PIZZA BAGELS!" running gag once but none of the rest of the jokes worked for me and they only derailed some of the more serious moments like Hulk telling everyone that "everything is an egg". What the humor did was erase any semblance of tension that made the Gamma World episodes work so well and would have made this episode better.

2. The animation in EMH was frankly better, especially in the shading. Compare the opening scene of Gamma World part 1 to any scene in this. The coloring, the shading, the fluidity, it's all significantly better in the Gamma World episodes.

3. There were multiple plot holes in Hulked Out Heroes. If there indeed was a "gamma flu" going around, why didn't any of the passersby get infected, potentially causing a Prototype or inFAMOUS-esque type of situation (which would make for one hell of a story)? Or Black Widow in the concluding battle, which would have caused a lot of tension as she would have struggled not to lose control while curing the others. It would have also have painted Widow in a more heroic light if she put curing the others ahead of herself. After all, this episode intended to do that for Widow to a degree. The Gamma World episodes mostly managed to avoid plot holes (there's the question of Hulk and Hawkeye charging from Canada to the Mojave Desert in time to stop The Leader, admittedly). Plus there at least was an excuse for Hawkeye not getting infected (inoculation is a bit of a cop-out but at least it's an explanation).

4. The designs in Hulked-Out Heroes are LAZY. There's no real variation among the characters. They just turn into green copies of the Hulk. Gamma World mixed things up with the designs at least, some turning into Hulk-like behemoths, others into more horrifying creatures, and not all of them are green.

5. The music in Gamma World tends to lurk in the background or even turn silent in some areas to raise the tension, saving the orchestral bursts only when the action gets underway. Much like USM, the music in Avengers Assemble never shuts off which is a major detriment on occasion.

6. BANNER. I've gone on and on about why Avengers Assemble's obsession with ignoring Banner is ultimately a bad thing. This episode would have been a golden opportunity to have Banner appear and have him help in the general situation, and expand on the themes the episode wanted to explore. It was all wasted, and the passing mention of Banner doesn't really help as Banner seems to be referred to in the "past" tense, which means he's gone. Gamma World Part 2 did utilize Banner, and Banner's genius came up with the cure to stop the Leader's plan, even though the Hulk (who is about as smart as the AA Hulk) arguably played a bigger role in actually stopping the threat.

7. Say what you will of AEMH's turning Wasp into a hideous-looking hornet creature, but AEMH never made the colossal, raw stupidity of Thor being turned into a Hulk. Asgardians are not affected by gamma radiation . . . well, at least not until that rather Amazons Attack-level of atrocity that was the comic book version of Hulked Out Heroes. Not to mention Tony hulking out of his armor. The armor should have burst into a zillion pieces, not rip apart like clothing. IT WOULDN'T WORK THAT WAY.

I'm done. I could go on but I've been writing this for 20 minutes. That's long enough.
    Not at all macattack, you gave some good points with this episode and EMH 2 part episode. If they want to come up with some cool monster designs or at least looking entertaining they should have called Thomas Perkins(creature designer of Ben 10, Men in Black cartoon, Extreme Ghostbusters and of course EMH) as you mention the design of the Avengers turning into Hulks where just lazy, makes you feel they where saving a couple of bucks. Heck, the Ultimate Avengers creatures had better look and i'm saying alot since i do feel UA animators are probably the same that are working on AA.

That would have been cool if Black Widow was going to turn into a Hulk where she's sacrificing herself to save the team before her, that would have gave her some good points also people won't see her as a Mary-Sue much yet MOA misses that opportunity and make her a hero without even transforming her a little. Also a missing opportunity is that they could used The Leader or the Abomination, kinda weird with Abomination where neither AA and Agents of Smash hasn't appeared where you might think he would be with the Red Skull.

Did people complained on Wasp transformation? That's actually my fav part of Gamma World, aside of the TF sequence being call it was creepy. Thor turning into one yeah that was really stupid, if they had at least an explanation or have the Leader see why Thor is not affected but figures out how he can change that as we seen with EMH with the Enchantress.
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

macattack is online now I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_of_doom View Post
    Not at all macattack, you gave some good points with this episode and EMH 2 part episode. If they want to come up with some cool monster designs or at least looking entertaining they should have called Thomas Perkins(creature designer of Ben 10, Men in Black cartoon, Extreme Ghostbusters and of course EMH) as you mention the design of the Avengers turning into Hulks where just lazy, makes you feel they where saving a couple of bucks. Heck, the Ultimate Avengers creatures had better look and i'm saying alot since i do feel UA animators are probably the same that are working on AA.

That would have been cool if Black Widow was going to turn into a Hulk where she's sacrificing herself to save the team before her, that would have gave her some good points also people won't see her as a Mary-Sue much yet MOA misses that opportunity and make her a hero without even transforming her a little. Also a missing opportunity is that they could used The Leader or the Abomination, kinda weird with Abomination where neither AA and Agents of Smash hasn't appeared where you might think he would be with the Red Skull.

Did people complained on Wasp transformation? That's actually my fav part of Gamma World, aside of the TF sequence being call it was creepy. Thor turning into one yeah that was really stupid, if they had at least an explanation or have the Leader see why Thor is not affected but figures out how he can change that as we seen with EMH with the Enchantress.
    Hell, if MOA had utilized their creature designer for Generator Rex we could have at least had some measure of variation here with the team becoming Hulks. There's really no difference between them, and there's some serious logic fails, such as Thor still being able to wield Mjolnir or Iron Man still have a laser at his disposal despite the rest of his armor falling off. It does add some variation but it doesn't really make sense for either to happen. The threat of Thor being killed by gamma radiation explosion is an even bigger reach than an Asgardian being infected in the first place as well.

