toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

65 & 52 episodes

Like This Thread!

Is it just me, or are these two numbers starting to get kind of annoying? We've had four Marvel series end with this number and honestly, some of those times felt forced. One of them is Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes had one of the worst finales I have ever seen. It was on the same level of Wolverine and the X-Men, which also had a pretty bad last episode. The entire episode was forced and rushed in my opinion and it feels like someone should have known that it would fit better as a 2-parter. The 65 episode thing is also irritating, though it has not been done with Marvel except for once and that is really the reason I have not complained about it as much. I just get tired of these shows ending at the same numbers over, and over, and over again. Also, and this still does with numbers, has anyone realized that Ultimate Spider-Man is the first Marvel series to get a third season since X-Men: Evolution? Isn't that sad? Isn't that pathetic? Alright, I'm cooled now, but someone give me some feedback on what they think of this rant.

Roxas_Sora is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm with you there, pal. With "Avengers Assemble" and "Hulk and the agents of S.M.A.S.H." just starting, I just hope the third season of "Ultimate Spider-Man" won't be just 13 episodes. In fact, I hope it get a four season!!

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The reason why those numbers are used is because they make better syndication packages. 65 episodes can be broadcast 5 days a week for 13 weeks, which means you can air the entire series exactly 4 times a year. 52 episodes means you can air the whole series once a week for a year.

Variations on this math are why most episode orders end up being multiples of 13.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingJustin View Post
    Is it just me, or are these two numbers starting to get kind of annoying? We've had four Marvel series end with this number and honestly, some of those times felt forced. One of them is Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes had one of the worst finales I have ever seen. It was on the same level of Wolverine and the X-Men, which also had a pretty bad last episode. The entire episode was forced and rushed in my opinion and it feels like someone should have known that it would fit better as a 2-parter. The 65 episode thing is also irritating, though it has not been done with Marvel except for once and that is really the reason I have not complained about it as much. I just get tired of these shows ending at the same numbers over, and over, and over again. Also, and this still does with numbers, has anyone realized that Ultimate Spider-Man is the first Marvel series to get a third season since X-Men: Evolution? Isn't that sad? Isn't that pathetic? Alright, I'm cooled now, but someone give me some feedback on what they think of this rant.
    I don't think it's sad and pathetic at all. If anything, I think its good a new Marvel show is getting support and is getting to be on so long. Ultimately whether a show gets some imagined magical number of episodes, I just want it to be a good and enjoyable show. Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite shows ever but what is there? Just 26 episodes and a movie. If you want to get technical, there's a recap episode with some new voice-overs by the Japanese voice cast, but that's it.

X-Men Evolution may have had 4 seasons but it still has the same number of episodes of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes at the end of the day. So why is that so terrible? I understand you like certain shows and want them to go longer, but unfortunately this is generally the nature of the beast for action cartoon shows.

A lot of shows get cancelled after a while some before their time. That's never going to change. At least with Earth's Mightiest Heroes we got a decent ending instead of some earth shattering cliffhanger.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post

A lot of shows get cancelled after a while some before their time. That's never going to change. At least with Earth's Mightiest Heroes we got a decent ending instead of some earth shattering cliffhanger.
    That's true tho personally i would have liked that they had ended with the Kree saga with a 3 part episode instead of just finishing it with Galactus, i feel that he's something big that takes not just 1 episode.
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Avengers EMH left a lot of subplots unfinished like the Surtur one.

To be honest we kinda get shafted by creators and writers who just go on too long with story. It rarely goes opposite when shows like Avatar gets a sequel series and is able to expand.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Even Avatar ended with loose threads and unresolved subplots. There was never any guarantee in 2008 that another show would get made that continued the story. Just a lame live action movie that almost killed the franchise.

But greenman is right in that a lot of creators and writers sometimes shaft us with the ending and it's rare for an Avatar situation to happen.

That's true tho personally i would have liked that they had ended with the Kree saga with a 3 part episode instead of just finishing it with Galactus, i feel that he's something big that takes not just 1 episode.
    Galactus is a better epilogue though because he's there to eat the planet and all the heroes on Earth assemble together to stop him. Sort of underscores the whole message of the show. Assembled we are strong. Together fight as one.

-CM Punk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I don't think it's sad and pathetic at all. If anything, I think its good a new Marvel show is getting support and is getting to be on so long. Ultimately whether a show gets some imagined magical number of episodes, I just want it to be a good and enjoyable show. Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite shows ever but what is there? Just 26 episodes and a movie. If you want to get technical, there's a recap episode with some new voice-overs by the Japanese voice cast, but that's it.

X-Men Evolution may have had 4 seasons but it still has the same number of episodes of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes at the end of the day. So why is that so terrible? I understand you like certain shows and want them to go longer, but unfortunately this is generally the nature of the beast for action cartoon shows.

It's not about the number of episodes, at least in terms of seasons. It's the fact that most of these shows that get 52 episodes by the second season, do not get a third. I knew Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was not going to get a third season right when the second season was pushed back. That's how bad this has gotten, to where I can almost predict the future when it comes to these shows.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I heard that the reason why most shows end at either 52 episodes or 65 episodes is to prevent the show from going stale as most children's cartoons I've seen ended at either 52 or 65 episodes. I will admit that I also get annoyed by this since I see the show can have more stories to tell if they go beyond the 65 episode limit, but if the show runs of the risk of going stale, then it might be best to end it at 65 episodes. I just hope they have proper finales to make all this worth it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingJustin View Post
    It's not about the number of episodes, at least in terms of seasons. It's the fact that most of these shows that get 52 episodes by the second season, do not get a third. I knew Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was not going to get a third season right when the second season was pushed back. That's how bad this has gotten, to where I can almost predict the future when it comes to these shows.
    I'm not really seeing the "bad" in this though. What number would be acceptable to you? Because 100 eps are more is a little unrealistic for a lot of these shows.

We already know that Ultimate Spider-Man is getting more than 52 episodes, so I mean . . . you can't really predict that ending at 52 now.

-CM Punk

Rick Jones is offline Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not understanding what there is to be mad about. Between 1992 and 2010, most Marvel series made either capped off somewhere between 13 and 26 episodes. Heck, this was even a thing in the 80s when the big hit series only clocked in at 24 episodes. Marvel series are consistently going longer now than they ever have. 52 episodes is seriously nothing to slouch at and I'd take that over watching a series go so long that it becomes fatigued. I could have done with more AEMH or even a true spinoff series like so many of the longer running action series get but 52 episodes is still a lot to enjoy (whether you like all 52 or not). I'm really happy that 52 has at least become the new average for episode count. If anything I'd just hope for a higher average of quality with the numerous series.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

KCJ506 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Out of all the Marvel and DC cartoons, I believe the only ones to make it past 65 episodes were X-men TAS and Batman TAS.

When it came to old school Disney cartoons, 65 episodes was the limit. This also applied to the live action Disney shows as well. I believe the only one that actually had more than 65 was That's So Raven.

Dsneybuf is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Several Disney Channel shows following Raven's exceeded that number.

CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    These shows should last over 100 episodes. There is plenty of material from the comics to draw from.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    These shows should last over 100 episodes. There is plenty of material from the comics to draw from.
    Or...

-CM Punk