I can understand not infecting the passerby from a meta perspective. The result would have been a Prototype or inFAMOUS-style story, which would have been spectacular but would have required at least a two-parter just to fit in the necessary parts of the story. As two-parters are not allowed, that's understandable. But they could have fit in Black Widow getting "ill", though. There's no excuse for that particular plot hole. Her helmet was off, there was a flu, she should have gotten infected. And, as we agree on, it would have given the final battle more tension and give Natasha a chance to show off how heroic she is in a meaningful way, if she opted to save the team before saving herself. And Laura Bailey would have been able to pull off a Hulked Natasha. Have you heard her Halibel voice from Bleach? Laura's voice can go DEEP. I thought she would have been an ideal She-Hulk casting before SMASH and AA because of her Halibel.

I mean, you can see it, Natasha, losing control, manages to save the team members one by one, but at the end, on the verge of losing herself, finds she can't take the gloves off without destroying them. She's doomed to lose control or suffer the fate she saved the team from, gamma explosion. Hulk says a variation of "forget it!" takes the gloves off of her, damaging them in the process but curing her with the damaged gloves, but they are fried from curing Widow and the damage Hulk did getting them off Widow, making them useless. It would have solidified that Hulk/Widow bond they were going for in the script as well.

It is surprising that Red Skull and MODOK were behind this, not Abomination or Red Skull. The Leader in particular would have been useful in this plot, The Leader would have helped Red Skull figure out what would make Thor immune as you said and change that, thus avoiding that particular logic failure.

Thor should not have been affected. "An Asgardian has no need of such protection". My guess the reason why they went against that rule is 1. laughs, and 2. to avoid redoing what EMH did with Thor being unaffected by gamma radiation. Problem is it contradicts the books.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Hell, if MOA had utilized their creature designer for Generator Rex we could have at least had some measure of variation here with the team becoming Hulks. There's really no difference between them, and there's some serious logic fails, such as Thor still being able to wield Mjolnir or Iron Man still have a laser at his disposal despite the rest of his armor falling off. It does add some variation but it doesn't really make sense for either to happen. The threat of Thor being killed by gamma radiation explosion is an even bigger reach than an Asgardian being infected in the first place as well.

I can understand not infecting the passerby from a meta perspective. The result would have been a Prototype or inFAMOUS-style story, which would have been spectacular but would have required at least a two-parter just to fit in the necessary parts of the story. As two-parters are not allowed, that's understandable. But they could have fit in Black Widow getting "ill", though. There's no excuse for that particular plot hole. Her helmet was off, there was a flu, she should have gotten infected. And, as we agree on, it would have given the final battle more tension and give Natasha a chance to show off how heroic she is in a meaningful way, if she opted to save the team before saving herself. And Laura Bailey would have been able to pull off a Hulked Natasha. Have you heard her Halibel voice from Bleach? Laura's voice can go DEEP. I thought she would have been an ideal She-Hulk casting before SMASH and AA because of her Halibel.

I mean, you can see it, Natasha, losing control, manages to save the team members one by one, but at the end, on the verge of losing herself, finds she can't take the gloves off without destroying them. She's doomed to lose control or suffer the fate she saved the team from, gamma explosion. Hulk says a variation of "forget it!" takes the gloves off of her, damaging them in the process but curing her with the damaged gloves, but they are fried from curing Widow and the damage Hulk did getting them off Widow, making them useless. It would have solidified that Hulk/Widow bond they were going for in the script as well.

It is surprising that Red Skull and MODOK were behind this, not Abomination or Red Skull. The Leader in particular would have been useful in this plot, The Leader would have helped Red Skull figure out what would make Thor immune as you said and change that, thus avoiding that particular logic failure.

Thor should not have been affected. "An Asgardian has no need of such protection". My guess the reason why they went against that rule is 1. laughs, and 2. to avoid redoing what EMH did with Thor being unaffected by gamma radiation. Problem is it contradicts the books.
    Can you believe i actually forgot about Generator Rex? And it's true, they could have gotten the artist who design the monsters from GR or Thomas Perkins since they have worked together but either they didn't think about them or that their services are too high but i doubt it since it shows that with USM seems to have the same team of animators from GR, mostly the background music you can identify the tone in a second.

That would have gave her a nice performance but as i mention MOA missed that opportunity and just gave a bland victory.

I know right, seems like they want The Red Skull and MODOK create everything where other villains that have more experience on that field like The Leader couldn't ask them to help get revenge on the Avengers unless Red Skull has a BIG ego that doesn't admit getting help. This is the problem they have in the show where the Red Skull is behind everything yet leaving potential villains to face the Avengers are not in it, really need to work on that and add more villains also that they are not affiliated with the skull.

They could have made the excuse where Thor has gone to Asgard, i know it's a very lame excuse on not having the character but it's better then having him turn into something where Asgardians are suppose to be unaffected by science.
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought the plot with the Avengers turning into Hulks was only so-so. It was good to see Hulk teaching them control, the whole perspective flip, and Captain America's line at the end about Hulk being "the strongest one there is". Otherwise, they didn't do much aside from have Hawkeye get hungry and Thor get self conscious about his helmet.

I was much more engaged in the Black Widow story. I liked her dynamics with Fury and her divided loyalty. Of course the Hulk is dangerous, but no one knows that more than the Hulk itself, and Widow had to make a judgment call regarding the security measures against him.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2